New Look Forum Style!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

Re: New Look Forum Style!

Post by Serinde »

Wow! Pretty impressive. :applesauce: :applesauce: All I can see -- apart from being able to get to New Posts without going via the Board index -- is that I don't have access to my Mod tools (the quick ones, and can't find the "big" panel), as it says there's a general error. I'm looking forward to trying out all sorts of things -- even the tools above the "post a reply" box have expanded the possibilities. It's also nice to see that our violets are still in residence. :) And is it just my imagination, or are all the images crisper?
cairee

Post by cairee »

I cant see any of the tools for posting a reply (the ones like font color, size, url etc.) I also cant find any buttons for quotes, editing a post I already made, or the symbols that denote announcements, and stitcky posts. I dont know if its my browser or the forum
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

The icons have been changed. If you look at the icons above the reply box they are all still there.
The edit, delete, report, information and quote icons are in the upper right corner of the reply to post box.

If you hold your curser over the icon it should show what it is, unless you are using a mobile device. Then if I can't remember I just guess.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Ummm! What a shock! Thought it was an error when I logged on!! :shock: :tizzy: :tizzy:

Still I guess, like everything I'll get used to where everything is. :thinks:

Best way to do that is to dip about looking at everything.

I will say that it looks clean and fresh!
Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this to keep us up and running smoothly! :toast:
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Ruthi wrote:Me no likee!

But only for one reason. I now have to navigate back to the him?e page to find 'view active topics' whereas it used to be at the bottom of every page.

Other than that its better on Android.
I agree!! I found myself reading more than writing because since the kid I jump on on my mobile ormtab more than anything else and it was HORRIBLE to post with via android I am loving this!!!
zookx

Post by zookx »

THanks everyone, I'm glad its mostly positve feedback :D
rcperryls wrote:
Also if anyone has figured out how to get to new posts after reading a new thread without having to go back to the board index/home page please let me know. Its only a few extra steps so it isn't a big deal, but it was a habit I had and wouldn't mind continuing if possible. :thinks:
fccs wrote: Next question...is there a quick way to get back to "new posts" w/o having to go all the way back to the home page? If not, can we add a button that would appear at the bottom or top of pages? (It's probably already there and I'm overlooking it...that's the bad part of new formats encountered when very tired. :-))
Allyn wrote:Having to go back to the Board Index to find the links to view active topics, view unanswered topics, etc, is a bit cumbersome. I like the better security, but the navigation doesn't seem as intuitive and user-friendly as the old layout.
bookknurd wrote:I think Carole already mentioned it, but is there anyway to get the active topics link (and the other links that are up there with it) on pages beside the board index page? Not a huge deal, for sure, but it was a functionality that I used a lot (since I read thread from the active topics page and not the main index pages).

Other than that, I think I like the new, snazzy look just fine! :)
Clearly a much needed modification. The 'New Posts' menu should now show on forum and posts pages as well.

And seeing this next one, if its usefull, then it could also be added to the bottom of each page too?
Ruthi wrote:Me no likee!

But only for one reason. I now have to navigate back to the him?e page to find 'view active topics' whereas it used to be at the bottom of every page.

Other than that its better on Android.
maemae0410 wrote:I like I like! Will the forum nownworkmwith any of the forum apps like tap talk? Or is still best tongo through the main site??
We kind of did this to help people view the site without having to use third party apps, but if anyone is using an app and its working then thats great.
Rose wrote:Also I looked in the section marked The Team and you have missed karen4bells as a moderator. Not a huge thing but just an oversight.
I really can't work out why she isn't showing up there. I may just remove that link for now as it doesn't really do anything of worth. Am confused why she isn't showing though :thinks:

And
Rose wrote:
...As long as you are fiddling around on the forum could you add a smilie of some one stitching, and also one of a lion tamer with a whip and a chair PLEASE!!!!!!

Thank you for getting us upgraded this will be fun to relearn!!!!!!

:liontamper: :stitching:

Is about the best I can do at the moment :)

Still some things behind the scenes to do, and a new/better chatbox for the front page to set up, but I think we are getting there. Thanks for helping each other figure some of the things out too - I'm trying to keep everything working whilst removing/updating the site as I know we don't like downtime here, so I don't have the time I'd like to answer every query.

Best,
Chris @ Zookx
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

Was a little shocked when I came home. I left for work and when I got back the forum looked different. Sometimes when my internet acts up, the pages look different than I'm used to, then I saw the topic title. I think it will take some getting used to, but it's. Nice style.
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

Is there any way of making the writing in the posts show up a wee bit darker or even just on my screen as i am finding it a bit harder to read now. Otherwise it all looks really nice and modern without being too different to what we are used to. :)
cairee

Post by cairee »

The icons have been changed. If you look at the icons above the reply box they are all still there.
The edit, delete, report, information and quote icons are in the upper right corner of the reply to post box.

If you hold your curser over the icon it should show what it is, unless you are using a mobile device. Then if I can't remember I just guess.

Carole
:tizzy:
I know where the editing buttons should be, they just arent there. I have font size, but nothing else. if I hover I can see what is there but its not actually visible. I can deal with it but its frustrating.

ah found the edit a post button, again by hovering my mouse until I found something clickable, but not visible. :?
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Rose

Post by Rose »

Chris you are so awesome!!!!!!! Yes we may have a bit to learn and nothing comes without a few little glitches but you did a wonderful job keeping the forum going. I find this just as easy to navigate as the other format. You guys are geniuses!!!!!!

And I love the new smilies!!!!!!! :liontamper: :stitching: .......... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:mexicanwave: :mexicanwave: :mexicanwave: Great job Chris and a big thank you for upgrading us---I think it looks great and it's not really difficult at all for me to get used to!! Thanks!!! Love the new smilies too :)
:stitching:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I'm sorry, I don't care for it. For my eyesight, I have to enlarge most web sites. By the time I enlarge this site, it spreads it all over the screen. Not an easy read for me. I do understand the hard work of keeping up a forum and the need for change! I'm glad it's ok for most of the users.
AllStitchedUp

Post by AllStitchedUp »

I like the changes for the most part, the one thing that is hard for me is having people's names and info on the Left, I like to see who's post I'm reading before I read it and to me that would naturally start on the right.

But it's not all that much of a bother...
Nice work :-)
Enjoy!

~Nicole
(AllStitchedUp)

WIP:
Lily of the Valley, Nora Corbett
August Peridot Fairy, Nora Corbett
Alpaca Cria, Jo Lynch (my first HAED!!!)

Completed 2014:
Girl With Cosmos
Phoenix Rising
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Just want to say thank you for keeping us up to date, safe and secure. The more I work with this format, the more I like it. And thank you for so quickly responding to the request about the links for new and active posts. Top and bottom of the page! :whoop: And for our fun new smilies too! :liontamper: :stitching: :whoop: :tizzy: (I especially have loved using these last two!! :whoop: )

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
zookx

Post by zookx »

Not a problem. We are here to help and other than updating the code the main driving force behind this update is to try make the forum easier to and better to use.

I've made some of the icon and font colours darker today in an effort to make them easier to spot and/or read.

If the forum text does look small on your computer then I would sugest maybe trying a diffrent browser - in testing the site I've noticed Google Chrome seems to display the text much smaller than other browsers on my laptop?

Is the chatbox on the homepage working for everyone, its working for me (and more up-to-date than the old one) but nobody else has posted in it so I'm wondering if its showing up for you all?
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

Ah yes I was using chrome, switched to IE and lots better for me to see thanks for the tip :)
Lizzieh

Post by Lizzieh »

Really like the new look.
With the old one I used to scroll down to find the first post that I hadn't read in a topic for instance under general and then as I read each one I would just click on next topic and it would go to the next one. I can't see any way of doing this without going back to the list of threads each time and scrolling down to the next oldest one. If that makes any sense to anyone I shall be surprised!
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I think it makes sense. What you don't see is a "Next topic" link, right? I never used those because I usually do the "new post" method of catching up, but when I have been gone for several days, there are so many that I usually started with the SAL forum and then General or Welcome etc. And never even thought about using the Next topic link. I'm sure that Chris is checking this thread regularly so he should see your post and let us know if it is possible to add that or not.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I still get caught out when signing on!! :doh:

Yes I do know where the 'log-in' box is!!!....But we Wombats are slow learners! :tizzy: :tizzy:
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

I go away on baby duty for a couple of months and BAM! All new forum look! It looks nice but it will take some getting used to it, as the old one felt so familiar. :)

I miss everyone and hope to stop by soon with some news from my end, and some pictures of baby Erik. :)
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)