New Look Forum Style!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

zookx

New Look Forum Style!

Post by zookx »

A big change I know.

Its been a long time coming, the forum style has remained the same for around eight years now and while we all still do like the way it looks technology and the way many of us browse and use websites has changed a lot over the past few years.

So we've made a new template, we've tried to keep it close to the style of the old one and we will also be making a few more small changes and adding some finishing touches over the coming days. The new template should work better on phones and other devices and also is more up-to-date both code and security wise.

:x: I believe we've successfully carried everything over from the old site but if we've missed anything plesase let us know in this thread.

I know change is often unwelcome on familiar websites but updating the site has been long overdue and I hope that we've done it in a way that will improve and make using the site easier and better (Once you find where everything is - I'm still having to do that myself ).

Feedback is welcome of course and we'll try to help or look into any issues you may find.

Thank you.

Chris @ Zookx
zookx

Re: New Look Forum Style!

Post by zookx »

It seems the first problem is that the chat-box isn't working as yet... :thinks:
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

I'm loving the new look really great! Nice surprise for me when I popped on just now :wink:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

Gosh! It's certainly different. I thought I'd logged on to the wrong place.

It looks good :applesauce: . i'm sure I'll get used to it.
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Oh my goodness this wil take a little bit of getting used to -- came back after a weekend away and thought I'd done something wrong in logging in :-).

It's a nice clean look and it'll soon feel as familiar as the old style I'm sure. Thank you for keeping the forum up to date and suitable for people using new means of accessing it!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Uhm, how do i find out what all the little icons mean? So, how can i see that it's a post I've contributed to, and which one means Unread, and so on? Or is there an overview somewhere really obvious and I've just missed it?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Definitely easier to read on my iPad and expect to to be easier for phones as well. Like all changes will take time time to get used to, finding where old things used to be and what is a bit different. And what seems different but really isn't. And definitely worth it for the updated security. I expect it won't be long before it's hard to remember how "it used to be."

Carole
:D

eta: Mabel, if you hold your curser over the icons, it will show you what some of them are. A thread with unread posts is a green sheet (I think those are sheets of paper?), a white sheet means you have read all the posts. I think. I'm not sure but I think the check mark means you have posted to this thread. I don't know how to do that with a tablet or phone, but I don't think you could do that before on mobile devices.

Also if anyone has figured out how to get to new posts after reading a new thread without having to go back to the board index/home page please let me know. Its only a few extra steps so it isn't a big deal, but it was a habit I had and wouldn't mind continuing if possible. :thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

Wow. I thought I'd taken a wrong turn somewhere!
It'll take some getting used to, but I'm sure it will work out great. :thumbsup:
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I think Carole already mentioned it, but is there anyway to get the active topics link (and the other links that are up there with it) on pages beside the board index page? Not a huge deal, for sure, but it was a functionality that I used a lot (since I read thread from the active topics page and not the main index pages).

Other than that, I think I like the new, snazzy look just fine! :)
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Ooooo, did anyone notice that you can save a draft of your post? Was that already a thing and I just didn't notice it? Either way, it's a great feature. :)
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

WOw :shock: :shock: This is huge, thought I left my computer on 150%.
Like the new look, will take a bit to get used to but wow. :wave:
Linda
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I see something I don't like, no editing?So I can't fix my screwups? I say the quote button Or am I missing something, :tizzy:
Linda
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Oh , something else I just thought of, how do we change the topic subject line now?.
Linda
zookx

Post by zookx »

mauveme wrote:I see something I don't like, no editing?So I can't fix my screwups? I say the quote button Or am I missing something, :tizzy:

Is there not an edit icon, pencil and paper, showing to the far right of the post title for you? I get one on my posts - will log in with a test account tomorrow and see.

I see the benefit of having a new posts link on each page, we should be able to do that same as we did before.

Will check in tomorrow and hopefully sort out some of these things.
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Crikey, I thought the computer was having a funny turn!!
It looks very clean and tidy and I'm sure I'll get used to it. :)
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
starshine123102

Post by starshine123102 »

WOW! I like the new look, much more modern looking :)

I was on at work before lunch, and came back during lunch and it had changed....I thought i did something wrong.

SO SO SO much easier to use on my phone now!!! LOVE!
Michelle
:ratherbe:

2016 FINISHES:
All Hallows Eve (Glendon Place)
Delightful Fruits - Grapes (CSN 3/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Apples
Delightful Fruits - Berries (CSN 5/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Pears

2017 WIP:
Christmas House
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Just discovered something which y'all may have already found but I was having trouble getting to the first unread post in a thread. clicked on the subject and then would have to click on the "First unread post" in the upper right corner. If you haven't noticed there is a faint white arrow in a grey circle right in front of the Subject of the thread. If you click on it, you will get to the first unread post in that thread. Doesn't tell you that when you hold your curser over the button. Actually, the threads I tried it on only had one unread post so I'm assuming it will take you to the first one. The grey arrow after the name of the last poster will take you directly to that post (like the button or whatever it was did in the old format. How quickly I forget :oops: )

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
calico

Post by calico »

Looks great! Good timing, too...I got a new iPhone 5s this weekend with the latest OS (I was still using OS 5 on my old phone so tons have changed), So I can get used to all the new stuff at the same time. I like updates even though they take a little bit to get used to. I know in a few days I won't remember what the old site, (or my old phone) was like :applesauce:
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Oh I love this!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Thanks for all your work!
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

I like I like! Will the forum nownworkmwith any of the forum apps like tap talk? Or is still best tongo through the main site??