ISO Rainbow Birds on a Branch (1980s)

Post your wanted list here

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

bip

ISO Rainbow Birds on a Branch (1980s)

Post by bip »

Hello,
My grandmother made this cross stitch some time in the 1980s and I have been dying to make it for years:

I asked her for the pattern about 10 years ago, but she couldn't find it and couldn't remember the publisher. She has since passed and the pattern didn't turn up in her things. My uncle is keeping the original, but either way, I would really like to make it myself. She was really special to me and I know I will think about her while I make it.

I do cross stitch, but I don't know who the big pattern publishers were in the 1980s or really where to start looking. I recently found this forum, and looking through the other WANTED posts, I am amazed at this community's knowledge of patterns. Even if you don't know the pattern, if you could suggest some possible publishers that would be really helpful.

I hope it isn't rude that my first post is asking for help finding a pattern. I would love to contribute to the forum in the future, but for the moment I am kind of fixated on getting this pattern in my clutches.

Thanks in advance.
fccs

Re: ISO Rainbow Birds on a Branch (1980s)

Post by fccs »

I don't have an answer for you; I Googled the image but there were no matches. I Googled "birds on a branch cross stitch" and came up with a few similar designs, but not the one you need. I hope someone else on the forum can help. It's a pretty design and obviously has very special meaning to you.

And welcome to the forum!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
stitchnkitty

Post by stitchnkitty »

This is Rainbow Birds by Monarch Horizons - there is one on Ebay - hope you are monitoring this site because it will close soon.
bip

Post by bip »

Oh my gosh, thank you! I had been watching ebay frequently before posting here, but since I wasn't sure of the maker, I had kind of lost hope and stopped watching. Thanks!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: :applesauce: I hope you get it Debby as it really is a gorgeous design and has such special meaning for you.

:wave: Hi and Welcome to the forum too. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
LastingAllure

Post by LastingAllure »

Oh I do hope you stick around and share your progress on this beautiful pattern when you do get it! Such a lovely sentiment to your grandmother :)
bip

Post by bip »

I've been out of pocket since I first posted - a month of company then travel. Good fun, but not conducive to internetting. I'm home and all is quiet, so hopefully I'll be able to participate more. Thanks for the warm welcome!
stitchnkitty

Post by stitchnkitty »

I am a shop owner and have been around for more years than I can say.. My sis and I can usually tell by the look who designed it and who published it.. I guess that is telling how long we have been around needleart.. Now I am not saying that we can solve all mysteries.. but we have done our share around the forums..

I dont know much about ebay but I noticed that there where 3 watchers so I hope you succeed! Stitchnkitty :D
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum! I hope you find the pattern and that you will post pics of your progress. What other types of projects do you like to do?

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
bip

Post by bip »

I'm afraid my taste is a bit off-beat. I manage to knit and quilt normally, but cross stitch is a special outlet for me and all my subjects are tongue-in-cheek (and almost all from the same pattern designer). Here's my first effort, a joke on texting:

And from there I went on to make a number of silly projects from the same designer.

A goof on the double rainbow guy:

Arrested Development-inspired goofyness:

Family Guy:

My first really challenging project, Breaking Bad-inspired "Kiss the Cook":

And last year's mystery Stitch-a-long from Steotch (the maker of all the above patterns). This Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction (I left the mis-quoted Bible verse out of the picture - the mis-quote is from the movie though):

I've done two others not from Steotch. I got this first pattern to make for DH who had a kidney transplant about 10 years ago, but when he saw it he was not entertained, so I didn't make it for him. However a friend of mine's husband is having terrible kidney problems which will soon culminate in a transplant. They have a wicked sense of humor, so I made it for them (with the assurance that if it ever became un-funny, they could get rid of it, destroy it, whatever they needed to do - completely guilt-free). While I was working on it, my dad saw it and I explained the story of who I was making it for and he said if they didn't want it, he would like it. He is the one who donated the kidney to my DH, so I am making him one too. I can't find the picture of the finished one, but you get the idea:

The second one is my own design, based on a poster my friend (the one I made the kidney one for) posted on FaceBook and said she HAD to have it. I felt like not only did she need to have it, it needed to be cross stitched, not just a poster. So I made up a little pattern for the lettering (the original was all black and white, but I felt like the word "life" was begging for some color/bolding) and found a free pattern for a tree. I am quite proud of it and might make a second for myself.

I am currently working on the second "Urine for a Treat" for my dad, as well as this year's mystery stitch-a-long from Steotch which has one more installment but so far appears to be some joke about Snoopy (much easier than last year's Samuel L. Jackson!)

In the queue, I have a great pattern for an X-ray of a hand and a few other goofy Steotch patterns that I may or may not get around to (I mean really, how many bad pop culture jokes can one person stitch?!) And hopefully I will pick up the Rainbow Birds kit!
bip

Post by bip »

Sorry for the size of some of the images. I set them all to the same size (300 wide) but they came out all over the map. All the photo sharing sites are so "new and improved" I can barely figure them out anymore.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Those are fun (I like the last one best...it made me chuckle). I think one of the (many!!) things I love about this forum is the wide range of designs and themes we stitch.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Welcome from the West of Scotland! :wave: Ain't it grand how everyone is different. I presume you've come across Mr XStitch? Subversive stitching is his game. 8)