I know this is a longshot...DMC Needed!

Post your wanted list here

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

playswithpaper

I know this is a longshot...DMC Needed!

Post by playswithpaper »

Can't hurt to ask....these are the ones I'm missing for a chart I have,

If anyone has any of these they can part with just let me know how much. (crossing my fingers!)
Serinde

Re: I know this is a longshot...DMC Needed!

Post by Serinde »

Well, can't fault you for cheek. 8) In fact, you'll have your work cut out. These are ombre DMC threads that don't seem to be available anymore. If you know which shades are involved, you might check to see if any of the DMC Colour Variations fit the bill. These mostly have very subtle gradations in colour and blend in with DMC single colour floss, too. With some digging on the American DMC site, you can find out exactly which colours make up each variation, which is jolly useful.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Were any of the colors you need similar to the DMC color variations? I think when they developed the 4000 series that the previous variegated floss were mostly discontinued. If Serinde's suggestion doesn't help, maybe you can do some substituting?

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
playswithpaper

Post by playswithpaper »

Thanks Serinde....you are right...I have my work cut out for me lol. I was looking on a DMC blog...where someone asked about the variegated colors vs the color variations....this was the reply...

admin

June 6th, 2014 8:59 am

Author's Reply

Hi Katie – Thanks for the question! No, they are different. The Variegated is a floss with different shades of the same color family (for example, Color #115 features different intensities and shades of the color red), while variations has the look of an over-dyed floss and contains colors from multiple families (for example, color 4030 features blue, green purple and teal).

I do have a few of the color variations...and might just have to lay one out...see if parts could be used? Somewhere I read the J&P Coats has some variegated that were similar to the dmc variegated....I will try researching this. The chart only uses 11 colors (all variegated) I've managed to located all but the ones I've listed here. Here is what I need it for....Isn't it beautiful?

playswithpaper

Post by playswithpaper »

rcperryls wrote:Were any of the colors you need similar to the DMC color variations? I think when they developed the 4000 series that the previous variegated floss were mostly discontinued. If Serinde's suggestion doesn't help, maybe you can do some substituting?

Carole
:thinks:

Thanks Carole....yes, if I can't make the color variations work, I'll have to do some sort of substituting...(though I'll continue to search for the ones I'm missing)

Wish me luck ladies!!! :)
fccs

Post by fccs »

It is beautiful, and I think given the design, you should be able to find similar colors in some of the overdyed fibers out there. I wish you luck finding what you need and hope you'll share progress pictures of this when you start.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

Wow that must be a really old chart, as the DMC shopper's list I have from 2009 doesn't have any of those numbers listed on it. Perhaps you can work out which colour each one was and match it to the current numbers

Both 123 Stitch and SewandSo have them listed still on their websites

123 Stitch

Sew and So
playswithpaper

Post by playswithpaper »

fccs wrote:It is beautiful, and I think given the design, you should be able to find similar colors in some of the overdyed fibers out there. I wish you luck finding what you need and hope you'll share progress pictures of this when you start.
Thanks Debby....I never even thought about overdyed floss. That certainly is a possibility. I was able to locate #103. And I think I have #62 worked out. Apparently (after a lot of research) J&P Coats made a #181 which has since been changed to #201....and that is supposed to be similar to DMC #62. So I also have that on the way to me. It looks like it will be a good substitute. So that just leaves me with 3 that I'll have to work out.

Kimkat...It is a really old chart...was from Cross Stitch and Country Crafts 1988! @rotfl: Thank you for the links...the only ones I'm lacking are the ones they have discontinued. So I have to find them on Ebay, Etsy...etc. I'm getting there! :)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Glad you are having pretty good luck sourcing the colours. I have pals who work in Oxfam etc., and they are often given really old skeins (I've recently been given ancient Anchor threads; if you can find equivalent numbers, I'm happy to look through these skeins). I'll keep my eyes pealed. It's a lovely design!
playswithpaper

Post by playswithpaper »

Serinde wrote:Glad you are having pretty good luck sourcing the colours. I have pals who work in Oxfam etc., and they are often given really old skeins (I've recently been given ancient Anchor threads; if you can find equivalent numbers, I'm happy to look through these skeins). I'll keep my eyes pealed. It's a lovely design!
Thanks Serinde.....I was just going thru missing colors again...a pink, a tangerine, and a turquoise......and I just think I might have this worked out. The #108 (pattern calls it tangerine) well...it looks like I can use #51 (oranges) which I do have. The #62 (pink)...I think I can use #48 which I do have (it has light and dark pink) and the last one, the #91 (turquoise) well....I don't have a turquoise. But, looking at the picture...it's only used in a couple places...head of the birds and far right bottom planter...and it appears more blues in the picture...I'm thinking I can use #93 (which I do have) so, by George! I think I might have it all figured out! I have 3 coming in the mail....When I have them all in hand, I should be able to get a pretty good idea if it will all work. At any rate, thank for all your help/suggestions ladies! I don't have fabric yet...I'm not sure what I want to go with. The model is on 26ct linen over 2. I know I don't want my first try with linen to be this chart...well, for one...it's kind of fiddly...you cut the ombre floss in approx. 18" lengths...in the middle of the lightest..so you have two groups...light to med...and med to dark. The just go by chart to see where you use light group and dark group...etc. I'm probably not explaining it very well....but the point is...yeah....I'll go with a smaller design for my first linen experience. Now is I can find some Lugana or fiddlers cloth or some other evenweave, I may go that route. I'm thinking I would like a 26c for my first over 2 experience! I could even use aida as it's all whole crosses! Goodness....Didn't mean to write a book! lol Carry on! lol
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Good to know you have got it pretty well sussed out Elaine. Good luck with working out what fabric to use. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Excellent lateral thinking! And remember, this is a Stitch Police Free Zone, so it is possible to use colours to suit you/your decor and even ( :shock: ) to cut unwanted colours out of variegated threads... :whistle: :shifty:
stitchnkitty

Post by stitchnkitty »

I have 62;91; and108
mandygill

Post by mandygill »

Hiya,

Hope all is going well?

I am aware this is a long shot too. But try Spinning Jenny.

I have got in contact with them in the passed and have come up trumps.

This is there Web-site Link:-

http://www.spinningjenny.co.uk" target="_blank

Just send them a E-Mail or give them a call you never know its worth a go Maybe!!!

Good Luck Mandy (",) Xxxx