Not sure if this is the right forum - lessen pallette.

Post your wanted list here

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Karamo

Not sure if this is the right forum - lessen pallette.

Post by Karamo »

So I want to make this one for a friend, but I think there are way too many colors. I've got a lot of dmc colors but not exactly fifty shades of light purple. Is there a way I can lessen the amount of shades (not making it boring and 4 colors that is). I'm no computer wiz and just "squaring" the imagine to me a good hour ._.;

The other option is that maybe someone can help me out with where to find DMC threads respresenting all the colors. They don't cost a lot so I can afford buying pretty much every single one... But my eye mislead me alot so I usually think a nuance is right and it turns out to be totally wrong, screwing up hours of work.

Sorry if all this has been answered in previous threads but I'm.. Uhm... Eh... I've got no excuse for not using the search function. Tar and feather me if you'd like.

rcperryls

Re: Not sure if this is the right forum - lessen pallette.

Post by rcperryls »

I'm sure your friend would love this. Did you chart it yourself? The reason I’m asking is because most designers have copyrights on their designs and so we can't have the chart fully posted on the forum. Of course, if it is your own design, you can post the chart without any problem.

Naturally, you can post a picture of the finished piece and as many updates of your stitching as you want to share with us. The best place for this is in the SAL section.

If it is a game character, and I don't know about game characters, you might need to have the creator's permission to make a design and stitch it. Some designers are less tolerant about this than others. (Disney is notoriously intolerant of anyone using any of their copyrighted designs.) If it is for your own use it is probably ok, but it’s always polite to ask the designer anyway. Most designers are happy to say yes, if you aren’t hoping to make money stitching their work.

A good way to decide what colors you need is to use the ‪DMC Embroidery Color Card which you can download. You can find a free one here: http://www.yarntree.com/075dmc.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank I think you will be able to match most of your colors to these threads. The more shades of color you use the more detail your piece will have.

Hope this helps.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Oh, heck! We don't tar and feather anybody around here. :ribbit: That's a neat character -- which one is it? Which computer program are you using? (I use MacStitch Pro.) You can cut the number of colours down via the program, of course.

Carole's right about copyright -- it's a minefield you want to avoid!
Karamo

Post by Karamo »

rcperryls wrote:I'm sure your friend would love this. Did you chart it yourself? The reason I’m asking is because most designers have copyrights on their designs and so we can't have the chart fully posted on the forum. Of course, if it is your own design, you can post the chart without any problem.

Naturally, you can post a picture of the finished piece and as many updates of your stitching as you want to share with us. The best place for this is in the SAL section.

If it is a game character, and I don't know about game characters, you might need to have the creator's permission to make a design and stitch it. Some designers are less tolerant about this than others. (Disney is notoriously intolerant of anyone using any of their copyrighted designs.) If it is for your own use it is probably ok, but it’s always polite to ask the designer anyway. Most designers are happy to say yes, if you aren’t hoping to make money stitching their work.

A good way to decide what colors you need is to use the ‪DMC Embroidery Color Card which you can download. You can find a free one here: http://www.yarntree.com/075dmc.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank I think you will be able to match most of your colors to these threads. The more shades of color you use the more detail your piece will have.

Hope this helps.

Carole
:D
I'll get Shigeru Miyamoto, or "Shiggy-Shake" as I call him, on the phone right away ;) Hehe, it's Link from the game series Zelda, arguably the worlds most popular video game series.

These particular sprites are fan made and approved.

I use PhotoShop, just pressing whatever menu or button til something goes my way xD What I did to it was to enlarge it and "square it up". When limiting the color palette I set the mode to PNG-8, remove dithering entirely and reduce the amount of colors the picture can display. The crappy part is that it removed some rather crucial colors (skin tone for example) instead of blending the 90,90,90 with the 90,90,91 ;) But I think there's something with adding particular colors with the eyedropper tool... We'll see what happens, dang redundant though.

Been sorting through my floss now and there are the ones I have;

Green

Turqoise/Greenblue

Blues

Whites

Black

Purples

Pinks

Reds

Oranges

Yellows

Browns

Greys

Weirdly enough all of these colors won't even match half of the REDUCED characters colors xD Might as well invest in every single DMC thread instead of trying to shortcut xd
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Dithering, huh? That's well above my pay grade! :lol: You need to talk to richardandtracy! He's been writing a truly wonderful bit of code here at about page 6, and especially here. You chaps have a lot in common -- I expect to sell lots of beer in the Stash & Grab. 8)
Karamo

Post by Karamo »

Serinde wrote:Dithering, huh? That's well above my pay grade! :lol: You need to talk to richardandtracy! He's been writing a truly wonderful bit of code here at about page 6, and especially here. You chaps have a lot in common -- I expect to sell lots of beer in the Stash & Grab. 8)
Wow, that looks impressive :D I'll be sure to give it my full attention once I've slept away the crazy ;)

Fact is I don't know the meaning of half of the words I use. Whenever I buy a cactus it always dithers and whies well before I can even rationalize why I bought it in the first place, it's unfathomable! I've never heard of a cute Siberian Husky pup dithering though, maybe that would prove a more fruitful endeavour.

(why am I even continuing typing gibberish -_-; Go to bed already Patrik!)

PS: Are there any good high resolution/detail Siberian Husky charts out there?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Karamo wrote:PS: Are there any good high resolution/detail Siberian Husky charts out there?
I'm sure there are -- someone on the forum (can't remember who :oops: ) is working on one, I think. This is a case for GooglePower!
fccs

Post by fccs »

Serinde wrote:
Karamo wrote:PS: Are there any good high resolution/detail Siberian Husky charts out there?
I'm sure there are -- someone on the forum (can't remember who :oops: ) is working on one, I think. This is a case for GooglePower!
There are a couple on crossstitch.com but I'm not sure if they're as detailed as you want. I hope you find one and stitch it and share it with us. :-)

I love dogs, and have a few charts for Samoyeds, plus I created three on my own from pictures I had taken of my kids' three pups, and I have yet to start them. It's amazing how many colors it takes to stitch a white dog. :-)

(And am I the only one here who has never played Zelda? Is this something I need to remedy soon? :-) )
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends