desperately seeking an afghan

Post your wanted list here

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Jmeske

desperately seeking an afghan

Post by Jmeske »

7 ct. (14 threads/inch) cream patrice afghan 49x49 is what the book says. Imcant find it anywhere. Is there something comparable out there. It's from a book copyrighted 2001. Is that too old?? Any help would be appreciated.
karen4bells

Re: desperately seeking an afghan

Post by karen4bells »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum! Hopefully one of our members can help you find the proper afghan material
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

Not sure if any of these would be suitable.

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/category/fabr ... s?TRE00017" target="_blank
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I don't know where you are, so I don't know if you need a U.S. source, a U.K. source or another source entirely.

I know Zweigart makes the Patrice afghan. It's a large center square with smaller squares around the perimeter.

try here:
http://www.crossstitchers.com/shop/stor ... 9320754-57" target="_blank

I also see it here:
http://www.miamicrossstitch.com/jefabric.html" target="_blank

If you can't find the Patrice afghan, there are other center-design afghans out there. With the design dimensions (number of stitches wide and tall) maybe we can help you find an alternative.

WIP
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Out of curiosity, is it for a Precious Moments design? I remember they did a lot of designs for Patrice afghans, and I think it may even be named after the "Pat" who was half of the design team.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

123Stitch has a variety of afghan fabrics available. The Charles Croft afghans are the ones that I prefer (and I have made a lot of these) because the fabric is very sturdy, but very soft. I think both the full size and the baby afghan are 18 count. There is a large center square and 26 smaller squares around the border which are about 100 x 100. I found that with larger designs if you need to stitch over the borders of the smaller square, it is very doable even if it takes a bit more patience. I have also used Anne Cloth and the Lady Elizabeth afghan. Both are easy to use as well. All of them are washable. (I toss them in the washing machine and dryer and have never had a problem). Gentle cycle and cold water.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Jmeske

Post by Jmeske »

Thank you all for your timely responses. It is for a Precious Memories pattern. I have checked the websites posted. One said that the Patrice was sold out and the other has it on a list but is not under products. I won't give up, though!
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I'd contact the folks that mention it on the website even though they don't list it in their products pages. It doesn't hurt to ask. Next, I'd contact Zweigart to find out if they still make that afghan, and if they do, steer you in the direction of a retailer that might have it. They may also be able to tell you if they renamed it, which may be why it's not showing up as Patrice, or they might be able to tell you what they have that's comparable.

With the stitch count of the design, you can look at other afghans to see which center-design ones would be suitable. The difference between doing a 14-count versus an 18-count is just a matter of the finished size of the design.

WIP
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I think "Monks" fabric might be the term used for 7 count cloth. Maybe try adding Monks to all your search terms and see what comes up.

I found this at JoAnn Fabrics in the US. You could go online to Charles Craft's website and see what else they offer.
http://www.joann.com/charles-craft-monk ... 29701.html" target="_blank

Good Luck!!
Jmeske

Post by Jmeske »

It looks like this:
https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/?ui ... sp=safe&zw" target="_blank" target="_blank

What do you think? And thanks for those who have replied.
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I can't connect to the link you posted but I've found another brand that carries a wide selection of 7ct fabrics called Klostern. I've always had good luck with Anne Cloth and you can get it "pre-fringed." You could buy a 14 ct afghan/fabric and stitch over 2 which would make it the same size as a 7ct pattern. Good Luck and Happy Stitching.
Jmeske

Post by Jmeske »

Evidently, it has been discontinued. :( :( :( :( :( :( I guess I need to find something comparable.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Jmeske wrote:Evidently, it has been discontinued. :( :( :( :( :( :( I guess I need to find something comparable.

I am sorry, but do not despair. With the variety of afghan fabrics out there, there will be a suitable substitute. If you want help finding a substitute, give us the stitch count for the center design and then the stitch count for the smaller designs around the perimeter (if there are any).

Monk's cloth, while it can be used for XS, is usually used for Swedish weaving. The weave is very loose and unless you can keep it taut, I feel like it would be hard to XS on. Anne cloth probably wouldn't be suitable since it is 5"x5" squares and if you were looking for Patrice, I'm guessing you need a center-design fabric. Klostern is a 7-count type of aida. It isn't afghan fabric per se, but I guess you could make an afghan out of any fabric.

Charles Craft has an Alphabet afghan with a center design, but it is quite big and the center-design area might be too big for your design. The Baby Alphabet afghan might work. The center design area is 378 x 450 (stitch count -- 18 count) with twenty-six 67x67 blocks around the perimeter. You can check out the details here:
http://www.dmc-usa.com/Products/Ready-t ... fghan.aspx" target="_blank
(Note that is the Baby Alphabet afghan, not the Baby afghan, which is not a center-design afghan)

Another option may be the Gloria afghan from Zweigart. Center design is 413x301 (14-count) with a 4-inch border. If all you have is a center design with no small designs around the perimeter, this might work wonderfully. But, again, the size of the design will be key.
http://www.123stitch.com/item/Zweigart- ... e/123-7794" target="_blank

WIP
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Allyn, your mention of the Gloria afghan reminded me that the Precious Moments designs were by Gloria & Pat; as I said I'm almost sure the Patrice afghan was named after Pat, so the Gloria afghan may well also have been developed especially for their designs!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Allyn, your mention of the Gloria afghan reminded me that the Precious Moments designs were by Gloria & Pat; as I said I'm almost sure the Patrice afghan was named after Pat, so the Gloria afghan may well also have been developed especially for their designs!
I didn't think of that, but you could be right. When the OP gets back to us with the stitch count, we'll know if the Gloria afghan will work.

WIP