Victor Vasarely pattern

Post your wanted list here

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

agi

Victor Vasarely pattern

Post by agi »

Has anyone seen a cross stitch pattern of Victor Vasarely's paintings? I have been looking but haven't found anything yet.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
agi

Re: Victor Vasarely pattern

Post by agi »

Since there were no answers, I wrote to his heir (daughter, I think) and asked for a permission to make a pattern from this:
http://kulpol.ffm-info.net/images/vasarely.gif" target="_blank

I actually tried to do it in PCStitch and it came up with a very good pattern at the first try, I just have to draw the backstitch lines - but I don't want to use it until I hear from them.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."

My blog
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

This is the first time I have seen your post Agi so I had a look at his work :D
I found this reference to transferring his work, Coloured Circles, to tapestry http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,51 ... 15,00.html" target="_blank
agi

Post by agi »

Thank you for the link, Jilly. But there is no picture, is there?

I wonder why he has not yet been discovered by the cross stitch designers, his pictures are so vivid and brilliant and being geometric, easy to transfer to stitches. They also have a contemporary feeling - and there is a shortage of such paterns, I think.
Agi

My blog
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I am very surprised too. That article did make me wonder if the reason is because of the very subtle curving of many of his works, which may be lost in translation.
Jess03

Post by Jess03 »

I just looked him up cause I ha never heard of him before.. I've not seen any of his pieces as cross stitch charts, but does remind me of the fractionals :D I do agree with you aswell Agi, how there appears to be a gap in the market for his works. They're like fractionals but more bold and "pop" out more imo :D
Current :wip:
- Wren
Current Games
:Final Fantasy XIII: :The Sims 2:
My Blog!
Jelu's Cove

Updated: 3Mar10
agi

Post by agi »

Actually it was seeing Busy_B's fractal bookmark and all those patterns on the same site, that reminded me of his work and I started to search.

Yes, Jilly, you may be right, most of his work is about changing the dimensions and the optical characteristics of everyday geometric forms and some of them would be difficult to chart. I tried, and they would only work if done in very big. But there are some, like the Zebras I showed you, and there is one with different colour lines that simply "offer themselves" to be stitched.

I don't know if and when they give me an answer. If I don't hear from them, is it still OK copyright-wise to stitch it for personal use only? And if yes, can I publish photos of the WIP here? Not the pattern, just my stitching?
Agi

My blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I hope you get their permisiion, Agi -- this would be a very interesting one to see develop!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
agi

Post by agi »

She replied. I got no permisson. :( Well, that's it then. Understandable.
I suggested that they make their own patterns and sell them, I wonder if they will consider it. Would be nice.
Agi

My blog
hilofoz

Post by hilofoz »

I have books of Victor Vasarely and MC Escher to name a couple of my favourite artists. It would be relatively easy to recreate some of the designs either with software or even tracing out the shapes. I would love to do this one day. Escher presents different problems, but some designs would be ideally suited to it.
hilofoz

Post by hilofoz »

If you made your own patterns displayed privately at home, I cannot see that there would be a problem. On the other hand, you could design something similar to that kind of optical pattern, rather than copy. I think it were a commercial venture, the copyright is fair enough. There may be an integrity thing about it as well.

In fact, I have software that generates randomised patterns like these, and that certainly would not be copyright. Something as specific as the Giraffes would be, of course.