help re.threads and buttons

Post your wanted list here

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

purple-footprints

help re.threads and buttons

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi all

Im wondering if any of you can tell me where I can buy Anchor multicolour pearl cottons, an example of thread codes are 1305, 1325.

Also I have a DMC book that shows charts that includes using buttons, they are called DMC minatures an example of the codes are KG0034, KG0030.

Obviously I would be looking for a supplier who is as cheap as possible. So far Ive had no luck looking on ebay, or at any online stores that have been advertised in cross stitch mags.

Thanks

Sue
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've always found these multi-coloured threads to be readily available, both in local shops and by mailorder. They aren't cheap, of course! Try this URL:
http://www.willowfabrics.com/acatalog/A ... rle_8.html

I've used them and they're great fun.
purple-footprints

thanks serinde, they are the ones Im looking for :D they are being sold in 82m lengths though.... do you anywhere that sells them in smaller skiens? It seems daft to buy such a big amount for a few charts with minimal stitching.

But thanks, at least I know I can get them somewhere now, I very much appreciate your help there.

Sue
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

As far as I can see, it only comes in skeins of that size. I have found a huge variation in price, though, and the URL I gave you is the cheapest. (They might make it up in P&P, of course...)

You might find that they are such fun to work with that other ideas may pop into your head, and one skein will certainly do several small projects.

One thing I did notice was that you can't always work with these the way you do with ordinary single-colour thread. To get the most pleasing result, sometimes it's best not to stitch from left to right (or right to left, for that matter). Your chart may give you tips on this. The idea is to allow the colour to flow naturally without big breaks. When you start a new thread, for instance, try to make sure you are starting at the right point of the colour stream. Sort of like matching patterns on wallpaper -- you might have to sacrifice a bit of thread to have the right match.

Does that make any sense at all? :?:
purple-footprints

Hi serinde

I think I understand what you mean there. I know its advised to stitch a whole cross stitch and work onwards like that, although I have to confess I usually always stitch like that anyway, unless there is a large block area.

What youre saying re the matching wallpaper thing; I assume....... hold on; for example, say you are stitching a circle shape with a hole in the middle, thereby a ring shape. It would be better to stitch row by row, even though there is the gap in the middle, so that the colour change flows. If you were to stitch around the ring shape, then when the two edges met you risk there being a sudden and very obvious colour change.

Is that right???

Thanks for the tips there.

Sue
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, it depends on the effect you want. Keep in mind that if the circumference of the circle is broad, you will not have a good colour flow anyway. (Most of the thread will be on the back, where no one can see it!) You might want to go around a circle. But for any band patterns, I would tend to stitch across the fabric, crossing (as you do anyway) along the way.

A lot depends on the tones in the multicolour thread to begin with. Some are designed to have quite striking changes (like harlequin). Others are more subtle.

I use these perle 8 cotton for satin stitching and for "blackwork" types of patterns - ones where the cotton goes over more than one fabric thread at a time. You can get some wonderful colour changes. Better, in fact, that I certainly had anticipated (I've always been a bit sceptical about multicolour threads). And so quick to do!
purple-footprints

Thanks for that. I follow what you mean there.

I have to confess that so far I have been very boring with my stitching. Previously I have only stitched pre bought kits.

Just recently I have stitched a couple of charts from magazine Ive bought, but that is very similar to doing a kit.

But Ive been reading in the magazine about veriated threads and also came across a chart that incorporated satin stitch as well. I would like to try these and see how I get on.

The mags suggested using evenweave to do the satin stitch, and I can understand why. Does this mean its impossible to do it on ordinary aida?

Ive never used evenweave, and I have to admit Im a bit nervous at tryign it. I think if I started a design and didnt get on with it, then I wasted alot of time, money and effort. Perhaps you could give me a few tips or recommend a small design I could try to experiment??

Blackwork is something else Ive noticed shown in the mags, and again its something Ive never tried and would like to give a go. I just wish there was somewhere local to me that gave demos and allowed you to sample and experiment before committing to purchases!!

Thanks again for all you advice
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've never used multicolour perle on evenweave, only ever on Aida, so there you go! Evenweave is nothing to be afraid of. You just need good light, or good eyesight (or both), and a bit of time to get used to it. And you already cross your stitches as you go, which is half the battle. Because it's less coarse than Aida, the results (especially on a big piece) are very pleasing. It is more expensive to buy, and if I were starting to use evenweaves, I'd experiment with one that isn't so nubbly. You know -- that has lots of slubs and where the weight of the individual threads varies a lot. Even now, I've had to unpick because a thick thread was next to two thin ones, and I wasn't paying enough attention and stitched over three threads and not two! GRR.

Confession time: I like blackwork, but doing it drives me nuts. It isn't approached the same way as, say, back stitch (that is, just sort of tootling along with your needle). You are working out patterns, putting horizontal stitches in and then vertical and diagonals. Yikes! Those Elizabethans obviously didn't get out enough.

However, I do enjoy doing Assisi work. Have you come across that? It's sort of like a photo negative: you stitch the outline of the designs and then fill in the background with a single colour of x-stitch. That's quite fun. (If we ever have a gallery, I'll put my assisi bellpull up so you can see.)

Have you checked out www.newstitches.com ? Mary Hickmott has an introductory book for blackwork. Also I think that Anchor does one of their little books on blackwork, too. (They also do a useful one on hardanger, which is my favourite form of stitching.)

(The curse of the 'ten-fingered' is being able type fast ... so I do tend to, umm, go on a bit.)

And what's wrong with working on kits and getting designs from magazines?? Nothing, that's what.
purple-footprints

Hi again,

Ok Im being brave, I went into town today, and purchased a small peice of evenweave, and yes it was more expensive. Im not sure what I will do yet, but then Im busy stitching another ballerina for another birthday gift so I have to finish that off first. The one and only local shop I went to had only one evenweave fabric. Forgive my ignorance again, but based on this fabric I have, I dont follow what you mean exactly. This fabric is meant to be 27 count, which I found weird as i thought is came in 28 count. It is even with the holes alot smaller than aida, and I reckon if i stitched using the corner square of a 3x3 grid it wont turn out around the size as a 14 count aida. The individual threads dont vary though.

Assisi - now I know what that is!!!! I hadnt realised it had a name. Those perle threads I was looking for are to do an assisi with. I saw a pic in a mag and thought it looked very affective and fanicied giving it a go as it was a small design. I got stuck when tryign to find the threads, as i mentioned. The reason I mentioned circular shapes was because of that. The design is obviously central, and the crosses come out from it forming a circle around the design. If only I had known it was called assisi you would have understood my ramblings so much more.

Hardanger is something Im unfamiliar with; or at least I think Im unfamiliar. It could turn out I know about it but just didnt realise it had a name, like assisi!

Im kinda sitting in hope that you can show me now we have that gallery!!! :wink:

Now I have a more serious question, re framing. I have been reading and trying to figure the best way to frame. Some mags say its best to sew and kinda weave the back together over the backboard. This leaves me questioning, how to do this so you dont pull the fabric and make it fray. What do you do with the corners. And what kind of backing board do you use.
Now other mags say you should pin the edges to get it in position and tape the fabric to the board. Again what board do you use, and what do you do with the corners.
The mags that say weave it, claim that tapes will not work and will leach onto the design in time staining it - is this true?
and still other mags say to use wadding as well.

Now so far Ive only framed one design, and it was quite small and this was before i got reading. I used a sticky backboard and taped it. I cut the corner on the diagonal so that when i folded it around the back the edges were all flat and neat. Now even with that I had a job to get the back of the frame on!

I now want to frame my ballerinas, and I only have a few days until my friends birthday. I have got mounts this time, and now Im thinking how on earth do i get it to fit in the frame. Also, although i stitched leaving 1.5 inches or so all around, once the size of the mount is taken into account I only have millimeters to work with.
How should i proceed?
Ive considered taping the fabric to the back of the mount even, but then I'll still need something behind the fabric...... I have to confess Im at a loss.
purple-footprints

Hi

I have just had the time of my life!!

I have just discovered a site www.sewandso.co.uk
They stock just about everything you can possibly dream of...... all those weird speciality threads and aidas, beads, accessories, along with tonnes of charts and kits!!!!

I think their prices were reasonable, and the postage costs were next to nothing! But my knowledge is alittle limited when it comes to costs for these sorts of threads. In fact I never knew so many different thred types existed!

Ive found all the fancy threads Ive been hunting for, and decided to try doing a chart with beads, and have just bought some seed beads to experiment with.

The only thing I didnt find were the buttons I was originally looking for at the start of this thread. But I have to confess I didnt look on each and every page, as i should be getting my small daughter to bed, and yet I havent quite gotten around to feeding her yet...... this stitching hobby can cause one to get quite sidetracked at times :oops:

Anyway I hope that site can bring good fortunes to others as well.
bagpuss

Buttons,

Post by bagpuss »

Hi Sue,

I am still working on the buttons. Sorry it is taking a while. I have found a few varieties but not the ones you wanted.

Remember, I said watch this space.............Well keep watching and it will answer a few questions that you have asked :D

Catch up soon.

Bagpuss x
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Purple Foot-prints,
Yes, indeed, the wonders of the internet! And that's a really useful URL.

And Good For You buying a bit of evenweave. The counting is simple: 14 ct Aida is about the same as 27 or 28ct linen. Higher the thread count, the finer the fabric. Generally, you'll stitch over two threads of linen at a time. So, instead of a single stitch over a "block" in Aida, you are stitching over a group of four threads -- two over, two down, two back. See? (Of course, if you are determined to ruin your eyesight, or are doing furnishings for a doll house, you can always go over one thread!)

The finer the fabric, the finer the floss or silks you use to stitch on it, too, remember.

I'll take a picture of my Assisi bellpuil as soon as the camera is recharges. :oops:

Framing: the theory is that you decide what sort of mount you want to use. Then buy some sewing pins (I like the long ones with the coloured heads). Lay your work onto the mounting board so that the borders are where they are supposed to be and all that stuff. Then carefully start pinning from the MIDDLE of the top. Then put a pin in the centre of the bottom, and one in the middle of each of the sides. Then, when you are sure the stitching is in the right place, put all the other pins in at intervals.

Whether you decide to lace the back (long sides first, then fold the fabric over and do the short sides), or use tape is up to you.

Wadding is used usually for footstools, pincushions and the like. Anything you want to stand a bit "proud".

It's a real problem, isn't it, when designers don't include enough material! Do you have any calico (as if you would! I don't!) which you could sew onto the edges, giving you more fabric to play with?

I guess by now you'll have sorted out framing the ballerinas. I guess I would have suggested framing them, but not in any permanent way. Then get them back (!) and think about it some more.

Too late, and not very helpful, I'm afraid. :(