Electronic subscriptions

For members who want to join in an exchange of cards, bookmarks,biscournes and other fun stitching and sharing.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

wwdiva

Electronic subscriptions

Post by wwdiva »

Question...
Do any of you receive your stitching magazines in an electronic format?
I am thinking of subscribing to Cross Stitch Gold and I could have it come to my iPad instead of paper. I get my Cooking Light this way and I like it as I know environmentally it's better and it doesn't take up space.I'm thinking xs would work well as I could work right from the pad and patterns might be somewhat easier due to light resolution and ability to increase image for my middle-aged eyes.
Would love to hear all your thoughts.
Cheers :wine:
PS - is Cross Stitch Gold a good choice? A sample I saw looks like it puts in lots of detailed patterns, which I like.
calico

Re: Electronic subscriptions

Post by calico »

I think it's a great idea and have considered it myself for Cross Stitcher mag because a real subscription is very pricey....but the again there's no free gift with the digital version.
I think in the end I haven't gone that route yet because our 'family iPad' is more than likely going to be used by another family member when I decide to read my mag. Now with iBooks and Kindle, I would just grab my iPhone and read on there because it's easy to adjust the font for the text. However, I downloaded a sample mag from Cross Stitcher and found it really difficult to read on my phone because the layout of the mag forced me to have to move side-to-side, up and down etc..
If the iPad was just mine, I think I would do more subscriptions because I like the idea of having all my mags at my fingertips at home or away.
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I'm just about to subscribe to New Stitches via 'Pocket Mags'

I've already bought 2 magazines as a try-out from them and it's great! :D
I can print off the patterns I want...plus read the magazine on my computer!

http://www.pocketmags.com/viewmagazine. ... w+Stitches" target="_blank

I will investigate Cross Stitch Gold. Thanks! :applesauce:
diamondradleylover

Post by diamondradleylover »

I had a bad experience with a digital edition magazine.

I found this chart I really wanted and so I thought I would just buy the digital version and then print it out. However, I found I couldn't zoom in enough to look at it properly. Then I thought 'oh I'll just print it off' but the digital edition had issues and a lot of the pages of it wouldn't print. Of course the chart I wanted had issues and so I couldn't print it out.

I then had to buy a back issue from ebay so I could get the chart. That one magazine cost me £10.49 in total because I had to re purchase it.It might have just been my luck to get one that was dodgy.

Also, although I thought it was good to read as a digital edition, I don't think I would have been able to cross stitch off it. I like to mark off as I go and I couldn't do that with the digital edition. Plus as I couldn't zoom I couldnt see the colours very well.

I suggest you try a digital edition out first before you subscribe because you might find it that you don't like it. Giving it a try to see if it suits you is probably better than getting the subscription only to find you don't like how it goes.
WIP's

Cupcakes of the Month: Cupcake Two
HAED Mini Strawberry Surf
Cottage of the Month October
Gorjuss Winter Friend
Evedeve

Post by Evedeve »

I actually have the IPad subscript to cross stitch gold.....
You can zoom in on patterns, get the full mag, way cheaper than on the rack, no free gifts though and if you have the other mag apps downloaded (free no subscript) i have found they offer back issues at reduced prices quite often . At thanksgiving (end of nov. for non Americans) i picked up a bunch for 99 cents each cant beat that price. I dont have the ability to print from my ipad (wrong printer sort)so i cant speak to that
They def. take up less/no room, are clear easy access zoom in to read or check a chart. Not sure other than the hazard of it being a little tooo easy to purchase things :) hope that helps
Heather
Blog: http://savouryintoxication.blogspot.com/

WIP:
Cigar box image
Table cloth
Old Dimensions Oriental stitch
God of War II
Smalls
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

You don't get a free gift with Gold or Cross Stitch Collection (another good mag in my opinion) anyway, even if you buy the paper copy, so you wouldn't be missing out if you went digital. I don;t have an ipad (yet :lol: ) so can't be more use I'm afraid.
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

wwdiva