I am new !!

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Jeannine

I am new !!

Post by Jeannine »

hi, I have just registered and wanted to say hello...

I cannot claim to be a cross stitcher although I have been muddling through cross stitch for some years. I have never had a lesson or read a book which is why I have been muddling.

I have bought a rather special kit which I put off buying for a long time and I really want to make a good job of it. Currently the back of my work is a disaster and that of course affects the look of my top stitches. I really need some advice on a good book to buy to try to teach myself the right way..could anyone suggest a title please.

Thank you in advance...I would appreciate any help as I am so keen to do this special project well.

Jeannine
carolanne

Re: I am new !!

Post by carolanne »

you don't really need a book. One of the first things to know is to not carry a strand of thread (floss) over a long space. Try to work in small patches. Sometimes if the pattern had a large patch of one color, then you can do the as a large patch if you want, just be sure to make sure you have counted correctly. When finishing with a strand of floss, one of the best ways to finish it off is to run it under some adjoining stitches of go back under the backs of what you have stitched. Usually 6 or 8 stitches is sufficient. if you are stitching with 2 strands, do you know about the Loop method of starting to stitch? That goes a long way to neatness, and is a nice secure way to start. Take one strand of thread and fold in half, thread the cut ends through the eye of the needle, start stitching by bringing up the needle through the fabric for your first stitch and make the diagonal stitch down and put the needle through the loop on the back and pull snug. Then stitch as usual. I hope this is helpful, if you have been stitching and have finished items, you probably are a cross stitcher. Welcome. :applesauce: :applesauce:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wave: Hi Jeannine and Welcome from me in coolish Brisbane - its great to have you along.

I agree with carolanne, about not carrying threads too far, and especially loop starting each time. It is so much neater and really helps to keep the back neat. Basically both things together go a very long way to keeping the back neat. Good luck and do have a read of the Tips and Tricks section, its full of helpful ideas. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hi Jeannine and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I agree with both Sally and carolanne. Tips and Tricksis a great section to look through. Ask any questions you have and someone here will be able to provide an answer or know where to look to get the answer. The Glossaryis a great resource, especially since we use a lot of acronyms and "cross stitch" slang that has developed over the years. I'd been stitching for nearly 25 years when I found the forum and heard a lot of expressions and terms for the first time. I still check the glossary if I'm not sure.

I hope that you will post pictures of your projects. We love pictures! What types of projects do you like to stitch?

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum, Jeannine---and I agree with all that has already been said concerning your question :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Welcome from the West of Scotland! :wave: When you feel like throwing it all in the bin, don't! Go to our own pub, the Stash & Grab for some virtual refreshment! :king:
mouselady

Post by mouselady »

I have to jump on the train and direct you to Tips and Tricks too. I just started stitching 10 months ago, and the only reason I have finished a project, and now have three others in progress, is because of all that I have learned here, especially from the Tips and Tricks.
Desiree

WIP:
Lobo - HAED
Faces of Joan Elliot SAL
Friendly Felines

2016 Finishes:
Joan Elliot Birth Announcement
Flower of the Month - July
12 Days of Christmas
Jeannine

Post by Jeannine »

Hi and thank you all.I will certainly go to Tips and Tricks as it is well suggested, sometimes my stitches at the back look even but other times they seem to go in the wrong direction LOL

The kit I want to do is by Thea Gouverner, The Sheep Map of Great Britain,it is a lovely kit and every time I pick it up I talk myself out of it as I want it to be right.

I would till like to buy a good illustrated book however so I can visually see which way to go.

Thank you again

XX Jeannine
fccs

Post by fccs »

Amazon has some counted thread books (example http://www.amazon.com/The-Proper-Stitch ... per+stitch" target="_blank), but they will cover all types of counted thread, not just cross stitch. I know some of the books I have with collections of cross stitch charts have decent illustrations and instructions for the stitches; the same is true of most cross stitch magazines.

The Sheep design is quite the undertaking, but it sounds like you've been loving it for a long time, so I say go for it. Each sheep would be a small finish, and the map itself just do in sections. If you need a break from it, take it. I usually have smaller, less complicated projects along with my bigger ones.

Any design, especially the big ones, can feel overwhelming, but it all comes down to just a few things, really: count carefully (count, recount, and count again if in doubt...and count often); keep all the top legs of your crosses going the same direction (/ or \); keep your tension consistent; if possible, make a working copy of your chart and highlight what you've finished (that will help you with the counting); take pictures of your work at least weekly (I try to do it at the end of each stitching day) and you'll be surprised by how much you've done, even when you feel you're getting no where.

And remember, any design, regardless of size, comes down to just a stitch at a time.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

Hello and welcome to the forum from Italy :wave:
--