I'm back :)

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lovesteph

I'm back :)

Post by lovesteph »

I haven't posted in quite some time as I decided to go back to school last fall as a full time student and was quite busy. I got to go to the Fall Creativ Festival here in Toronto and took some classes and got lots of goodies for my stash :) After Christmas I became very ill with alternating fevers and chills, extreme pain in my joints, especially my feet and shoulder, and a general feeling that something was seriously wrong. I powered on, trying to get through my schoolwork, even though I could barely walk. In March I had a stroke, although since I didn't recognize the symptoms (I just turned 24) I slept on it which was a huge mistake. I lost function of my left side completely (I am a left handed artist/stitcher!!!!) and was devastated. The stroke was caused by a heart infection which nearly killed me. It had spread through my blood and was eating away at my joints, hence the pain. This went away with antibiotics, and I had an operation right away to replace the destroyed valves. I was in the hospital for two months and got out in the beginning of May. Thanks to physiotherapy I am back doing what I love, cross stitch, which I was afraid I'd never be able to do again. Glad to be back! :)
Squirrel

Re: I'm back :)

Post by Squirrel »

Oh my goodness what a time you have had over these past months. Thank goodness you are now on the road to recovery and getting back to stitching which is an amazing fete in itself. You are one very strong young lady that is for sure Steph.

Take care of yourself now and Welcome back to us so glad you have been able to make it back online.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
lovesteph

Post by lovesteph »

Thank you Sally! It has been quite surreal as I never imagined such a thing could happen but the staff at the hospital and of course my family were so supportive and encouraging. They even had a Needlepoint that another patient had left in the occupational therapy room that they let me work on to improve my dexterity. It's amazing how fast the human body can heal, I went from being spoofed in a wheelchair to walking and talking in a couple months time :) It feels great to be back and I feel so blessed to still be here!
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Oh my goodness!!! I'm so glad that you are well on the road to recovery---what an ordeal for you to go through!!! It's great to see you again!!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

I'm so very happy you're recovering and doing well. It sounds like you went through hell and back - and given all that you suffered, you recovered quickly. I'd guess part of that is your young age and part of it is that you're a fighter (and perhaps a bit stubborn?). Whatever it took, well done - please hang around with us.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:hug: :hug: OMG, but you have been
fccs wrote:through hell and back
a few times it sounds like. I am so glad that you have recovered and also think that your youth and determination brought you through this. And I'm very glad that you are back with us and stitching again too. Looking forward to your updates and projects. Will you be returning to school in the fall?

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
lovesteph

Post by lovesteph »

My dad called the school to let them know what had happened and the head of my program left a message for me, saying that my first semester marks were great (I think my GPA was around 3.75 out of 4) and I could return whenever I felt better and start back where I left off in second semester. Since they only offer those specific classes in summer and winter (1st semester in spring and fall) and I was in no shape to start in summer, I will be going back in winter :) I think they are also going to use my tuition paid as credit for the classes I didn't finish, which will save me from having to pay twice :)
lovesteph

Post by lovesteph »

Also, I am definitely stubborn :lol: I was pretty defiant when I wanted to do everything myself. Age is a huge part too, I'm so thankful this happened now since the older one gets the longer the recovery tends to be. The older patients definitely got a kick out of me and I had a lot of fun doing recreational therapy with everyone :)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I am sure that the older patients enjoyed having you with them. and :whoop: for the school being so understanding. And waiting until winter will give you plenty of time to recuperate fully. I imagine that you brought a lot of energy to a therapy group. And plenty of time for stitching until then. And plenty of time to keep us posted on your progress - healthwise, as well as stitching wise.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

Sorry to hear you've had such a tough time but so happy to hear that you are recovering well. :dance:
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare