Hi!

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Carie

Hi!

Post by Carie »

I am fairly new to cross stitching. I did some when I was about ten but that was a while ago. I am wanting to cross stitch a project for my daughter who is 2 but I'm trying to decide if I should practice some smaller stitching projects first or just jump right in. My design is called Ballerena Dreams. What do you guys think?
rcperryls

Re: Hi!

Post by rcperryls »

Hi Carie and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! And welcome back to stitching! What a beautiful chart that is, if I'm correct in assuming what you have is the chart or kit of one of Sandra Kuck's artwork? I am stitching her Dancing with the Cat for my niece. Most people tend to start with simpler designs but I think what is most important is that it is a pattern you love. If it is the piece I'm thinking of, it will be filled with a lot of confetti (small blocks of stitching with a lot of different colors - often only a few of each color) so it is important to be patient. When I started cross stitching I stitched an alphabet sampler and then a very complicated design of a dragon because I loved it. I think it depends on how comfortable you are. It wouldn't hurt to stitch a simpler project to get started, but there aren't any laws that say you have to. If you need help we are here and are glad to answer any questions or give you hints on how to do things.

I hope that you will post lots of pictures of your updates, whether you start with this or another piece. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi there, and welcome from the West of Scotland! :wave:

Lovely design. I'd suggest that since your daughter is only 2, you might do a bit of stitching just to get your eye in again, as it were. Then have a go at this rather larger and more complicated piece. We'll be here to cheer you along.
Carie

Post by Carie »

Thankyou for your responses. I believe I will try some smaller projects first then. I don't want to get overwhelmed . I'm so excited to get started!!!
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Hello & welcome Carie from North Wales. Look forward to seeing your work on here :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Kathy_A

Post by Kathy_A »

Welcome from Chicagoland!!

Some fun small things to stitch are holiday pieces, I have found. There are many different ornament kits if you celebrate Christmas, as well as fun Halloween designs.

One of my favorite smallish kits to work on that are pretty straightforward (although they do include some beads, which are easy to stitch with but can be a pain to keep track of while stitching with them!) are Mill Hill's Sticks designs. They are done on perforated plastic cards or fabric and are about 7 inches square. You can see many of them here (scroll down on the page): http://cloudwww.thesilverneedle.com/mil ... owcase.php" target="_blank" target="_blank . I have made several of these as gifts, and really love their look.
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

Welcome to the forum. I agree with the others start small. I jumped in to a very complicated piece and ended up hating it. It still is not finished Enjoy your stitching
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Hello and welcome. When I was much younger I bought a very large cross stitch project for one of my first ones and totally mucked it up. I would start small and work your way up. :)
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Rosheen

Post by Rosheen »

Hello and welcome from Belgium. :wave:
Love,
Hilde

=====================================================================
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hi Carie and a belated Welcome from me too just back from 2 weeks holidays and trying to catch up a bit. Looking forward to seeing your stitching :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262