Hi All - from the web designer of this forum

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Alex
Site Admin

Hi All - from the web designer of this forum

Post by Alex »

I must admit that I am not a cross stitch fan!

However, I do have a keen interest in this forum and would welcome any ideas or suggestions.

I can create new sections when the existing sections get busy enough. So, tell me what sections you would like added; perhaps a 'swap' section, 'personal blog' or 'chat' section?

Please do tell me what you don't like about this forum too.

The forum has a very simple and plain design - this is so that it downloads faster which is important to avoid delays when browsing through many pages (when the site gets busier).

Look forward to hearing from you.

Alex.
bagpuss

RE Chat & Swaps etc......

Post by bagpuss »

Hi Alex,

Nice to meet you. So you are the man with the terrific vision?

Well a chat room would be a great idea. It would save us having to search out our friends responses through the different sections. However the different sections are of course necessary. You could highlight them differently though. For instance can you have sub categories in your main categories or is it easier to have each cateory as an individual topic? I was thinking along the lines of Cross stitch kits wanted.......Magazines wanted......Threads/Floss wanted........Penpals wanted worldwide. Also, I was wondering is the forum, soley for the use of cross stitch or is it aimed at any kind of sewing, like tapestry, blackwork, longstitch, crewel embroidery and of course many more? I think it is probably the latter but I was just curious. It helps with keywords!

Having a PM system is great but a more personal registration system could be a possibility. This may help other users to get to know each other quicker if it were to show the members, likes, dislikes.....children.....etc.

I like the idea of swapping but as far as I am aware, swapping USED patterns is contrary to the copyright act, however, swapping kits that you have been given or bought and do not like or have changed your mind about may be a good one to think about.

Another incentive to attract more people would be free downloads of copyright free designs, maybe a monthly competition! All to the users advantage of course! :D I am not sure how or where you would advertise, the competitions. All I do know is that many people like competitions especially when it does not include spending money or collecting tokens for months on end.

Well, Alex, please forgive me if I appear to have waffled a little too long but I do have ideas of my own. I just never thought about where I could possibly channel them. :idea:

I hope my input has helped a little?

Have a nice day.

Bagpuss,
aka Courtney :)
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

hi alex a chat section would be good and maybe a room we could put our albums in and see other peoples work
Pink Panther
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi Alex

Perhaps a section for favourite designers? Also a links list would be great (I do a lot of online buying, being in a fairly rural area with only 2 -- quite good, but not very close -- embroidery shops (there used to be 4 or 5).

Also a query: can we upload avatars to this site? It took me ages to figure it out, and i'l love to be able to use it...

Thanks.
Alex
Site Admin

Thank you all for your replies.

Post by Alex »

OK, I have taken on board everything that you have all put forward. I will make all of the changes that have been suggested, but not all of them immediately. This is because the forum is still very new and creating lots of new sections will slow down the growth of the forum - passers by will be less inclined to interact with the forum if they see that the sections are empty because they will assume that they will not get a reply. So, as soon as the forum gathers momentum, I will break up the busy sections and create the new ones that you have asked for.

I will start creating the chat room and online album now. Yes Avatars can be uploaded now, just log in and go to 'Profile' then scroll down and upload your Avatar. We will put up some of our own Avatars soon. For those of you who don't know what an Avatar is, it is a small picture/icon that is inserted in your posts that represents you.

Regards.

Alex.

:o
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm pleased about the avatar. Only one problem: mine is 8KB instead of 6. I'll try to figure out how to make it smaller... :?: (Actually, I'll get my eldest son to figure it out! Put all this education to practical use.)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Alex! What am I doing wrong?

You've kindly made the avatar size bigger, so mine should be ok. It's a .tiff file. Is that a problem? I can choose it without a problem, then I clicked on submit... but no avatar. Help?
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hi Serinde

Please email me your avatar and I will install it for you.

Regards.

Alex
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

You should have it now.

Thanks.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Thanks, Alex, for sorting my avatar. Properly dressed at last!

Post by Guest »

Hi, Alex,

I was browsing this forum and I've found so many parallel themes... Maybe it would be better to be more exact on the themes in order to find the information or the theme you search easier. But it's just a remarque :).

Best wishes :D
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Yes, you are right. We will split the forum in to more sections in the future. The reason that we have not done this yet is because the forum is still new and if there were too many sections with no activity in them, it would take longer for people to start posting in them.

So, when each section reaches double figures, we will start splitting them up and organising them in to more specific subjects.

Thanks for your post.

:D

Re: Hi All - from the web designer of this forum

Post by Guest »

alex
how do we get that little cartoon to make people know who we are just by looking at the pic

debbie
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hi Debbie,

You need to be logged in to upload the image for your profile, called an Avatar.

You need to log in and go to 'Profile' then scroll down and upload your Avatar.

There are size limits: 80 X 80 pixels and a file size no more than 10 KB.

Hope this helps.

Alex.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

We have now added the Members Gallery area to the site, click below for more information

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/phpBB2/ ... c.php?t=47

Alex.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

You can also view everyone's Avatars, see above posts,

here...

Alex.
w00dy

Post by w00dy »

hello! great forum.......... :D :D
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

wow alex

i could not believe it when i signed on to the site this morning and found my new avatar on t=my name. i just emailed it to you last night.
Now that;s what i call service. i figureed it would take at least a day or two

So thank you now people will know who inuyasha is

Debbie :D