Hi

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

StaceyS_ox

Hi

Post by StaceyS_ox »

Hi everyone :D

I’m Stacey, 28 & stay just outside of Glasgow with my partner & 2 year old daughter.

I have been on this forum for a while but went MIA due to working , home life & having my little girl but now more than ever especially during lockdown I’ve been wanting to get back into doing my cross stitch. I do have some small kits do not sure whether to work through them and then look at doing more.

Where do you get your books/kits/fabrics from

Any help/tips would be fab

Also would love to chat with you all xxx
Serinde

Re: Hi

Post by Serinde »

Hi Stacey, and yes, indeed, you have been AWOL for a bit. However, I'm so glad you found us again! :applesauce: :applesauce: :dance:

Things have changed around the forum, of course, but I hope you'll see lots of familiar names. The Stash & Grab (virtual pub-- probably the only one open in the whole of the UK) is available whenever you like, and our imaginary "grounds" seem to have increased in both acreage and the number of creatures to observe. We still have a treehouse (damp and battered today!). The magic bench has become an entire furniture store of benches, sofas and chairs. Have a look around to reacquaint yourself. Unfortunately, what we no longer have are the chat box and the galleries -- these were the victims of a rather awful hacking job last year. :(

Where to get books, kits and materials?... how long have you got? I tend to avoid Amazon and Book Depository for various reasons. Sew and So is no more, but has been replaced by Love Crafts (not so great for stitching), however there are others still on the go: Lakeside Needlecraft, Willow Fabrics and West End Embroidery. I'm sure others will have suggestions. Designing has really become a joy: there's our own Mabel Figworthy, of course, but I'm also particularly fond of Faby Reilly, Elizabeth Almond of Blackwork Journey and Debbie Morgan. There are lots of talented designers out there.

Anyway, welcome back, and whatever you'd like is behind the bar at the S&G... I'm off for a coffee, myself! :king:
StaceyS_ox

Post by StaceyS_ox »

Thank you for the reply!

Thank you so much for the pointers and updates I’ll defo check everything out 💕
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

It's a real shame that there isn't much in Glasgow anymore since the demise of the Glasgow Needlewoman years ago. Even Lewis's isn't as good as it was. If you are a knitter, there's The Yarn Cake up on Queen Margaret Drive, though.
StaceyS_ox

Post by StaceyS_ox »

Yeah, there’s not much really in Glasgow. When I was actively stitching before I usually just ordered my threads etc online cause it was better to bulk buy that way

I’m not much of a knitter as much as it fascinates me I just aren’t able lol
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Me, too. :oops: Various people have tried to teach me... Well, can't be good at everything. But I'm told the cake was grand in The Yarn Cake and you didn't necessarily need to buy yarn! :P One thing you should be aware of -- there are lots of faux DMC and Anchor threads on eBay and so on. If it seems stupidly cheap, it probably is a knock off. :anotherfrog:
StaceyS_ox

Post by StaceyS_ox »

Lol, it’s always worth trying to learn like you said can’t always manage everything lol.

Yeah, I always avoid buying cross stitch stuff from eBay/amazon just incase. There was a website I used to use years ago that was really good will need Jog my memory to see if I can find it And see if it’s still an active website to browse. X
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Welcome back :wave: !

For stash I can recommend, apart from the ones Serinde has mentioned, Tandem Needlecraft, Spinning Jenny, Viking Loom, and London Bead Company
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
StaceyS_ox

Post by StaceyS_ox »

Oh great thank you so much
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

and Sewitall has fabulous fabrics at a reasonable cost - well it is reasonable down here in Australia. They are an English firm though we are just lucky that they also branched out downunder, Bothy Threads is another English one but beware that site could be addictive with all the Hannah Dale cutie kits, guaranteed to drive you crazy but very cute.

It is great that you have come back online and welcome to your daughter too.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
StaceyS_ox

Post by StaceyS_ox »

Squirrel wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:09 am and Sewitall has fabulous fabrics at a reasonable cost - well it is reasonable down here in Australia. They are an English firm though we are just lucky that they also branched out downunder, Bothy Threads is another English one but beware that site could be addictive with all the Hannah Dale cutie kits, guaranteed to drive you crazy but very cute.

It is great that you have come back online and welcome to your daughter too.
Thank you! I had actually checked out Botha Threads, such an addictive site haha! I have stuff added to the basket already lol
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Welcome back Stacey. :wave: :wave: I'm afraid I can't help you much because most of my favorite online suppliers are here in the US and I think shipping is a big cost across the big pond. I tend to avoid eBay because of concerns regarding copyright, and there are so many great on line suppliers now. It's a shame that many of the Local Needlework Stores have closed down. Besides being able to see products before you bought them, I always loved the atmosphere and friendships that developed. CSF makes up for a lot of that.

I'm looking forward to seeing what projects you are working on. Welcome back!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I have bought threads via E-Bay. They have been genuine DMC, but from the grey market, with 'Not For Sale in EU' on the binding loops. As far as I can tell, the colours are the same, so it feels as if DMC are attempting to segment the world and enforce higher prices in areas where they think they can get away with it. With my production engineer's hat on, I find it hard to believe that DMC would actually use different dyes for the same colour when distributed to other parts of the world. This would be economically irrational and in a practical sense, virtually impossible to manage within the factory.

One thing I did notice when I was last there, was the 'Hobbycraft' box warehouse shop in Maidstone had about 50% of their DMC threads with the same 'Not For Sale in EU' printing on the loops. Makes me suspect that other people think DMC are pulling a fast one too.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
StaceyS_ox

Post by StaceyS_ox »

Thank you Carole and Richard!

Looking forward to sharing and seeing everyone else’s work! Glad to be back

Currently sorting through all my cross stitch stuff lol

Have so much xx
poppy

Post by poppy »

Hello and welcome, Stacey :wave:

May be the site that you used to order from was Sew and So. The company disappeared suddenly...
I like this site :
https://www.lakesideneedlecraft.co.uk/

Looking forward to chatting on the Forum. Lockdown with a 2 year old little girl must have its challenges! :)
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

I agree with Poppy Lakeside Needlecraft is very reliable :wave: