cross stitch aida

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Cajunlady

cross stitch aida

Post by Cajunlady »

I am finally going to complete a project. But from just laying around it got a little dingy. :( It is white aida. Can anyone tell me how to clean it when I am done ?
Lori0

Re: cross stitch aida

Post by Lori0 »

There are different ways of washing, each person has their way. So before you try any one way, wait to hear from others to see which one you want to try. First question, Is what brand of thread did you use? Some speciality threads might run or fade in washing.
I personally use DMC thread, and over the 20 odd years I have never had colors run (even reds and blacks) I sometime soak my finish work in Oxyclean, rinse and put into a pillowcase and throw into the washer machine on the delicate cycle in cold water. I clip to a clothes hanger to mustly dry. I place another pillow case over the back side of the project and iron and lay flat to dry completely dry.
Others, handwash etc. I have heard some do not wash theirs. Again please get more tips from others to decided which will work for you.
[/iLoriO]
WIP
Crawfish Boil- Leslie Wristers
Nighttmare Before Christmas-charted by me
As of 2/9/2014 MIA
Antique Shoe Collection= Bucilla. start 3/31/14 from stash
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

I'm old school. I melt a bit of Ivory bar soap in a bowl of warm water and agitate the fabric by hand. Maybe rub a little directly on any bad spots. If the fabric is particularly dirty I use regular Dawn dishwashing liquid. Mind you, that's only. If the piece used standard floss.

Like Lori said, everyone has their favorite ways of cleaning their stitching.
Jarvis
Cajunlady

Post by Cajunlady »

i always use DMC thread.
Athalie

Post by Athalie »

I don't always wash my stitching,, I keep baby wipes beside my chair and constantly use them to prevent body oils on my projects. If for some reason I do need to wash them I use baby shampoo in warm water. If they are more dusty than soiled I just lay them flat, sprinkle with baby talc. or baking soda, roll up and leave for a few days, shake out and they look as good as new.
imogenX

Post by imogenX »

For non-specialty threads, I put just a drop of hand dish washing detergent in a bowl and mix it with cold/lukewarm water. I submerge the project for a minute or two and slightly agitate it. Rinse thoroughly. I lay it in a folded towel and press the excess moisture off before letting it air dry flat. Sometimes it still needs to be ironed after, but not always. It's very easy; the hardest part is being patient while it dries :)
-Imogen

Current WIPs
HAED SK Some Enchanted Evening
Stitchonomy Winter SAL
Animal Alphabet SAL (Anna Gutova for Artmishka)
Modern Folk Embroidery SAL 2021
Wonders of the Solar System SAL (Climbing Goat Designs)
Gnomes (Designs by Gloria & Pat)
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I use my make up brush shampoo (suitable for natural hair) and hand wash. But be very cautious on hand dyed fabric or with hand dyed threads.
Myst..
brittanypaige

Post by brittanypaige »

I wash in the washing machine like one of the first posters -- with no problems.
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

I soak it in lukewarm water with a tiny amount of hand soap, then I slowly and gently swish it and squeeze it under water, then remove all the water, refill the sink and rinse it again a couple more times, then I roll it up in a towel, and a second time in another dry towel. After it's moist but before totally dry I iron it from the back.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

When it's time for getting projects ready for framing, I give 1 1/2 days for the washing and drying. I want to make SURE the projects are dried by turning every hour til I go to bed and to make the ironing easier the next day. And in ALMOST 30 yrs, next yr, of stitching I have NEVER had a project threads RUN.
I use dish soap and LUKE WARM water in a plastic bucket. I use 2. 1 for the soapy water, the other for the rinse water.
I put buckets in kitchen sink, that keeps water from getting all over sink counter, and swish and LITELY rub project together, like FOLKS did back in the Western times, washing clothes on a rock, to get out ANY STUBBORN FROGGYS that didn't come out when working on project.
Then I rinse each project 3 x's, changing water each time. Then I GENTLY SQUISH and WRING the project and smooth out over 2 towel covered card tables, they hold as many projects that I do for a year, usually 10, and lay 2 more bath towels over the top, and put my folded cardboard quilt cutting board over the top, with 4 books, 1 on ea. corner, to keep our cat from getting on projects over nite.
The next day, I put another bath towel over my table ironing board, and lay project face down and LITELY MIST the project with a water bottle, and with a wash cloth over the project, iron the project in a CIRCULAR motion. I repeat the process for the top and then frame each piece.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D