Do you sign your work

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

fiddler

Do you sign your work

Post by fiddler »

Do you sign your work before you have it framed. My sewing group thinks yo should I was going to write some thing on the back.
I found this on the back of a http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/irishjig1/library/" target="_blank
T
fiddler

Re: Do you sign your work

Post by fiddler »

Photobucket has not worked will try again
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

This is what it should say

I thought of putting it on the back.It is true I do most of my sewing at the kitchen table.
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Nice sentiment but I don't sign mine. Never thought about it until I once went to buy a small pretty x-stitch picture from a charity shop but someone had added initials in a corner so didn't buy it. It was so pretty , would have looked lovely in a child's bedroom.

Maybe what the charity shop did was against Copyright Rules by putting it out to sell it but I was not on this forum at that time so if unsigned, I would have bought it as a small gift for child's birthday. I was aware you couldn't make a picture & sell it yourself but unsure about unwanted x-stitch gifts or other needlework pictures for sale in charity shops. Only go in them occasionally.

I think signing pictures or not signing is down to personal preference.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I used to put my initials and the date in very small stitches at the bottom of a finished piece and on my afghans which were gifts I would stitch something like "To (whoever it was going to) with love, Carole (or Gramma or Auntie Carole). I did sign a LizzieKate piece I did for the vets when Shirley was so sick, but signed it with Love L&S. After all they did help with the stitching :roll: . Haven't signed anything recently, but haven't had a lot of finishes either.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
poppy

Post by poppy »

I do put my initial and the date in the corner, before framing.
I often buy a frame, and lace my work at the back. On the last project for my daughter, I added a little note, held by the lace, saying why I chose this picture for her. I did not tell her. May be she will find it someday...
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I stitch my signature and year in the nearest colour to my favourite fountain pen ink colour (Pelikan 4001 Turquoise). It's one of the DMC satin threads, comes out as an electric blue. I wrote my signature on a grid, effectively charting it.

After the picture is framed, I stick a wallet to the back with the chart I used (as marked up in use) and a little note in it.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I always was always taught in both quilting and stitching you should at the very least put your initials and a date but I don't really remember why. Maybe for posterity's sake? I usually choose a lighter color in the color palette and do my initials and a year at either the bottom right corner or an unobtrusive spot depending on the design, the recipient, and its intended use. I figure that down the road, if someone really doesn't want my initials on it, they can always pick out that little bit of stitching.
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

I will always sign/initial if I remember. I tend to forget before I fully finish things.
Ajay

Post by Ajay »

I put my initials and the year of finish usually. But I try to find creative ways to do it. One of my battle buddies remodeled his kitchen and wanted some pictures for it, so the wine bottle label read "AJD 09" it also has been Grass.......on my wolf i did they were back stitched in to look like fur, and only till I pointed it out did the person see it. If there are any books in the piece...If all else fails small in the bottom right corner
If anyone uses Whatsapp, pm me to connect.

WIP
Woodland Enchantress-----She's not talking to me
Frederick The Literate-----I have upset this cat somehow
Jolly Trio Stocking-----Not ready to think of the C word yet
Frosted Pumpkin MSAL 2017
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

I always forget. I've signed the framer's sticker on the back before.
Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Only if it's a Sampler , then as it's part of the pattern my name and date get stitched. I never sign anything else.
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

I always sign my projects but just with my initials and no date.
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

No,
I have just always felt why would someone want my name spoiling a picture I have done for them (up to this point everything stitched for others has been a theme personal to them) and as for the ones on my own wall if I get to the point I cant remember doing them myself well I dare say it won't matter much anyway
But it's very much a personal choice and each stitcher should do what they prefer :)