Hi All

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

bluebellhaze

Hi All

Post by bluebellhaze »

Good morning, albeit snowy & cold.

I am Bluebell, love x st & cats. Like all flora & fauna really but cats, inc majestic wild ones, are top of my list. At the moment am doing Margaret Sherry Alfie Bear 'Chocolate makes my clothes shrink' to make into an Easter card. I usually send meaningful ones but decided to send this to a friend. Afterwards will do Crafty Cat by MS. This one makes me smile so will keep that when completed.

Hope it is OK to ask a question straight away? Please would you advise me where cheapest DMC threads can be bought in UK? I mostly do kits but do have quite a few DMC threads bought over a few years. Recently found 2 cheetah charts I want to make later on so will need quite a lot of the same yellow & orange shades. Used to buy from Cross Stitch Heaven but I think the lady must have stopped selling as I cannot find her. It is several years since I bought some from her though.

There are some wonderful things on here which I saw whilst browsing over the past few months. Mine are not terrifically big or dazzling but I enjoy what I make :)

I notice some of you collect certain makes of kits. Mostly have DMC & Dimensions, just a few other makes. I love the large owl head & the cute animal ones. They must go on my 'Want but Wait' list for now!

Bluebell
Bluebell

Take time each day to smell the flowers
rcperryls

Re: Hi All

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hi Bluebell and welcome to the forum from a nicely warming up South Carolina!

It is always OK to ask a question. I joined with a question and I think many of us did and then found that besides lots of answers there is lots of encouragement, friendship, information and sharing that you also get. The diversity of projects that members stitch is fantastic and we applaud the smaller pieces as much as the big ones, projects with specialty stitches as much as those that are purely cross stitch. You have certainly found the right place. Since I'm not from the UK, I don't know where most UK members now go for their DMC threads, but I think you will be getting a lot of answers and suggestions.

I hope you will post pictures of your projects. We love pictures! Looking forward to getting to know you!

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
amanda66

Post by amanda66 »

Hi Bluebell and welcome to the forum :wave:
Weather really bad here in Lincolnshire, lots of lying snow 6 inches or even more, can't get out of our village at all and unfortunately we have had no power or 8 hours but has just come back on.
The cheapest online DMC threads I have found is Enchanted Needle and their threads are already wound on bobbins too.
Hope that helps
Take care and keep warm and also happy stitching
Amanda
:hug:
nannyrainbow

Post by nannyrainbow »

Hello & welcome :wave: I am not sure about threads so will leave that to others. Not heard the one Amanda has mentioned so must look at that myself. Always good to find new places to seek out x stitch things. Even if you don't need something bound to be an item that catches your eye to go on your list. :)
Del
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Hi Bluebell and welcome to the forum! :wave:

The cheapest place for DMC threads I've found is Leisurecraft Tewkesbury at 50p each but you have to spend £10 (20 threads) at least. I got the full set from them in two presentation boxes two or three years ago for my birthday so when I'm running low or have run out I can make a note and then buy them all in the one go every now and then.
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:wave: hi and welcome from SW France. Can't help with DMC as I use Anchor :roll: I have a whole book full of Margaret Sherry designs from a few years back. I guess one day I will get them done. To many designs so little time! :lol:
poppy

Post by poppy »

bluebellhaze wrote: At the moment am doing Margaret Sherry Alfie Bear 'Chocolate makes my clothes shrink'
I stitched this card from a Cross Stitcher magazine years ago!
bluebellhaze wrote:Mine are not terrifically big or dazzling but I enjoy what I make
I am sure that they are lovely and look forward to sharing pictures of stitching, completed or in progress with you.

Hello and welcome! :wave:
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Hello and welcome :wave: I am looking forward to seeing some of your work :D
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
JoannaG

Post by JoannaG »

Edit - oh, and welcome :lol: - edit

I found "thethreadshop" on ebay selling dmc in the UK in batches of 10 to 100 (in tens). About £0.56 per skein. I think there was more of a discount if you ordered more skeins.

You could select the number and colour of the skeins by sending a message with your order.

Choice of 1st (???) or 2nd class delivery (£0.19) Parcel arrived within the week.

Ebay seller barbaras_crossstitch4you.

I also found a US seller on etsy selling for around £0.37 per skein and £5 delivery charge! There you are looking at long wait time (taken 3 weeks) and customs charge.

jpcrossstitch.

I did a huge bulk order through her that even with the delivery and customs charge, ended up less expensive than anything else I found more locally.

It is currently sitting at the post office. I don't think my saturday redelivery slot is going to be fulfilled :( thankfully I do have enough threads to tide me by :)
Current WIP:
Design Works Frogpile
HAED Treasure Hunt Bookshelf SSMC

2017 Finisher:
Dimensions Ballerina Dreams
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wave: Hi Bluebell and Welcome from me too in blessedly cool Brisbane, so glad you have de-lurked and joined us. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

bluebellhaze

Post by bluebellhaze »

Thank you for all messages. Alfie Bear is going well & I will put a picture on SAL when I am allowed. Keep wanting to call him Bertie Bear!
Also, thank you for DMC thread information. I will look into those.

Will put on the S&A topic photos of my 2 latest charts books. Think I have to make 10 messages before I can do that. They are of beautiful wild creatures. Glad I have seen your name Wendy as there is a puffin project in one. I thought of you as the Puffin Lady or the Puffin Person to be correct in this day & age. I do not mind being called Cat Lady but you may not appreciate my name for you as I am new so an unknown personage at present!

One booklet has B&W charts which I prefer. The Polly Pickering book has coloured charts but I am determined to do the beautiful cheetah mum & 2 cubs. Both books would keep me busy if I did all the wonderful designs but I have several cat projects yet to do as well as other topics.

I look forward to getting to know everyone & gaining more tips & information regarding this lovely hobby as well as seeing the many varied works created.
Bluebell

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

bluebellhaze wrote: Will put on the S&A topic photos of my 2 latest charts books. Think I have to make 10 messages before I can do that. They are of beautiful wild creatures. Glad I have seen your name Wendy as there is a puffin project in one. I thought of you as the Puffin Lady or the Puffin Person to be correct in this day & age. I do not mind being called Cat Lady but you may not appreciate my name for you as I am new so an unknown personage at present!

I look forward to getting to know everyone & gaining more tips & information regarding this lovely hobby as well as seeing the many varied works created.

:lol: As long as you call me for Dinner I don't mind being a Puffin Lady or a Puffin Person!! I am in fact a Puffinophile! Which means i just Love and know about PUFFINS!!
I look forward to seeing your stitched version! I'm stitching a free-embroidery Puffin at the moment https://www.sewandso.co.uk/product/puff ... it/2002878" target="_blank :dance: :dance:
bluebellhaze

Post by bluebellhaze »

So different & very pretty. Nice to see new styles of needlecraft come about. These modern ones are very attractive but so far I have resisted. Did see a psychedelic cat I like but so far resisted buying the chart.
Bluebell

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Just wanted to let you know that you can post pictures in a thread anytime you want. The requirement 0f 10 posts is to the forum gallery. I don't know why that rule is there, but it usually doesn't take too long to get to 10. Looking forward to seeing your work!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
bluebellhaze

Post by bluebellhaze »

Thank you for telling me that. Obviously I got confused, cold weather not middle age of course!! Will put up pictures & sort out avatar one as well.
Bluebell

richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Welcome to the forum from a very white and drippy Kent.

Cats..
I am slightly under the feline paw myself. 4 sets of paws.
Garden is a bit of a wildlife haven, to the extent every now and again one of the flealines brings us a very dead Dormouse.

I used to use cross stitch heaven for threads, but they closed and I've not needed any since 2 years ago when I kitted up my current projects.

Regards

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
bluebellhaze

Post by bluebellhaze »

Thank you. A tall order being supervised by 4 cats. Rather I should say you & your family are owned by 4 cats! Bet they keep you all on your toes.

Have not put any photos of my current work up yet as PostImage was not repsonding the other day & I had seveal 'come back later' meesages. After several tries my email was blocked, tried to get PI to check into it too many times I expect. Have to set up a new one before I can put photos on & get Avatar. Remembered my password for here though so glad to get on & explain why no pics yet. Alfie Bear doing great. He now has a nose & ears are being sgitched tongiht! Can get on with Crafty Cat once I have done backstitching & finished the card.

That was lucky you stocked up with threads before Cross Stitch Heaven closed.
Bluebell

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

A belated welcome from the West of Scotland! :snowman:
fccs

Post by fccs »

Hello from Colorado and welcome to the forum.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends