Location ideas

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lucia

Location ideas

Post by lucia »

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about teaching how to cross stitch and was wondering where I could teach the class. My husband doesn't want strangers in our home, so I was wondering if there are places that I don't have to pay to use.

Thanks.
Lucia.
richardandtracy

Re: Location ideas

Post by richardandtracy »

I attend a 'Knit & Natter' fortnightly in our local library. The volunteer who set it up doesn't charge, teaches knitting/crochet to those who want to learn & I don't think the Library charges her. It may be worth talking to your local Library manager.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Local village halls are often looking for new users. You might have to pay a fee to use the hall, but that can be rolled into the cost of the class, and usually isn't very much, anyway.
lucia

Post by lucia »

Thank you Richard and Serinde. I'll definitely check out the library.we don't have the village halls, so I'll have to look into what is equivalent to that here in the US. But I will definitely give that a try Serinde.
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I would not take a class that was offered in someones home.
I certainly would, after I had gotten to know you and we hit it off, but not the initial class.

I've met up with people at my library, informally, from time to time. Not a class per se. My LNS had open stitch time on Saturday mornings. When they closed the shop, they tried to meet at the library on Saturday mornings. I went a few times then life happened and I don't think the group is still meeting.
One of the libraries on the waaay other side of town, has a craft group that meets regularly. I think its mainly knitters, but its open to any portable craft. I've been meaning to make my way over there but I haven't yet.

My monthly craft group meets in a church on Saturdays. Again, its a group of general crafters- knitters, quilters, paper crafters, etc. so not a formal class. This group spun out of a moms group.. the moms group is gone, but this craft group has changed and shifted and is still around. 2 in our group are members of the church but most are not. Its a nice neutral space with big tables to spread out on.

If its nice, in the summer, I have seen many different groups that meet in local parks. Painting groups that set up under a grouping of trees, and I've seen a group of knitters that were in a picnic area. I don't know if they doing a "knit in public" type thing, or if they just met in that area on that day. I also don't know if space had to be reserved through the park system, or if they just grabbed whatever open picnic area was available.

Look at community centers, city halls, and public schools to see if they have free space available. Our public schools send out the community ed brochures 2-3 times a year with adult classes- language and cooking, painting, woodworking, pottery, basic auto/electrical/ plumbing repair, etc. Most of those classes are held in High School classrooms on nights and weekends. If there is not enough interest in a class, it is cancelled. I have tried taking a cheesemaking, and truffle making classes.. both have been cancelled. I think its a minimum of 5 to hold a class.

Who is your target audience? How/where are you going to advertise for the class? Is there interest for a class? Is this a one night- 2-3 hr seminar, or are you planning on a multi-week class? Where would you take a class? Where would you look if you wanted to take a class?

If you want to teach kids.. approach kid groups. Summer camps, after school programmers, home schooling organizations, girl scouts/ cub scouts, youth groups at churches. Anyone that does programming for kids groups- they are always looking for new ideas to fill up time. You go to them for a session or two as a part of whatever group they already belong to. With already formed kid groups, you only have to convince the leader to have a session- that is easier than if each kid had to sign up individually. You are meeting where they normally do, during the time they normally do.

I think reaching out to adults is more difficult. JoAnns and Michaels both offers adult and childrens classes. Neither one have cross stitching classes- approach them. No need to worry about a location then.. classroom is already set up.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

lucia wrote:Thank you Richard and Serinde. I'll definitely check out the library.we don't have the village halls, so I'll have to look into what is equivalent to that here in the US. But I will definitely give that a try Serinde.
As Maggie says, public schools might be happy to stand in for a village or church hall.

Don't know where you are in the world, but if you are working with children in the UK, you'll need to have a CRB check.
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Are you doing on on one classes or group classes? I've done one on one knitting and cross stitch classes a few times at Starbucks. But then I'm a regular at my store and often take my knitting (since it is more portable) there and try to schedule classes for a time I know the store won't be too busy. Other possible locations as people have mentioned are the library, a community center of sorts, if you or someone in your class is a member of church they might have a rec room you can use. If you have any independantly owned craft stores in town, not a chain store, they might have a workspace you can use, either for small fee or for free if your students buy their supplies from them.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge