backstitching with metallic thread

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Sparkle

backstitching with metallic thread

Post by Sparkle »

I have been working on the Dimensions Fall Fairy kit for more than 2 years. I'm finally at the end and have only the metallic backstitching and the beading left to do. I started on the backstitch and did normal backstitching..it looked awful! So I frogged it all and decided to use really small stitches instead. It looks....ok... but it doesn't look like the photo on the kit. Does anyone know-what length of stitch should be used or should I even use backstitching? Is there a different stitch that would look better? I was so excited to be almost finished and now I'm stressed because I'm not sure how to make it look right. They are having me use 6 lengths of thread, so it's obviously supposed to be a focal point.....uuurgh!! Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
...long time lurker, first time poster. :-)
Rose

Re: backstitching with metallic thread

Post by Rose »

Oh wow that seems like an awful lot of threads for backstitching. What type of metallic thread has the kit supplied???? Are you doing each stitch at a time or are you jumping stitches.....ie over 2 or over 3??? Also if they are telling you to use 6 strands do they also suggest couching???? That might help hold the strands together and also have them lay down better.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Sparkle

Post by Sparkle »

Hi Rose,
Thanks for your reply. I'm an idiot. When you asked if the suggested couching, I checked my pattern and it's supposed to be cording.....sigh.... Lesson learned, never try to complete a 2 year project in the middle of the night. I guess I have looked at the pattern for so long I didn't catch the 'cording' column.
Sooooo, anyone have ideas about how to frog tiny metallic stitches without ruining your whole project?
:-)
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Sparkle wrote: Sooooo, anyone have ideas about how to frog tiny metallic stitches without ruining your whole project?
Very very pointy scissors - I like using cuticle scissors that have a curve in their point so that you an really slip the point under the thread to snip it. In fact I would suggest using a very small needle to carefully frog one or two stitches, then use a pair of tweezers to hold the loose end o the thread taut and snip as close to the work as you dare.. then frog a couple more stitches till you have enough to grasp with the tweezers again.

Not that I've ever done this before or anything. No, not me! ;)
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Whew! Glad you have that sorted.

Frogging those stitches just takes patience and a steady hand... (kinda hard when you're dealing with a smug :ribbit: and are :tantrum: ) Tweezers are a good idea, and working from the back might also help.
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

NeedleAndFork wrote:
Sparkle wrote: Sooooo, anyone have ideas about how to frog tiny metallic stitches without ruining your whole project?
Very very pointy scissors - I like using cuticle scissors that have a curve in their point so that you an really slip the point under the thread to snip it. In fact I would suggest using a very small needle to carefully frog one or two stitches, then use a pair of tweezers to hold the loose end o the thread taut and snip as close to the work as you dare.. then frog a couple more stitches till you have enough to grasp with the tweezers again.

Not that I've ever done this before or anything. No, not me! ;)

Glad I read this post as even more tips learned. I'll have to write them all down in a notebook I think as getting so many good ideas from you all even tho it is not me asking. :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Not that I have ever been in that situation (too bad we don't have an icon with Pinocchio's nose growing :oops: ), but I have found that Serinde's suggestion of working from the back really helps protect the other stitches. I clip a few and then use tweezers to pick out the thread.
And work patiently. It doesn't have to be done in one sitting.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

I find when I need to frog something I want to do it all & not wait until another day :roll: A good idea to do what you suggest though Carol as that way you will have a fresher mind when dealing with frogging & not be in such a hurry either. Calm & quiet must be a better way. :D

stitching is beewitching

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I was never good at trying to do that with pointy scissors. I manage to cut other threads just by bumping the points into them. (Maybe my scissors were *too* sharp.) For me, suture scissors are great for frogging. Years ago, I bought a pair of 'frogging' scissors and discovered later that they were just overpriced suture scissors. When you hook the thread in the bottom jaw, you can make sure you ONLY have the thread you want to cut before you make the snip. These scissors are available on Amazon for less than $5.

WIP
Brekkana

Post by Brekkana »

Allyn wrote:Years ago, I bought a pair of 'frogging' scissors and discovered later that they were just overpriced suture scissors. When you hook the thread in the bottom jaw, you can make sure you ONLY have the thread you want to cut before you make the snip.
This is what I need! ***off to go google them***
So many HAEDs I couldn't possibly list them all. Current favorites are Dragon Kin, Sea Unicorns (QS), April Fairy, What's This, Dahlia, and so many starts going on. Love to cross stitch! Find me on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/brekkana.kultiras
Carole

Post by Carole »

Well they look useful.

Not that I ever need to frog or anything :roll:
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

Sparkle

Post by Sparkle »

Thanks everyone! I will attempt to frog this thing when I have a few quiet moments! Lesson learned though....always read directions at least a few times, and don't try to rush the end of a long project...
Oh! And order some of those way cool scissors! :lol:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

A stitcher can never have enough pairs of scissors. Fact. 8)
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Serinde wrote:A stitcher can never have enough pairs of scissors. Fact. 8)
I just got another pair :oops:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

What a good idea. I had to do frogging this week - not a quick job is it?!!

stitching is beewitching

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:
Serinde wrote:A stitcher can never have enough pairs of scissors. Fact. 8)
I just got another pair :oops:
me too :oops:

Carole
:roll:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker