My stitches won't go the same way!

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lellenn

My stitches won't go the same way!

Post by lellenn »

Hi! I'm pretty new at this. I just started stitching last fall. I know the basic stitches are all supposed to go the same way but for some reason I always have to alternate rows because the first stitch of a new row always ends up having to go through the last stitch of the previous row and doing that would just make it unravel. I know I'm missing something!

Example: my stitches start like this: ///// so when I make the top leg \\\\ like that, when I go to a new row the first stitch starts where the last one ended. I'm a lefty if that helps and I really think the tutorials must be missing something here.
Rose

Re: My stitches won't go the same way!

Post by Rose »

So for the next row instead of starting in the bottom left hole and crossing to the top right just start in the top right hole for that stitch. You can start in either of the holes the directions and tutorials are just a basic model to show the stitch they do not mean that you HAVE to do all of them in that exact way. As you go along and get a bit more confidence you will begin to experiment with the style that fits you best.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I'm not lefty,but maybe I can help. The stitches all have to go the same way -- the bottom leg goes one way, for example ///// and all the top legs have to go the other way, for example \\\\\. That doesn't mean you always have to start in the bottom hole and go up diagonally. You can start on the top hole and go diagonally down. If starting the next row in the top hole is bringing the needle up in the same hole you finished the previous stitch (and so doing that leg would 'unstitch' the last leg of the previous stitch) bring the needle up on the diagonal hole. As long as the legs go the correct way on the front of the fabric, you can start in the top or the bottom hole of the leg.

Does that make sense? I can make a diagram if it isn't clear.

WIP
lellenn

Post by lellenn »

I guess those kind of make sense- but if I started in the opposite diagonal hole, wouldn't that be weird going in the same direction? Like if my bottom leg stitches were /// and I started top right and went bottom left then I'd need to go to the left in order to make the stitching on the back look the same. If I were going left to right then the threads on the back wouldn't look |||| they'd look /// same as on the front of the fabric correct? Unless I did that only for the first stitch in that row and then went _ on the backside so the next stitch could start in the bottom left hole.

I'm a bit anal and OCD clearly... :-)
carolanne

Post by carolanne »

All you need to do is the first stitch of the second row that way. from top right hole down to the bottom left. Then continue as usual. If you do your first row and do the second row below instead of on top, you won't have the pull out the stitch problem. Oh by the way, I am a lefty also, I don't think that is a part of the problem.
Rose

Post by Rose »

So you are worried not only about you stitching on the top you want the back to be perfect as well? That is a great thing to strive for but it is not necessary. The back is the back for a reason. I can only help with the front. My backs are what they are I do not worry about those.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
fccs

Post by fccs »

Rose wrote:My backs are what they are I do not worry about those.
Same here - I try to make them as neat as possible but it isn't always a success. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
lellenn

Post by lellenn »

Actually those who said only the first stitch has to go that way - that does help.

And I've had this problem with my second row going below. It seems no matter which way I go I run into the same problem of the first stitch going in the same hole as the last stitch and unraveling the whole thing.

That does help.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I won't say the back doesn't matter at all. For some folks it doesn't, but some folks want their backs to be as neat as possible. I get that. My advice would be at this early stage in your XS learning that you focus more on what the front looks like. Once you develop your technique, if your backs bother you, you'll have a better understanding of how to deal with them. For now, except for dealing with noose-knots and such, don't let what's happening on the back distract you. There are some stitches, especially those in the Tent stitch family, that when properly executed the backs do go ////// instead of |||||.

WIP
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: I agree with what everyone else has said, especially about not worrying at this point about the back. Unless you are planning on entering a competition or are stitching something (like an afghan or bib or towel) that the back may be seen, they are something to worry about later on, if at all. Looking forward to seeing your projects!

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote:Looking forward to seeing your projects!

Carole
:D
Me, too.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
cairee

Post by cairee »

if the bottom leg of your stitch goes from bottom left to top right, and the top leg goes from bottom right to top left then there is no way the next row of stitches will start at where you last stitch ended. if you stitch all your stitches this way working in rows from top to bottom you wont run into that problem
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

lellenn wrote:I guess those kind of make sense- but if I started in the opposite diagonal hole, wouldn't that be weird going in the same direction? Like if my bottom leg stitches were /// and I started top right and went bottom left then I'd need to go to the left in order to make the stitching on the back look the same. If I were going left to right then the threads on the back wouldn't look |||| they'd look /// same as on the front of the fabric correct? Unless I did that only for the first stitch in that row and then went _ on the backside so the next stitch could start in the bottom left hole.

I'm a bit anal and OCD clearly... :-)
:lol: :lol: Clearly!
Another solution to the ones above is to cross the stitch as you go, rather than stitch out and then back. You won't get ||| on the reverse, although it does form a (different) pattern. But it will (1) make it easier to secure threads and (2) make "cross country" stitching a bit easier (often -- not always -- I've found that crossing as I go means less starting and stopping). You almost entirely avoid the problem you mention, too.

If it's any consolation, as a right-hander, I occasionally find myself having to but the \ stitch in from the top left rather than my usual bottom right. Haven't been arrested yet. :thinks: :ribbit: