How do you fit stitching time in?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

nicki3us

How do you fit stitching time in?

Post by nicki3us »

Needing some ideas on how to manage time to stitch everyday if you do? I just simply love to cross-stitch. From the first lesson from my Momma to now I have never lost interest in it. If i could stitch just a little while everyday it is my de-stressor!. But I have now been placed on 3rd shift (1045pm-7am). In my younger days I loved this shift but now well let's just say I am no longer a spring chicken!! I am having a heck of a time just getting enough sleep never mind stitching and it is so aggravating. So since my sleep depraved mind is not thinking clearly I wanted to ask. How do you manage a full time job(if this applies) home and family and still get in some stitching everyday or at least every other? Or am I asking the impossible? I managed it when I worked days but it's not coming so easy to me now. Thanks!
Serinde

Re: How do you fit stitching time in?

Post by Serinde »

You are not asking the impossible at all! Stitching is important as a creative pursuit in its own right, plus all the other benefits. That shift is a killer, I don't need to tell you! :doh:

Can you do your housekeeping -- like grocery shopping, and errands -- when you come off shift on the way home to save time? You obviously know to concentrate on getting enough sleep.

Do you need unwinding time when you come off shift? Even 15 mins of stitching helps. I usually get most of my stitching done when DH is watching TV, especially sport. I'm there... and not there! :oops:

I'm sure others with experience with shift work and juggling work-stitch balance will have ideas.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Not being on shift, I have a little advantage.
I stow my stuff next to my normal armchair. When the family comes to sit down together to watch TV of an evening, I reach to one side and grab my stitching. If it means I can generally only listen to the TV, well, I'm not usually missing much! But I am there with the family, not out in the workshop.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I find it hard to squeeze in the time and energy for stitching at the end of a long day at work. I've recently started setting myself a deadline of 9pm to stop doing housework, etc. so that I can fit in an hour or so of stitching before bed. Stitching forms the first part of my winding down routine before bedtime so I try to to prioritise it and if some of the housework doesn't get done, well so be it. :ratherbe:

I don't work shifts, but if I did I'd probably set myself a routine of 15 to 30 mins of stitching before getting ready for bed, whatever time of day that might be. Like you say, it's a de-stressor and all the sleep experts advise unwinding for a while before bedtime.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Rose

Post by Rose »

I do not work shift work but we do own our own business and that means that even when we come home from the shop we are still not done with our work. There are bills and customer communication and finding parts and on and on. But saying that is differs day to day so my stitching time is after dinner and during the TV watching.....actually listening. I find I have at least an hour per day and sometimes more. I concur with the others that if you set aside at least 15 to 30 minutes just before you head off to bed that will give you the de-stress time and possibly help you relax enough to sleep better.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
fccs

Post by fccs »

It has been years (decades) since I worked graveyard...no way could I do it now. I feel your pain. Depending on when you sleep on your work days (right when you get home, or later so you get up just in time to get ready for work, or split between after work and a nap before), maybe you can sneak in 30 minutes of stitching when you get home before you go to sleep, or maybe get up 30 minutes early to get some stitching in. Even a few minutes a day helps to (1) make progress on your WIP's, and (2) provide the calming therapy stitching provides. Do you get a long enough lunch break at work that would let you get some stitching in there?

I like the suggestion of doing errands on your way home from work, too. You're already out and it will save time for something else later in the day.

When I was on graves, it took awhile for me (and my body) to figure out what sleep schedule worked best. Once that's done, I think you'll find even more time for stitching.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

My most productive stitchy time is after I get up and before I start my day. Maybe you could get some time in then, too???

Also, just stitching ONE strand of floss can be satisfying! I set up my stitchy stand with what I'm going to start with next time, so if I only have 20 minutes, I'm ready to go. Then I can leave it, and still feel I've accomplished something.

It will take time for your body to adjust, so be kind to yourself during this time. It won't take long.

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I work full time, though no kids or pets at home to distract me.
I get most of my stitching time during my lunch hour.
It's also my de-stressor. But when I'm home, there are always other things that grab my attention.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I can't help with the stitching time. We don't have kids in the house and both of us are self-employed so we make our own schedules. However, I did work the 11pm-7am shift a while back and I know it can be challenging to get enough sleep because you're trying to sleep while the rest of the world is awake and active. What worked for me was to take a 'normal' schedule and just rotate it around on the clock to accommodate my shift. That means I woke up at 9:30pm, got a shower and dressed, had breakfast and was at work at 11pm. I had lunch at 3am. I got off work at 7am and had dinner at 9am. I did whatever 'evening' stuff I wanted to do -- housework, stitching, shopping, et al -- and then went to bed at 1:30 pm. I slept with a box fan running in the room to provide white noise so I wasn't disturbed by the rest of the world being awake. That won't work if you have small kids in the house, I know, but you have to find what schedule works for you and then be absolutely fierce about claiming and protecting your sleeping time. If you don't get enough sleep, you'll be scatter-brained and you'll never be able to organize your time.

WIP
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

Like someone else on here said, it's been decades since I worked that shift. I finally went to days and "never" looked back on working that shift again.
At the time I was working that shift, I would only stitch on Sat. Then in 1997, I found my "dream" shift. 4 10 hr. days 3 day weekends, Tues.-Fri.
In 2008, I was laid off that job, started my 11 yr.., and now I stitch 6 days a week. M- S. 4 am.-11 am. M-F. Sats. I stitch 4 am-2 pm.
Just find your "nitch" in sewing time. Don't :hot: over the "small stuff" in life.
Be :D with what time comes your way.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D
meldmac

Post by meldmac »

I know this is a bit of an older thread but wanted to respond. I am having a bit of a hard time finding time to stitch too and really need the time to de-stress so trying to have at least 30 mins a day of stitching. I have a 4 year old so that can be a bit of a struggle sometimes!

I try and get it in while he and hubby are playing or while he's playing the Nintendo or something.
"Some people only dream of angels, I held one in my arms."

WIPS - Red Owl, Super Mario Bros, and Dream Castle
UFO's - Invariance, Rainbow Mermaid
Brekkana

Post by Brekkana »

meldmac wrote:I know this is a bit of an older thread but wanted to respond. I am having a bit of a hard time finding time to stitch too and really need the time to de-stress so trying to have at least 30 mins a day of stitching. I have a 4 year old so that can be a bit of a struggle sometimes!

I try and get it in while he and hubby are playing or while he's playing the Nintendo or something.
I have a four year old as well, almost five, and he still likes to sit with me, so finding stitching time at home can be hard. Usually after he goes to bed. I am lucky in that I can stitch at work as well, so am usually working on more than one WiP at a time. On my off days, I sneak it in here and there ... usually when I have Netflix going for him ... But I find time!
So many HAEDs I couldn't possibly list them all. Current favorites are Dragon Kin, Sea Unicorns (QS), April Fairy, What's This, Dahlia, and so many starts going on. Love to cross stitch! Find me on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/brekkana.kultiras
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

By eschewing internet, especially facebook and email.
Myst..
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I work 8am - 4pm weekdays and I have no kids so I have plenty of time in the evening to stitch and at weekends. Also I limit other interests so I have more time to stitch as that is what is most important to me. When I'm not stitching I'm thinking about it :)
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
nicki3us

Post by nicki3us »

Thanks everyone! Got some really good ideas here. Its been a while since I've been on here. Still on the dratted midnight shift plus taking care of ailing parents and the hubs (chemo) but I am finding some time to stitch. It relaxes me and with all that is going on I find I need it to balance out everything. Since my household is still asleep(2nd shifters) when I get home at 7:30am my housework/stitching is done in the evening and sometimes don't get a chance even then to pick it up then if needed elsewhere. It is a process and it will work out.
Thanks,
Nicki
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I'm not sure I would find any stitching time if I had your work schedule and added home and family responsibilities. Given all that I think you sound amazingly upbeat and positive that you are in a process which will work out! I love that you try to get some stitching time for yourself in the evenings. It is a great way to get away, if only for a little while, and recharge your batteries. I hope that you'll get some time to show us what you are working on now. We'd love to see it. I'm glad that you checked in with us and remember we are always here!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Diane1012

Post by Diane1012 »

I take an hour of time after the baby is asleep and before I go to bed to watch tv ( honestly I listen more than I watch) and stitch. I figure the Grand Canyon wasn't made in a day and neither will my project. Every bit helps.
cairee

Post by cairee »

I bring my stitching to work and stitch on lunch break. lately thats been all the stitching time I have. Really life does get in the way of hobbies at times :ratherbe: Sometimes Ill stay up late working on something at home, but my sleep suffers and I regret it the next day. I know the difficulty of sleeping when you work a graveyard shift, I did that for 6 years, so I dont suggest substituting what sleep you do get for stitching!
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
RedStitcher108

Post by RedStitcher108 »

I'll bring a bit of a different perspective into this thread. I'm currently a full time art student in college with one more semester left to go before graduation. My days mainly consist of going to classes and working on projects for said classes, then coming home to take care of my dog (whom I do receive help taking care of from my parents, so not too many worries there). By the end of the day I'm exhausted from constantly going all day long (having an irregular sleeping pattern doesn't exactly help my matters at all). Upon getting home I would be too tired to do anything that required detailed work. I began trying to regulate my sleep and change some of my night time habits such as being on my computer and phone late into the night and early morning. I've ended up telling myself, in the morning when I wake up, that I'm going to be stitching later that evening; no question about it. It gives me something to look forward to throughout the day while in class or working on projects. It makes me feel more motivated to make time to stitch.