Starching

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

smurfykatt

Starching

Post by smurfykatt »

I was wondering if a light coat of starch after I have finished the project would help to keep it rigid once I frame it. I have seen a lot of projects after years of hanging start sagging. I just don't want it to run the colors. I was also thinking to apply a warm iron on it to help the process. Any thoughts??
Allyn

Re: Starching

Post by Allyn »

Nononononononononono. . . .no. . . did I mention No? Don't starch it. The reason you see stitching sag after a time is it wasn't mounted correctly in the first place. If it is mounted in a proper fashion, it won't sag.

And welcome to the forum. :)

WIP
fccs

Post by fccs »

Allyn wrote:Nononononononononono. . . .no. . . did I mention No? Don't starch it. The reason you see stitching sag after a time is it wasn't mounted correctly in the first place. If it is mounted in a proper fashion, it won't sag.

And welcome to the forum. :)
I agree with Allyn. I have pieces hanging on my walls that were framed 20-25 years ago and they are still perfectly stretched.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

No starch! You've taken all this time to stitch something beautiful. In many parts of the world starch = bugs or discolouration over time. :wip:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

My house has fairly high humidity, so starching would be a bad idea as it would give mould food to start digesting, and once that ran out, what would be next? Only the thread.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation