How do you organize your floss?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

mattcrossstitches

Re: How do you organize your floss?

Post by mattcrossstitches »

So it's been a few years (lol) since my earlier post on this subject, and my system's changed. When I'm working on a pattern, I keep all the bobbins for that pattern together in numerical order on one or more rings, with all the rings together in a ziploc bag. Then I make myself a folding card with punched holes along the edges, marked with the numbers and symbols for each colour. (It's folded in such a way that the floss is on the interior when the card is closed up.)

As I work, I cut chunks of floss off the bobbins and ring knot them onto the appropriate hole in the card. This has been the most practical system I've found so far.
My finished projects
WIP: Ladybugs' Picnic bib, Little Prince bookmark, In the House
Being charted: Challah cover, Kestos Himas
threebluestars

Post by threebluestars »

I keep my floss in those plastic boxes you can get at Michaels. I have two smaller Darice boxes with 7 compartments, and I use those to hold floss for specific projects.

So I don't lose track of what floss I have, I have a printed checklist of all the DMC colours, so I make sure to add a check every time I get a new one, erase the check when I finish one etc, so I don't have to get out the boxes to see if I have everything I need.
piercedprincess

Post by piercedprincess »

I make my own holders from cardboard with holes punched in them ☺️
G187

Post by G187 »

mattcrossstitches wrote:So it's been a few years (lol) since my earlier post on this subject, and my system's changed. When I'm working on a pattern, I keep all the bobbins for that pattern together in numerical order on one or more rings, with all the rings together in a ziploc bag. Then I make myself a folding card with punched holes along the edges, marked with the numbers and symbols for each colour. (It's folded in such a way that the floss is on the interior when the card is closed up.)

As I work, I cut chunks of floss off the bobbins and ring knot them onto the appropriate hole in the card. This has been the most practical system I've found so far.
This is how I'm doing it except i use a sectioned box with bobbins lined up in colour/numerical order and i use punched cards to ring know the colours I've used as I go along (labelled with symbol/floss number)
stryker

Post by stryker »

I started using a LoRan organizing/inventory system about 30 years ago and it is still the best I have found. The Master Cards are set up for a 3 ring binder with 15 holes for floss per card. The cards are inexpensive and made of thick, white poster-board but I recommend reinforcing the binder holes for longevity. The LoRan Master Cards are available online for under $2.50 for 3 cards (holds 45 colors). I organize the floss numerically in a 4" 3 ring (D-ring) zippered binder. It is easy to identify what I have and what I need. The system has saved me mega-bucks by halting the needless purchase of floss I had in inventory. LoRan also has Project Cards (with magnets) to hold the floss needed for an individual project and can be to attach to your Magnet Board holding your grafted pattern.....everything needed at your fingertips.
lucienalta

Post by lucienalta »

I store each color floss in a numbered envelope. When I start a new project all I already have much of the floss the project calls for. If not, it is off to JoAnn's I go. Insert the new floss in numerical order in the box.

https://i.postimg.cc/XYF245N0/Crossstitch-organizer.jpg
fccs

Post by fccs »

I used to use the Loran system stryker described (and still use the project cards at times), but now I bobbinate and keep them in numerical order in bobbin boxes. Yesterday I went through my Sulky petites and organized them by number. That was fun, and now they are in numerical order in the Sulky cases, which have attached plastic pegs to hold the individual spools.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends