When to outline?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Sahari

When to outline?

Post by Sahari »

Newbie here. Have finished the bird part of my bluebird and flowers. I can't decide whether to outline the bird now, or wait until the end. On one hand I'm more familiar with the symbols/colors used in the bird (at the end of the project I won't be) so perhaps following the diagram for outlining, at this point, makes more sense. But maybe there's a better reason for waiting until the very end? I look forward to reading any advice. Thanks! ~S
rcperryls

Re: When to outline?

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! This is a discussion that pops up now and then. Some stitchers do the backstitching all at the end and others do it as they finish individual sections. Most of the projects that I do now have no backstitching, but when I did it really depended for me on the size of the project. Sometimes I would wait till the end and sometimes would do the outlines as I finished major sections. Whatever you are most comfortable with would work. There are very very very few rules in cross stitching. If you find that you don't like back stitching as you go along, then you can always stop and wait till the cross stitches are done.

I hope you will post pictures of your project as you progress through it. We love pictures! Looking forward to getting to know you.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Thanks South Carolina Carole, for your timely reply. I'm Central Florida, dried and electrified before, during and after Irma, Praise Be!
Here's a link to my work in progress: https://s19.postimg.org/mmkjgdodv/Bird_3.jpg" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
I'm sure you've seen this bluebird before -- it's all over the place online (got mine @ WalMart for $3.50).
Here's what it will look like finished: https://s19.postimg.org/vrswa8rsj/Bird.jpg" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Actually, I'm on my second kit since the first time out I botched the counting (doing one color at a time) badly. Before I started the second, I had discovered this site and read thru the Tips for Newbies which made all the difference. Now I'm using a clipboard, rubberband, highligher, and going cross country with multiple needles (not quite parking -- more like loitering).
I can only do a couple hours at a time before my eyes start refusing to grab on, so it's slow going but I don't mind a'tall because I stitch to quiet the mind.
Started out using a hoop but it was more bother than otherwise on this little 5x7 piece. I like the look of the roller frames but don't think I'm ready to jump into such a big piece just yet.
I'll post again w/ the finished product, and ask then for ideas for the next level of work.
Great site, thanks for it. Bye for now, ~Sahari
Sahari

Re: When to outline? -- There IS an answer!

Post by Sahari »

Hello again -- I went ahead and started outlining my project and lo and behold, I discovered that there IS a reason to hold off outlining! In my humble opinion.

It is better to outline last IF the holes you would be using for outlining will need to be used again (for another section that you haven't done yet) because running threads thru holes that hold outline stitches messes with the crispness of the outline.

And that's all I have to say about that. ..... ..... ......

~S
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: so glad you discovered those reasons for not doing the back stitching now. I was going to suggest waiting as the bird is in the middle of a large section of stitching and it is a - - - pain to try and get the b/s in place whilst inserting other colours.
I love that design, so bright and colourful and WELCOME TO THE FORUM TOO from BRISBANE AUSTRALIA.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

A month later... Thanks for the Aussie welcome, Sally! I discovered something else too (should probably post these findings under Newbie Tips):

French Knots are best left for the very last -- even after outlining. The knots I made on the left side aren't nearly as fresh looking as the ones I did today (weeks after the left side knots). I'm left handed, so I hold the piece on the right side too -- don't touch the left! I store it carefully when I'm not working so this wear and tear must be from turning it over to get at something on the back -- resting the 'up' side on my lap!

Now I'm agonizing over whether or not to tear them out... I would if I knew for certain I wouldn't run into any problems with cross stitches underneath. Risky business, that...
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

After washing and ironing all your knots will be like multitwins. For the future one good advice from an oldi who has been stitching for nearly 60 years: working on any project, stick to the following order:

1. All the cross-stitching
2. All backstitch(outlining)
3. French knots.
4. Wash
5 Dry (in the wind preferably on a sunny day but not in the direct sun. If it has to dry in towels, after wrapping and rolling and changing the towels, put it face down on a dry towel to dry to the state when you can iron it without sprincling.
5.Iron from the wrong side on a white thick towel with a white linen spread on the towel to make the surface more even.

6. Leave on a dry white towel for 24 hours "face up" just to make sure it is absolutely dry and only then hide it.

And you will never have troubles.

Happy stitching!
Lyudmila
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Excellent advice there, Podolyanka! :applesauce: I do (almost) exactly that!

I do, however, do some backstitching when I KNOW that a part of the design needs no further attention. I've done some Bothy and Winnie the Pooh designs which rely heavily on backstitch! :doh:
I now avoid those designs which do! :wink:
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

So Aussie Sally, I met my second Sally today while picking out a frame and matte for my (FINISHED!) first cross stitch project:

Now then Pololyanka, about the washing. I couldn't bring myself to wash it. Just can't. I'm afraid it'll all go floating away if I do and I couldn't bear it :tantrum: I also didn't get sticky board to mount it so you can see a few little swells but trust me, it shows more in the photo than it does in person. And glass. I didn't use the glass that came w/ the frame because it felt rude or something, like it couldn't breathe and after all, both the bird and flowers are alive. Seriously though, with the glass in place, the texture vibe is reduced substantially.

Now, to find my second project...
fccs

Post by fccs »

Congrats on a beautiful finish!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

A great finish! In fact washing is not so much for the sake of removing dirt as to remove human fat /greese? which we dont see but have on our hands no matter how often we wash them. But as the picture will "breathe" without a glass, it will not get yellowish where you touched it. If I did not wash a massively stitched tablecloth, after half a year in the wardrobe it would have yellowish spots here and there. Hence my advice on washing.
Looking forward to seeing your new project.
Lyudmila
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Thanks guys... I broke down and spent $3.20 on a sticky board to mount so now it's flat and happy. ~S
Here's my next project, which I won't get until next Wednesday... :cry:

~S
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Hi, Sahari. How beautiful is your next project. I look forward to seeing that.

Your bluebird is so pretty & nicely framed.

The backstitch I leave until last but if I had a lot to do I may try & do some after half way through but not tried that. None of my projects have needed a lot of backstitching, thankfully. As others say, do what you feel most comfortable with, Each to their own. Happy Stitching :D
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Congrats on your beautiful finish and for finding that lovely next project. :whoop:
Sina
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

Congratulations on your finish. I love the little bird. :applesauce: :applesauce:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: What a beautiful finish! If you hadn't said it was your first, no one would have any idea. Love your new project and am looking forward to lots of updates!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker