Mistakes on Emily Peacock HUG chart from magazine

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Edwardian

Mistakes on Emily Peacock HUG chart from magazine

Post by Edwardian »

When comparing the Emily Peacock HUG cross stitch cushion on her website to the chart given as a free gift in Cross Stitcher magazine number 221 I noticed there are 3 mistakes in the chart.

So for all those people currently doing the HUG cross stitch they may want to take these changes into consideration.

Amount of thread required:

In addition, I have put the HUG chart into the DMC Cross Stitch Pattern Designer computer software and the program is stating that the thread requirements are 2 skeins of Brown 3857, 5 skeins of White 3865 and 1 skein each of the other 9 colours whereas the thread requirements listed on the chart from the Cross Stitcher magazine is 5 skeins of Brown 3857, 3 skeins of White 3865 and 1 to 3 skein(s) of the other 9 colours.

**Using 3 strands of DMC Art. 117 stranded cotton 8 metre skeins on 11 count Aida**

This is a significantly different amount of thread so I would like to know if anyone has completed this project and can advise approximately how much thread they used or have left.
Last edited by Edwardian on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*barb*

Re: Mistakes on Emily Peacock HUG chart from magazine

Post by *barb* »

thanks for this, i sent this link to the person i sold my hug chart to. How did you work it out?

I did a project from wos a while back and that also had a printing error, and i ended up having to unpick. :doh:
Current WIP's

* forever friends - "garden swing"
* Dimensions Gold "Four Seasons kittens"
* Dimensions Matted Accents "Kitten and Butterfly"
Edwardian

Post by Edwardian »

Barb,

I worked out that the chart symbols were wrong by logic and then confirmed it by looking at the photographs of completed cushions on Emily Peacock's website.

It is logical that the Brown 3857 is suppose to be a shadow of the "flower" details on the uprights of each letter so they should all be the same on every letter however they are not.

As for the extra Bright Pink 601 stitch on the letter G, this 3-stitch "tent" design is on every letter but the G has a 4-stitch "triangle". Although I did notice that some of Emily Peacock's advertising photographs do have the 4-stitch "triangle" and some do not, so I suppose that one is up to the person doing it.

In addition, I emailed Emily Peacock about the possible mistake with the amount of thread required and she couldn't/wouldn't confirm my theory and advised that the magazine did the conversion work to DMC etc.

By the way, there are a lot more "mistakes" on the KISS chart that comes with the kit and the copies being sold on eBay. I could identify at least 3 different areas of "Brown" shadowing which are either completely missing or have too many stitches and the "Pink" and "Green" banding on the first "S" is incorrect.

In addition, there are love hearts on the first "S" letter that Emily Peacock has completely changed the colour of - but I suppose that is a new topic altogether.
fairyfairy_0

Post by fairyfairy_0 »

Hi there,
I'm new to the forum.
If anyone has a copy of this chart (or the KISS version) I would be forever in your debt.
Thank you for reading!
Mary
(Brighton, UK)
xstitch1

Post by xstitch1 »

thanks for this, I was planning on stitching this from the magazine. You have done a detailed professional work and investigation :wink: