Getting Motivated...

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Natalee

Getting Motivated...

Post by Natalee »

So here I sit doing nothing...which would be a great time to stitch. I just cannot for the life of me pick it up and work on it. What do you guys do when you are like this. I want to but have no motivation to do it. Thought I'd ask my fellow stitchers.
Genevieve

Re: Getting Motivated...

Post by Genevieve »

I sympathise, Natalee. I haven't stitched for about two years. However, in that time, I've taught myself to knit socks and hats, have learned to crochet (I've completed a baby blanket) - and now I've come back to stitching with new enthusiasm. Perhaps you've got a bit stale and need a different challenge. Have you tried Hardanger? Or maybe a new project using threads you haven't used before? You could come back to any WIPs and keep them going in your spare time. :)
milkmaid

Post by milkmaid »

i do have a problem with it as well ,
i tend to plan my next project ,and then i tell myself or my husband does that i shouldn't start another one till i finish this one :oops:
it's got me though the horses in the stream project that i just didn't want to pick up ,hated the blending ,about 30 stitches left to go ,so when my fabric arrives i can start gridding on sat :D :applesauce: for my haed
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

If I have times like this, I give it a break and do something different for a while - such as scrapbook or knit or....*whispers* play with my spiders or something. :shock:

Don't force yourself to stitch if you really don't feel in the mood for it - I find it feels like a chore instead of a pleasure. The stitchybug will soon come back again! :D
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
Natalee

Post by Natalee »

Good news is I picked up my stitching and got to work...on a new project.. :lol: I'm officially starting the January Challenge since I went to the craft store today for supplies. I then took pictures of the projects I'm doing for the Challenge and hopefully for the rest of 2011. Then I made a blog and added my pics in there. Thinking maybe if I get in a slump I can use the blog to get me motivated.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I've hardly been able to pick up my needle last year and this year I just couldn't face the three WIP's I had, as each has an issue on it I need to resolve.

My dogs has some strange colours and I need to exchange them by matching them up myself, which is labourious and time consuming and I can't face it right now.

My big cats was a project I was given and it's a chinese version, the colours just don't look right at all. Thankfully I was given the original pattern in english, so it's a case of a complete restart with this.

Snow Leopard, HAED. I started this, but I'm unhappy with the coverage and the size I'm doing it at. Again, I'm going to have to restart this.

So I've ignored all of them and I had a go at hardanger and I started that Mario sampler and just enjoyed stitching with no concerns for a bit. I made a blog as well! Mine is pretty boring I'm afraid, but I'm enjoying having a go. :lol:
Now though, I'm starting to itch to get back to them, so you could see them appearing again as my WIP's pretty soon!

Glad you're enjoying stitching again as well. Sometimes we just have to break off and do something new.
:applesauce: :applesauce:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Stitching is meant to be enjoyable, so when it becomes a chore, take a break and do something else! I've had this myself, and after a while it just suddenly feels right again :-)

If it's a WIP/UFO that is bothering you and keeping you from stitching (because you feel you "ought to" be doing that instead of a new project), take a good look at it and brace yourself for a difficult decision -- if you think the sight of this UFO is going to stop you from stitching again because it has become an insurmountable hurdle, ask yourself if you are ever going to finish it, if you actually enjoy it, and if, should you start a new project, you are likely to enjoy and finish that new project. If the answers are No No Yes, give the project away to a fellow stitcher who would like to finish it, or to a charity shop, or if no-one wants it try and salvage as much of the fabric and threads as you can, then forget about it and start your hobby afresh. It may seem like a waste, but it will give you your hobby back!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I think everyone at some point experiences this. I have had it a few times but then it the stitchy bug always comes back to me. Usually when I go to a stitching show it brings back my motivation to stitch. :D
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I organize my little stash, look online for future projects (warning.. this can be a bit dangerous), flip through a stitchy catalog, stitch something little like a card with fun bright colors. If I am not motivated after that.. well then I'll throw in a load of laundry, scrub the bathroom floor, do the dishes, clean out the pantry, read a book, watch a movie, try a new recipe. Just take a break from stitching. There are times when I just don't want to stitch.. and thats usually when I make mistakes. If I am not in the mood, I have learned not to fight it and its time for a break. After a week or two (or perhaps a month later) the stitchy bug will bite again.
carladee

Post by carladee »

I also like to sort through my stash when I feel like this, I often find that after doing a bit of stash sorting, browsing on ebay for bargains or looking up new designers/messing about on PCStitch that I'm ready to pick it up again!
*~Carla~*

my blog
my Etsy shop

Currently Stitching - HAED - Hmpf!, Mario Sampler, Chatelaine - Deep Blue Sea, Song of the Weather SAL, Woodland Sampler SAL, L&L - Angel of Summer, Summer Tree of Stitches
HalbertMusik

Post by HalbertMusik »

Hello all-

I find that by starting a new, very small project, that is, something that can be finished in at most 2 evenings (or days if that be your stitch time) :!: ,the quick progression of the piece itself builds up a momentum of it's own. This should help the motivation on all fronts! :dance:

Just my 2-cents worth...

WDH
ladymyste

Post by ladymyste »

I can totally understand the part about not being able to get motivated. It's taken me almost a year to get back into my stitchy mood but now I am. I think my problem is that although I like stitching the changing colors really drives me crazy and after awhile I just get bored with it.
My solution: I bought a couple patterns from Ink Circles that use either variegated or only a couple colors and the designs are great so this is what I am now working on. I really enjoy using Carrie's Silk Threads and the INk Circles patterns and using colors I like instead of what the pattern may show. I know it probably sounds simplistic but it's gotten me back into stitching again and that is really what I needed.
Debbie
phoenix2327

Post by phoenix2327 »

This happens to the best of us. My longest dry spell lasted about 2 years. But eventually the stitching bug returned and I was enjoying cross stitching again.

These ladies have the right idea. If you don't feel like stitching there's no point in forcing yourself because you feel you ought to. You won't enjoy it and isn't that why we stitch or scrapbook or knit? For fun?

When I lose my motivation I find it's usually because I've been working on a large project for too long. So I take a break and work on a smaller project; like cards or bookmarks. They're easy to stitch and it's rewarding to be able to finish them so quickly.

I also have a blog where I post about past projects and needlework in general. It's also a place for me to put my meandering thoughts down.

Sometimes I sketch. I'm no artist but that's not why I do it. I do it because I enjoy it and it usually gets my enthusiasm for stitching going again.

Don't worry if you're not into stitching right now. You will be again, when you're ready. :)

------------
:wip:

Summer Breeze by Paula Vaughn
Celtic Jewel Bookmark from Textile Heritage Collection

------------

http://www.stitchedupbyphoenix.co.uk" target="_blank
brightstarpammy

Post by brightstarpammy »

We all go through slumps
GreekHoneyBee

Post by GreekHoneyBee »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets tired of stitching from time to time, I thought that I was just a bit lax in my hobby! Sometimes I get months where I really can't be bothered to stitch and I don't but then when I get back into it I could stitch all day long and not tire. I think its just a case of doing what you enjoy when you enjoy it and are in the mood for it. If youre wanting a break from it then just do so :)
WIP:
Gracious Era from Gold Dimensions
The Magic of Giving from Needle Treasures

Completed in 2011:
Henry VIII from DMC
Oiralinde

Post by Oiralinde »

I'm going through an unmotivated period as well. I think I have too many commitments and I just need to stop for a bit and look at what I *really* want to do, and work on that for a bit. I'm bored with giving my art away all the time.

Good luck!
Oiralinde is an elven word meaning "eternal song." My life is full of music: love, laughter, and memories.
http://www.oiralinde.com