marking your work

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

welsh wendy

marking your work

Post by welsh wendy »

Hi there :)

When I start on a new project I always mark the top of my material with a T because I have had so many boo boos in the past where after starting my work and putting it down I could never tell which way up it is ment to be and very often I have had to unpick and start again. :roll:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Good idea. Mostly I work on things where the top is obvious (and hardanger is geometrical so it hasn't mattered so far). But I'm thinking about a project where this would be a really good idea. :idea:
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

:D Hi, I used to use the method that Wendy uses, but since start to use fray check I just tack an arrow pointing upwards at the top, particularly if it is a large piece.
an_drea

Post by an_drea »

thanks for this tip
it'a good idea!! :wink:
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

I have read about special pens you can get. You can write/mark you fabric with them, and when youre done you can use a damp cloth and the pen disappears.

I have no idea if they really work as Ive not tried. To be honest I wasnt sure if i wanted to risk it. The pens seem to come in quite prominent colours, like bright purple.

In the past I have looped a little piece of thread onto the top edge. I have also marked a small 't' in pencil along the top.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Purple foot prints

I have used the pens that you are talking about. Not to mark the top of my work but to find the middle of a fabric. They work very well and I am happy to say that before I finish a work the pen marking has disappeared. I guess this must mean I am very slow. I found the pens after a few years of using pencils to mark and having a hard time getting the pencil mark to disappear.
Idun

Post by Idun »

I'm not so "old" in cross-stitching (having re-started after maybe 15 years break), but I found that such pens (or markers) are very handy to use. I'm using one by DMC (I guess from their Linea line). The colour is quite frightening (light blue), but it totally disappears in cold water. Actually, you have to use cold water, otherwise the lines do not disappear!!!
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

I sometimes stick the needel, with the point facing "up", so I know which way the fabric should be, especially at the beginning of the project. After, I just compare the stitched part to the chart, and I can find where i last left off.
Rose

Post by Rose »

When I start a new project I put the silver adjuster on the top of the hoop at the top of the project. That seems to work for me. One time I was upset and started a project with out doing this and put the picture on 90 degrees off boy was I mad then.
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi,

I was reading an old magazine the other day. Someone had written in asked what gift they could buy for their cross stitch mad friend who had everything. They suggested these special pins, which you could use for marker your place, or for when youre counting and want to mark you place.

I can only discribe them as like hat pins. The larger one especailly, was like a hat pin. It had a stopper on the end for safety. And the top end had lovely beads which were very pretty. The smaller one was just like an extra big pin, but also had beads on the end for decoration.

I agree they would have made a nice gift, being something different to the norm and yet still having a use. They were incredibly expensive though.

Years ago I use to make jewelery as a hobby, before cross stitvch took over. Amoung those items I made were hat pins, more or less exactly the same, and I have to say by buying the beads and that separtely and making it didnt cost anywhere near as much!