Organising blended threads?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

cominghome

Organising blended threads?

Post by cominghome »

Hi, could anyone give me some advice on how to store threads for projects that use blended floss. I have the pattern for "Kissing the face of God" by Morgan Weistling charted by Scarlet Quince. (http://www.scarletquince.com/scale.php?pat=WEI001)It is a beautiful picture and I can't wait to get started but it has an enormous amount of blended threads. I now have the threads but am at a loss on how to organise them. Do I pre-cut and blend then put on my bobbins or do I bobbin into normal DMC no.s? I intended to bobbin individually to symbols but... I don't know. This is the first time I've used blended threads (may be a bit too ambitious a project to start with :thinks: )

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rach
WIP:
Janlynn Wedding Bells

Planned Projects:
HAED Angel Sisters
Needle case
Scissor case
SQ Kissing the Face of God (eventually)

My blog: http://cominghometocrossstitch.blogspot.com/
rcperryls

Re: Organising blended threads?

Post by rcperryls »

I haven't used blended threads in a while, but have done a fair amount of charts with them in the past. I would use the cardboard bobbins for these (otherwise I prefer the plastic) and write the numbers of the threads on them and kept them in a seperate bobbin box in numerical order by the first thread number. I usually limited the bobbin to one strand of each thread in the blend as it would vary so much as to how much I would need and I hate wasting thread. I know I'm not explaining this well and someone else will probably be able to give you a clearer idea of what they do. I love the look of blended threads. It gives such a lovely soft feeling to so many designs. The one you are planning on is beautiful. And really it is no different than any other chart, just a matter of figuring out what is the best way for you to organize yourself and if what you start out with doesn't work you can always make adjustments. I hope you will post progress updates as you get started.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

When I have blended, I just keep my threads in DMC order. If I have part of a blended strand left after stitching an area, I use a notecard with holes punched in it. I write the symbol and numbers by the hole and put the left over thread there.
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
cominghome

Post by cominghome »

So by past experience put the blends together then organise? I think that's what you are both saying? It's not easy to explain really is it. lol
WIP:
Janlynn Wedding Bells

Planned Projects:
HAED Angel Sisters
Needle case
Scissor case

Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

Sorry if I was confusion. I organize my threads like I would for a project without any blends. Then, as I start stitching with the blends, if I have thread leftover from what I was stitching with, I attach it to a notecard through a punched hole. I put the symbol and color #s next to the hole so I know which blended color it is. I don't do my blended threads before I start on the project. It is easier for me to just pull the colors I need when I encounter one on the pattern. Sorry if I'm still confusing the issue!

Let me give you an example. The wizard I'm working on now is a Dimension Gold kit with blended colors. I have all of the threads seperated by color--no blended threads. When I have a symbol that is a blended thread, I'll pull those 2 colors out and pull a strand of each to stitch with. I put the rest of the single colors back where they were on my card. If I finish stitching the area and have usable thread left, I put that blended color in a new hole with the #s/names and symbols next to it. I'll use that thread the next time I run across that symbol. If the hole is empty, then I pull from the threads to make another blended thread.
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I think I do the same thing as Busy B (who explained it so much better) but I use bobbins instead of cards.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

yes, busy-bee explained it very well.

i realized i do it the same way, but couldn't have said it better.

thank you ...

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
cominghome

Post by cominghome »

Busy_B wrote:Sorry if I was confusion. I organize my threads like I would for a project without any blends. Then, as I start stitching with the blends, if I have thread leftover from what I was stitching with, I attach it to a notecard through a punched hole. I put the symbol and color #s next to the hole so I know which blended color it is. I don't do my blended threads before I start on the project. It is easier for me to just pull the colors I need when I encounter one on the pattern. Sorry if I'm still confusing the issue!

Let me give you an example. The wizard I'm working on now is a Dimension Gold kit with blended colors. I have all of the threads seperated by color--no blended threads. When I have a symbol that is a blended thread, I'll pull those 2 colors out and pull a strand of each to stitch with. I put the rest of the single colors back where they were on my card. If I finish stitching the area and have usable thread left, I put that blended color in a new hole with the #s/names and symbols next to it. I'll use that thread the next time I run across that symbol. If the hole is empty, then I pull from the threads to make another blended thread.
No that's perfectly clear now. An excellent explanation :applesauce: Thank you. I was considering doing it that way due to what I assume would be an enormous amount of waste floss - not my style at all.

Thanks again.
WIP:
Janlynn Wedding Bells

Planned Projects:
HAED Angel Sisters
Needle case
Scissor case

Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

Glad I was able to help. My mind wasn't wrapped around how to explain it. Enjoy the new project!
Athalie

Post by Athalie »

I do it the same way as busy bee. I've been doing it that way since blended threads were thought of :lol: (I've been stitching for almost 70 years) and that method has never failed me.
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

If I'm using many I use a small plastic wheel (which just has holes punched in it and numbers) and I number the blended symbols.

If I'm not using too many I have little tortoishell rings (actually flowers) and I thread the left over blended colour from any bit onto them.
Myst..
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

I do it the same way as Busy Bee. I'm working on an SQ at the moment with something like 100+ colours, all of which are then blended for the relevant symbols. It was bad enough doing the cards with the regular colours, let alone prepping all the blends in advance, so I simply do the blends as and when I come to them and like Busy Bee, put any left over blend onto a new hole in a punch card and write the symbol and colours next to it. That way I can find it again and also when I need more of that blend, I don't have to chase through the symbol list in the pattern to check which numbers of floss it was.
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
jacindal

Post by jacindal »

I organise my blended threads at the time I use them and then any left over I place the needle on my needleminder or in a hole punched with the symbol in some card to use for the next area. this works really well for me. And no wastage of thread!