How many people use a laying tool?
Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex
How many people use a laying tool?
How many people use a laying tool?
Andre
WIP
Feng Shui "Good Luck" Derwent Water designs
Autumn Oak Leaf
Completed 2012
None yet!
WIP
Feng Shui "Good Luck" Derwent Water designs
Autumn Oak Leaf
Completed 2012
None yet!
-
crafterglen
- Posts: 784
- Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:02 pm
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
- Mystonique
- Posts: 2032
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:10 am
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
I couldn't live without mine. It's called a trolley needle and it attached to any finger or thumb (I'm not sure if a laying tool and a trolley needle are just different names or if the ones that attach are called trolley meedles whilst the pnes you hold are called lauong tools.) I mainly use it for tapestry, it's a whole lot more important to lay stitches flat on the bigger canvas and I use all sorts of threads on them some of which are harder to lay than cotton.
But I have used it for cross stitch and it's very helpful. I find better than railroading or any other method.
But I have used it for cross stitch and it's very helpful. I find better than railroading or any other method.
Myst..
- BizzieLizzie
- Posts: 2029
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:12 pm
- Location: Vale of Glamorgan, Wales
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
I have recently switched from using a trolley needle (the sort you wear on your finger) for railroading to using a laying tool (the sort you hold in your hand) for laying the threads. As much as I liked railroading, I have to say that laying the thread - for me, at least - is much faster and the results are just as good, if not better. I won't be doing any large projects without my laying tool from now on!
Sew many patterns, sew little time!
WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest
WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest
- Mrs Milkybar Kid
- Posts: 4402
- Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:05 pm
- Location: Cornwall,UK
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
I keep meaning to get a trolley needle after Glen's recommendation - they are really helpful for speciality stitches. For the minute I seem to be making do by using a large tapestry needle (#22?) when I feel the need as I am a railroader anyway.
Amanda
Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)
Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)
Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
I've been looking into trolley needles and laying tools as I am going into the speciality stitches more than the cross stitching stuff this year (experimenting is fun)! Trolley needles look erm... dangerous I am way too clumsy I can see me sticking myself several times over! Can get some really pretty laying tools too- looking forward to picking mine up 
WIP:
Talyn the kitten
The Great Escape by Abi Gurden
Pink AKA "Project Confetti Nightmare"
My blog: http://crossstitchnutter.blogspot.com/
Talyn the kitten
The Great Escape by Abi Gurden
Pink AKA "Project Confetti Nightmare"
My blog: http://crossstitchnutter.blogspot.com/
-
crafterglen
- Posts: 784
- Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:02 pm
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
I have to say that when I broke my Celtic Laying Tool (trolley needle?) I was lost and couldn't stitch till my new one came from Nordic Needle in USA, can't get that sort here for some reason? Anyway, don't laugh, but there is always a way round any problem with me, can't stitch? Not an option, get the selotape out put the needle part on my finger as usual, tape in place and stitch till the new one comes, it did work but only just, at least it kept me going till the new one came, honest girls, I cannot stitch with out it, as for stabbing myself? It has never happened and I if it can happen it will to me! I have been known to be fishing in my purse at the check out at Tesco with it on! Don't ask, hubby has given up with me where stitching is concerned I am afraid?
Happy Stitching which ever way you stitch
Glen x
Happy Stitching which ever way you stitch
Glen x
- Mystonique
- Posts: 2032
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:10 am
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
Everyone in my tapestry group uses a trolley needle (30 or so people) and 9'cw never seen or heard of anyone stabbing themselves yet. I would like to see some prettier looking ones though. In the meantime I've paintedime with holographic nail polish - more because I was allergic but that makes it pretty too.
Myst..
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
Isn't trolley needles what catwoman wore on her fingers in Batman Returns?
WIP:
Talyn the kitten
The Great Escape by Abi Gurden
Pink AKA "Project Confetti Nightmare"
My blog: http://crossstitchnutter.blogspot.com/
Talyn the kitten
The Great Escape by Abi Gurden
Pink AKA "Project Confetti Nightmare"
My blog: http://crossstitchnutter.blogspot.com/
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
i use a trolley needle and its great - much easier to have on finger than something to just hold
W.I.P
Still Life with Roses GK
Frost GK


http://www.facebook.com/skitzzzzz" target="_blank" target="_blank
Still Life with Roses GK
Frost GK


http://www.facebook.com/skitzzzzz" target="_blank" target="_blank
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
Thank you for your advice. I will be looking for a trolley needle now.
Andre
WIP
Feng Shui "Good Luck" Derwent Water designs
Autumn Oak Leaf
Completed 2012
None yet!
WIP
Feng Shui "Good Luck" Derwent Water designs
Autumn Oak Leaf
Completed 2012
None yet!
-
annastasia76
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:58 pm
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
ok, I have seen images of those on the internet before, don't think I have ever seen one in the store, I am trying to imagine how in the world you would use it. I saw one one site that sells them that they could be used for smocking. I've done smocking for years and had never heard of them, lol. who knows, maybe my picture smocking would improve if I had one. I have a heck of a time getting the 4 strands to lay flat. does anybody know of any videos showing how you use them???
- pattiebelle
- Posts: 1575
- Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:26 pm
- Location: southern california
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
i just ordered my first trolley needle today, from 123stitch, based on the posts from this very thread !
i've been using my thumb to keep the floss smooth as it starts to lay, so hopefully this will be better!

i've been using my thumb to keep the floss smooth as it starts to lay, so hopefully this will be better!
pattiebelle
"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
http://www.needlenthread.com/2010/11/ho ... video.html" target="_blankannastasia76 wrote:ok, I have seen images of those on the internet before, don't think I have ever seen one in the store, I am trying to imagine how in the world you would use it. I saw one one site that sells them that they could be used for smocking. I've done smocking for years and had never heard of them, lol. who knows, maybe my picture smocking would improve if I had one. I have a heck of a time getting the 4 strands to lay flat. does anybody know of any videos showing how you use them???
-
annastasia76
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:58 pm
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
thank you for the video, I can see how it can be done if you are using a hoop, has anybody ever tried if you are not using a hoop, I do not use one in smocking (don't think it's possible) or cross stitching.
- Mystonique
- Posts: 2032
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:10 am
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
Annastasia I use my trolley needle with a hoop, with a frame and I have used it on occasion freehand although it gives much better results if your work is held taught by a hoop or frame.
It's something that takes a little while to get used to but once you have it's like another limb - you're lost and feel crippled without it.
It's something that takes a little while to get used to but once you have it's like another limb - you're lost and feel crippled without it.
Myst..
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
Well, I've asked round all the local shops and nobody stocks them so off to the internet I guess anyone got any recommendation for the best buy?
Many thanks
Many thanks
Andre
WIP
Feng Shui "Good Luck" Derwent Water designs
Autumn Oak Leaf
Completed 2012
None yet!
WIP
Feng Shui "Good Luck" Derwent Water designs
Autumn Oak Leaf
Completed 2012
None yet!
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
Well, I've asked round all the local shops and nobody stocks them so off to the internet I guess anyone got any recommendation for the best buy?
Many thanks
Many thanks
Andre
WIP
Feng Shui "Good Luck" Derwent Water designs
Autumn Oak Leaf
Completed 2012
None yet!
WIP
Feng Shui "Good Luck" Derwent Water designs
Autumn Oak Leaf
Completed 2012
None yet!
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
I just use a darning needle 
-
crafterglen
- Posts: 784
- Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:02 pm
Re: How many people use a laying tool?
If you just want a darning needle type one you can get them from Cross Stitch Guild,Coleshill and other places, if you want one that goes on your finger like a ring I got mine from Nordic Needle in USA best price and other sites in USA too.
Glen
Glen