Hardanger Help (Mabel!!)

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Trylla

Hardanger Help (Mabel!!)

Post by Trylla »

I've picked up another UCJC piece to work on, and this time it's my Day 3 hardanger project -- Clover I by our own Mabel.

I've finished all of the kloster bocks and have even started cutting some threads and wrapping some bars, BUT I am having a devil of a time tucking in the cut ends into my blocks. Help!

I've spent a little bit of time searching the web for videos to show me what to do, but I can't find anything useful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Trylla
Trylla
WIP
Drama Queen - custom chart (skitzzzzz)

My Blog
Serinde

Re: Hardanger Help (Mabel!!)

Post by Serinde »

Mabel does like to tuck in her ends, and has worked out a way to do this. :)

My take is slightly different. When I stitch the kloster blocks surrounding areas to be cut, I tend to pull the stitches slightly (slightly!) to make the eventual cutting easier to see. When the fabric relaxes, it seems to cover all but the worst ends. But then, I tend to work on really big pieces of tableware, and I'd be mabelling (is that even a term?; is now!) :P for a very long time.

Not much help to you, but I know Mabel will show up here and point you in the right direction.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Did someone call Mabel :-)?

Hi Trylla, I'm assuming that the description in the chart pack hasn't helped? I haven't ever done a video and I'm not sure I can explain it any differently from the way I do in the packs and the FAQ, but I'll have a go!

When you look at the cut edge of the Kloster blocks you will generally see either 2 or 4 ends poking out (2 if you've been cutting very close indeed, 4 if you haven't. I'm a wuss about cutting so I almost always have four :-)).
Because of the way fabric is woven (every thread goes over-under-over-under other threads) when a thread is cut its end will either point slightly upwards (if it was going over a thread at that point) or slightly downwards (if it had just gone under a thread). The ones pointing upwards will always be easier to see than the ones pointing downward.

Now let's start with the ones that point upwards. With your size 24 needle push them up a bit more. Now insert your needle behind the stitches of the Kloster block, and with the tip of your needle flip the two cut ends back on themselves and underneath the perle stitches. (You can use a smaller needle if you find it easier, but try not to catch the perle used for the Kloster blocks.)

Turn over your fabric, and do the same with the two cut ends pointing downwards (if needed).

Hope that helps!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Trylla

Post by Trylla »

Thank you for the help!!

Mabel - I went back and reread the instructions in the chart pack, and they make more sense now. I don't know why I couldn't figure it out yesterday. I think I was trying to tuck them in by folding them back on themselves underneath rather than backwards on top. Does that make sense?

Either way, it is working for me now. See ... my very first properly tucked in set of kloster blocks:

Trylla
WIP

My Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Wow, the difference is very clear, great work!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Wow that looks lovely and what a luscious shade of green...what floss have you used?
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Trylla

Post by Trylla »

nachosmiley wrote:Wow that looks lovely and what a luscious shade of green...what floss have you used?
I'm using Caron Collection Watercolours and Wildflowers in Emerald. It is a delicious shade of green, isn't it?
Trylla
WIP

My Blog
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

What excellent stitching! And that emerald green is delicious, isn't it...