Hating My Project

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

karenstitches

Hating My Project

Post by karenstitches »

So, I ordered a kit a few weeks ago and started it about two weeks ago. I thought the design was really cute, but now honestly I really hate it. Part of that is some decisions the designer made, and part of it is just me, I think.

I don't want to be the type of stitcher who starts and never finishes a lot of projects, so I'm reluctant to put it away and start something else.

My question is, how do know when to stick with a project in case it gets better or just put it away for awhile? Thanks!
Corey.G

Re: Hating My Project

Post by Corey.G »

I had that problem once. It was a dimensions kit of a mother polar bear and two cubs and it was on white Aida. It was torture but a friend of my moms asked me to do it for her, but it took me almost two years to do. At one point there was an off white with a bit of grey and that was only half stitch in one strand, hard to see. I found regular breaks helped. If its for yourself then you could always look at the finished project to try and respark the interest. I also find when I was doing that polar bear kit I kept looking at other peoples works in the SAL and that kept my motivation too.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Sometimes just starting another project which may be different in size and shape and color is enough to give you a break from what you are doing so that you can switch between the projects and find them both fun to do. And if you ultimately hate it and it is a project for you then I don't see why you have to finish it. If this becomes a routine then you might want to look at why you are chosing the designs you do, but if this is a one time thing, I'd look for something new. My guess is that you are getting bored though with it and need a break rather than just dumping or hiding this in the back of a drawer.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

I had one that I didn't like after stitching on it for almost 4 days...then the more I looked at the photo of the design, I still didn't like it. The last straw was when my DH saw the design and said, "that isn't a design you would stitch". Why are u stitching it anyway? So I decided to give the chart away and used the fabric material for a different project. I haven't regret giving it away because it would have taken me a year to do and hating every minute of it.

socialsue :(
karenstitches

Post by karenstitches »

Corey, that polar project sounds like rough going! One of my problems with this project is the color scheme, like yours was with the polar bears. The designer chose to put muted pinks next to muted reds. My eyesight isn't wonderful, even with my glasses/bifocals, and so my eyes really prefer a lot of contrast. I'm really thinking about putting it away in favor of a project I have that uses more blocks, brighter colors, and more contrast. Maybe I've learned a lesson about the color properties of the projects i choose. Thanks for the advice.
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

If I hate a project- I just stop and start on something new. If I am not enjoying the project I am working on- why spend the time and energy to stitch it? I'd rather work on something I find more enjoyable.

We all give you permission to stop what you're working on and switch to a better project.
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

I'm with Maggie - why stitch on a project you don't like when there are so many other ones out there that you probably love! Stitching is a hobby - we stitch because we enjoy it. We won't tell anyone if you choose to abandon this particular project..........
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
Rose

Post by Rose »

Maggie has my vote as well. What is the point of forcing yourself to do something you dislike. This is suppose to be fun not a chore. And if you do force it then you may loose interest in ever doing anotehr project and that is not good. :doh:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I do a rotation and it helps for when you get bored of a particular project. Set yourself a goal of finishing a page, certain section or number or hours etc and then move on to something else and go back when you feel more like doing it.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
karenstitches

Post by karenstitches »

Thanks, everyone! I have decided to put this one away for now and go back to one I bought but never started--a very colorful rooster! Happy stitching.
lucyloo34

Post by lucyloo34 »

I've stopped doing at least three in the past couple of years and haven't picked them up since, its difficult to explain why, it should be fun and if your not having fun definately put it away for a while, hope you find a design to perk you up and make you feel happy again :)
WIP
Haed Sunflower Cottage
Kinkade Beauty and the Beast
Angel

Post by Angel »

I put mine down because I wasn't wenjoying it, but as it's being done on a deadline I refuse to pick up anything else until it's done. As such if I want to stitch I have to do it and that keeps me going.
carolanne

Post by carolanne »

You might consider posting what you've done so far and see if anyone else would like to pick it up and finish, theirs to keep of course. At least the materials wouldn't go to waste. And we all like different things. And if you really dislike it, it wouldn't be on your conscience, taunting you. :wink: :wink:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

The design sounds like one of those pictures that are really lovely, but in reality not at all what you want to sit and stitch. You only have one stitching life: spend it doing the things you enjoy. :wip:
karenstitches

Post by karenstitches »

I like the idea of giving the project to someone who might actually like it. I'll take a pic today and post it on this thread later. Here's a link describing the kit itself, though:
http://www.herrschners.com/product/Work ... h+Kit.aspx" target="_blank
The kit came with 28 ct. mono but I switched to 18 ct aida because I messed up on the mono early on. I've done most of the girl and not much else.
So if anyone is interested, please send me a PM and i'll media-mail it to you.

In other news, I went back to this "colorful rooster" kit I've had for years but had never seriously started, and I'm enjoying it so much more! :P
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I find that if I put it aside and do something else for a while, no pressure on myself one way or the other, my inner stitcher will tell me whether I want to persevere or whether I need to give it away.
Myst..
Aerona

Post by Aerona »

I'd try working on something else for awhile and then see if the project appeals again. If not, I'd find someone else who would like it, give them the chart, and repurpose the materials. Life is too short to work on stuff you don't really like. :D
WIP:
HAED Mini Autumn Cat (18 ct Aida, 2x1 full cross)
HAED Mini Unleash the Butterflies (28 ct Monaco, 2x1 tent)
Reta

Post by Reta »

If i have a project i do not like doing I set a target of 6 strands a day you be surprised how quickly it gets done
Solitaire

Post by Solitaire »

I hated a Maia kit, it drove me mad in places, the symbols where the same except either black or blue and next to each other, loads of half stitches and back stitches :roll:

I was determined to finish as I had wanted the design for ages and it was to go in my bedroom
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

I have has this problem with my Bubble Bath, I have not really enjoyed it but as it was for my DinL I kept going. I promised myself if I stitched a little I could stitch my poppy fairy, it has worked as it is now nearly finished. :applesauce: :applesauce: