Washing Finished Projects

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

Re: Washing Finished Projects

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello Kayjaybee90 and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I wouldn't worry about the threads running as DMC threads rarely if ever run. I wouldn't say it is impossible but very improbably. I have made a lot of afghans using DMC threads and they have been washed in a washing machine and tossed in a dryer numerous times and have never run. For the last 5 or 6 years I have mostly stitched large projects and have used washable fabric markers to grid the fabrics (draw the chart lines directly on the fabric) and have washed those pieces to remove the ink and have never had floss run. It can be different if you are using hand dyed specialty threads, but with most major brands of cotton floss, you should be safe.

I hope that you will stay with us and show us the sampler you are making. We love pictures and we especially love baby samplers and Winnie the Pooh baby samplers are among the favorites of our members.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I've been stitching for 30 years and have only had a red run on me once. To check to see if your threads are likely to run, pull a couple of strands (of the same color) through a wet, white paper towel. If you don't see color streaks on the paper towel, then it's not very likely to run and I'd just go ahead with your stitching. I keep a damp paper towel by me when I'm stitching and pull the thread through it each time I reload a needle. If you do see color streaks, pull out any stitching you've already done in that particular color. Pre-treat all of thread that bled and test it again before you use it.
Lillicent

Post by Lillicent »

Thank you for all the tips on washing finished projects. No matter how careful I am I always end up with marks on the fabric which drive me mad! Will be following your advice from now on
:D :whoop:
:ratherbe: :wub:
'Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my Father. Prepare to die.'
Cherney

Woolite

Post by Cherney »

I have always washed my projects in woolite in cold water. I wash them by hand because I'm afraid that my stitches will come out if I use my machine. When washed with vinegar do you use white vinigar? I know that's a dumb question but please answer it. Even though I stitch advanced patterns there are things I'm still learning.
DisneyStitcher

Re: Woolite

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Cherney wrote:I have always washed my projects in woolite in cold water. I wash them by hand because I'm afraid that my stitches will come out if I use my machine. When washed with vinegar do you use white vinigar? I know that's a dumb question but please answer it. Even though I stitch advanced patterns there are things I'm still learning.
That's what I've always done as well, as it's what my mother-in-law told me to do 30 years ago when she was teaching me to stitch. However, the overwhelming consensus seems to be that Woolite is the devil incarnate. (I've never had any mystery stains show up after project has been framed, and I would think if it were an item that's going to be washed periodically (like an afghan or blanket) then it wouldn't matter)...but I've recently ordered some Orvus to give it a try. ......'course I need to finish a project to do that. :roll:
Last edited by DisneyStitcher on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Also, yes, definitely white vinegar.
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

TheOtherDrew wrote:I've just finished a printed cross stitch that I had to wash. I didn't take any progress pics, but here it is before I cleaned it.

You can see the colour key was printed at the bottom of the aida. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't go away completely but it did.

I let it soak in cold water for about 20 min & lightly squeezed it out a few times. Here it is the next day after I hung it up to dry. (please ignore the wrinkles)

Nice Job! Is that 11 count Aida? What is your method for removing the wrinkles?
:wip:
Skull of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette, Van Gogh, 18ct Aida, 3 over 1.Image
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Normal iron works a treat. If necessary, use steam.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
threebluestars

Post by threebluestars »

Do DMC colours run? I've been afraid to wash the ones I have finished because I don't want to damage them.

Also ... does anyone wash their aida beforehand? I've seen it mentioned, but I never have only because I tend to like how stiff it is at first.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

DMC colours do not run. You are safe washing them.

When using Aida I never washed it beforehand. I think there is some form of size (starchy fabric stiffener) in the fabric which makes it stiffer and easier to use while sewing, and I never wanted to wash it out, just in case it made it less easy to work on. The washed fabric does seem floppier, but that might just be me wanting to see the effect.

I do wash afterwards in a washing machine. I roll the picture up in an old towel, tie the whole thing into a sausage and pop it in in a normal gentle wash (40C, coloureds cycle). Works on my pictures. The longest time to get a completed picture I have ever taken is 9 months, but I have 2 on the go that are heading to 21 months now, and I may finish end of 2020 if I get stuck in and hurry up. I am rather hoping that the fabric will wash up properly after that time.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

I tried out a tip I found about adding salt to washing water & also to the rinses. Have tried that a few times on small works & none of my colours have ever run.

Also I read, think it was in Cross Stitchers Bible or some other well known book, to wash finished projects in tepid water with mild washing up liquid, gently swishing it. I did that as well as using small amount of salt. After several rinses, again with small amount of salt in water, I finally put mine in diluted mild fabric conditioner for a couple of minutes. Then I dry work by lying it flat in a towel on a table or other flat surface. When almost dry, press with an iron on reverse of stitching or if that doesn't work, place a damp piece of plain woven fabric on top of back of work & iron over that pressing hard. Usually that works. I use a dampened pillow case if it needs extra pressing.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

Watch out if you're using a Design Works kit though. They are a bit vague about the colours they use. They quote the DMC colour names and numbers but the small print says the kit may contain another brand of floss SIMILAR in colour to DMC but I have heard of a number of people who found out too late that the similar floss is not colourfast.
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday
Oorangee

Post by Oorangee »

I grid my fabric with ceramic pencil. I used to wash the projects out with mild detergent, but I found retro wash and it is faster acting on washing a finished project in my opinion. I only hand wash, and it doesn't make my hands feel weird.