Washing Finished Projects

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

roo_bear

Re: Washing Finished Projects

Post by roo_bear »

After having to unpick red mistakes I have some red stains in between the blue stitches and although after soaking in warm water with washing up liquid and a little gentle rubbing they have faded I can't get them off completely, they look awful and I can't give it as a present looking like that. Anybody got any ideas, too scared to machine wash.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Well if you are determined not to wash the project then the second best way to remove the red would be to get a lint roller/ masking tape and run the roller/tape over the area that has the red lint pieces on it. You may need to use more then one pieve of lint remover to pick all of the red out. If the tape does not get all of it get a pair of very pointy/sharp tweezers and go in with those and pick the tiniest pieces off.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

*phew* good to hear the stitching's all right. What a nuisance that the red is still there though! Have you tried the "dabbing with masking tape" trick? I've often found it to work.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
roo_bear

Post by roo_bear »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:*phew* good to hear the stitching's all right. What a nuisance that the red is still there though! Have you tried the "dabbing with masking tape" trick? I've often found it to work.
I will try that although the last traces of thread are so minuscule I dunno if it will pick them up and will it stick to my other stitches close by and try pull them out. I spoke to the lady in my local sewing shop about framing and she said that she steam cleans it for free before she frames it but she's not sure if what I've already done will have set the stain, anybody know if that will help?
sandyl

Post by sandyl »

I have always handwashed my projects. I think it helps shrink the holes up or brighten the colors or something. I just use Woolite or Delicare and warm water in the sink and let it sit and swish it around, gently rinse it and dry it in a towel. I remember something about doing a white vinegar wash after the soap cycle, but I don't remember where Iheard that. I always use masking tape on my fabric ends to stop fraying, and it works well. Doesn't come off when you wash it either.
cougalacrafts

Post by cougalacrafts »

It's great to read all the different ways to wash without damage! I have always soaked overnight in some napisan then dried inside and ironed once dry, but I will keep all these other methods in mind too cos some of them will save a lot of time!
Lisa

my website http://cougalacrafts.com/" target="_blank
my blog http://cougala.blogspot.com.au/" target="_blank
Lori0

Post by Lori0 »

cougalalcrafts: I have the same problem with the acid and my needles. In fact, I order my needles by the 100's because I throw out a few on each project (on Ebay) As for having to wash my projects when completed. I only use DMC thread, and I have never had colors fade or run. I use Oxiclean. Soak the project in warm water with oxiclean, then wash in the washing machine in a pillow case. Lay flat to dry, when still damp I iron with another pillow case over my project, clip on a clothes hanger(s) to dry completely. Works like a charm. Again I only use DMC thread.
[/iLoriO]
WIP
Crawfish Boil- Leslie Wristers
Nighttmare Before Christmas-charted by me
As of 2/9/2014 MIA
Antique Shoe Collection= Bucilla. start 3/31/14 from stash
claire81

Post by claire81 »

I usually just hand wash in mild detergent, dry flat and iron on reverse.
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

I have always hand washed my projects in water with a mild dish soap or liquid laundry detergent. I use DMC floss only and have used a vinegar solution from time to time when washing, mostly for projects that contained a lot of red. When working with a hoop or hand held frame, I insert the fabric backwards from usual instructions. Should any unfortunate marks or soiling occur, they will be on the back of the project, not the front. I have ironed my projects only indirectly, with a white cotton pillowcase or towel between the iron and stitched piece. I always give myself time in between drying/ironing and framing, as once I thought a piece was completely dry but then had moisture appear on glass after framing.
Linda
Heidi

Post by Heidi »

WIP:
A Pair of Shoes - Van Gogh (10%)

Completed projects:
Sweet Dreams by Me to You - Tatty Teddy
Emerald Mermaid by Nora Corbett
Hoot Owls - Baby Sleeps Here
Angel Proclamation by Nora Corbett
Mini HAED Rose By Rachel Anderson
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

I'll admit I was too lazy to read all four pages of replies so if this had already been said, I apologize. I've only had a few problems with colors running, I've noticed it usually happens with reds. On another forum I frequent someone suggested that if you're going to soak your piece (not to clean it, but just to help with wrinkles/creases) that you add a tablespoon of vinegar to the water and it will help the darker colors from running. I was skeptical at first but I decided to try it and it actually work. :)
"For me there are neither locks nor bolts, whatsoever I desire is mine."

"sc.andalo.us stitches," my personal blog, can be found at http://sc.andalo.us" target="_blank"
- Levi
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I hand wash mine. I only use Orvus from Proctor & Gamble. It's a PH-neutral, synthetic detergent with nothing added -- no dyes or fragrances or emollients or anything that gets left behind in the fabric and threads. It's water soluble in hot or cold water and it rinses out completely unlike other detergents like laundry detergent -- even gentle-care ones like Woolite or Deft -- that leave behind residues and fragrances. It's sold in small containers as quilt soap, but it's way over-priced when packaged that way. A little bottle of quilt soap -- maybe 8 ozs -- costs about $10 or you can get a 7.5-lb tub of Orvus for $25. I know 7.5 pounds sounds like a lot, but I use it for all my hand washables, it makes a great clarifying shampoo, and I wash the dog with it. It's great stuff. Orvus. . . .get it at your local feed supply store. It's packaged as horse shampoo.

http://www.preservationequipment.com/St ... rvus-Paste" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP
purgatory

Post by purgatory »

thanks for all the tips here

I am getting close to finishing a big project and I will have to wash it as there is a stain and some of the light coloured border which has metallic thread in looks dirty...so that when I have continued stitching there it looks a different colour :oops:

so I will follow in the footsteps of some here and just try simple dish detergent first (I too am not brave enough to send it into the machine :lol: )
Finishes 2013

HAED earth mermaid

WIPs (or even my rotation O.O)

HAED sloth
HAED SK courage
HAED Amanda and Axel
AngelaV

Post by AngelaV »

Very interesting to see that so many people wash their projects. For those of you that do, what are the reasons? I'm wondering if I should start washing mine, though I've never done so in the past. I stitch a lot of Mirabilia patterns on linen. I just hold the linen in my hand as I stitch, so it does end up with some wrinkles, but no major creases. When I'm done, I flip it over and iron gently. By the time it's stretched for framing, the last of the wrinkles are gone. So... I guess I'm asking if there are any other reasons for washing pieces other than removing wrinkles or cleaning up dirt/spots. Will it make the pieces last longer or anything like that? Thanks in advance for your feedback!
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I wash mainly to remove hand oils and dirt from projects before pressing and making it into whatever it is going to be. It takes me a while to work on projects so I know they are grubby by the time I am done. I try to wash hands frequently and not eat while stitching- but I do sometimes. Just looking at how grubby my Q-Snap covers are, I know the same is on my fabric.
I also like to press projects when they are wet.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I agree with Maggie that the reason I started to wash my projects wash because of the grub that is left behind from working larger project and I just got to the habit of washing all of them.

Yes also when I am ironing the fabric having it damp is a bonus. also using the steam setting on the iron helps.

Lastly I am a devotee to aida fabric and most all of it has some type of stiffening on the fabric so washing takes that out. I have also noticed.....although I do not stitch on it.....that some other evenweaves add a stiffener. Not all of them but some do so IF I ever used them I would want to wash that out in the end.

It does not hurt anything to wash them unless you are using a poor quality thread or fabric that might run, but I have never had that trouble.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Louise1262

Post by Louise1262 »

I stitch on linen and Lugana, except for my hardanger, and always handwash finished pieces using lukewarm water and baby bath.
As Rose said some fabric is stiffened and I've noticed that where it is handled the stiffening 'wears off' leaving it patchy.
Also if you're framing it yourself be careful that it is completely dry.
Last edited by Louise1262 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
veerle

Post by veerle »

I never washed my fabrics in the machine....
brrr, don't think I dare to.....

just handwash and a good ironing!
twinkie253

Post by twinkie253 »

I just started cross stitching. I've done two tiny kits, I think they were 2 inches x 3 inches. I've also done one from a pattern I bought that is 4x11" but it's not solid, there are spaces in between the items on it. I'm working on one now that is lots of red and green. I am so nervous to wash all of them but particularly nervous to wash the red and green one. Do you think hand washing is best if you are unsure? Also, do you prewash your threads? I haven't been. I used DMC on the pattern one and I'm not sure what came in the kit.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

twinkie253 wrote:I just started cross stitching. I've done two tiny kits, I think they were 2 inches x 3 inches. I've also done one from a pattern I bought that is 4x11" but it's not solid, there are spaces in between the items on it. I'm working on one now that is lots of red and green. I am so nervous to wash all of them but particularly nervous to wash the red and green one. Do you think hand washing is best if you are unsure? Also, do you prewash your threads? I haven't been. I used DMC on the pattern one and I'm not sure what came in the kit.

I always hand wash unless the thing is something that will be machine washed -- like a hand towel or a baby's bib. I've never prewashed the floss. (The thought of doing that just gives me nightmares.) I haven't had colors run, but I've heard tell of folks who have had reds run. The DMC I wouldn't worry about, but if you don't know what came in the kits, you can put a few stitches of the left over colors in a piece of scrap cloth and wash them to see if they run.

WIP