Basting Questions

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

brims

Basting Questions

Post by brims »

I have a Dimension Craft stocking that I've cross stitched and need some advice on how to finish it.

I want to line the stocking, originally I was going to sew a piece of lining inbetween the front aida and back felt, but I'm now thinking I should line the front and back so that I can have a hem on the rear felt at the top like the front aida is supposed to have. I appologize in advance for not knowing much of the terminology as this is all new to me. I don't know if I should just sew in 2 pieces in between or have a liner that's like a stocking inside a stocking. There appears to be a tutorial from years ago about finishing a stocking but I cannot yet see the pictures due to my low post count.

The instructions for the stocking mention that I should baste the outline of the stocking, when I baste, should I baste the thread matching the exact counts on the grid or should it be basted smoother? Here's an image to help Image
DisneyStitcher

Re: Basting Questions

Post by DisneyStitcher »

There might be an advantage to doing a "stocking within a stocking" liner if your seams are going to be particularly thick when you layer the stocking together. You'd have to be particularly careful with the seam around the stocking's opening so that it will be even when you tuck it in. Why are they recommending that you baste the outline? Is it to provide a guide line for sewing so that you don't push into the design itself? Does the stocking have a fold over cuff at the top?
brims

Post by brims »

DisneyStitcher wrote:There might be an advantage to doing a "stocking within a stocking" liner if your seams are going to be particularly thick when you layer the stocking together. You'd have to be particularly careful with the seam around the stocking's opening so that it will be even when you tuck it in. Why are they recommending that you baste the outline? Is it to provide a guide line for sewing so that you don't push into the design itself? Does the stocking have a fold over cuff at the top?
The instructions say to baste the outline, but don't really give a reason. I'm guessing it's like you said, to give an guide line. The front of the stocking is supposed to be cut with 1 1/2" extra at the top which gets folded over to make a hem on the inside, I'm considering doing something similar on the back; this would mitigate the risk for an uneven seem showing at the top as they would be down about an inch inside the stocking.
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Without seeing your actual project, here's how I think I would tackle it:

1.). I would use a light weight muslin to line the stocking. Sew the muslin to the wrong side of your fabric, 1/8" from the outside edge of your piece, well outside of your actual sewing line. If you are using felt, you don't need to line the back piece. But, if you are using cotton or some other fabric that is a noticeably lighter weight than Aida, I would line the back piece the same way. When adding the muslin, sew all the way around your pieces, including the top edges. Trim the muslin so it is the same size as your stocking pieces.

2.). I would make the back piece the same length as the front piece so that you can fold over the inner cuff on the back also, and not have any raw edges.

2.). On your front piece, baste a line 1/8" outside of your sewing design, but follow the line of your sewing pattern and not necessarily the design pattern.

3.). Fold over your inner cuffs and take temporary tacking stitches at the corners and center on both front and back piece.

4.). If you want a hanging loop, make a tube the width you want out of the backing fabric or any coordinating fabric, cording, ribbon you want to use. Fold it in half so that it is the size you want, making sure any seams face towards the inside of the loop.

5.) Lay down your back piece, right side facing you. Then place your hanging loop where ever you want it on the heel side seam, with the loop part going in toward the center of your stocking and the open/raw ends of your loop even with your fabric edge.

6.) Lay your top piece, right side down (wrong side facing you) on top of the back piece. (Your stocking is right sides both facing in with the hanging loop sandwiched between them.

7.). Pin the two pieces together, matching top and bottom of cuffs, and all the strategic parts like the bottom of the toe, the center of the heel, the hanging loop, etc. If you have curves, you might want to make small cuts (do not extend them into the sewing line) to make the seams lay better.

8.). With the stocking front on top, sew the two pieces together following just outside your basting line starting at the top corner, coming all the way down and around and stopping at the other top corner. Do not sew across the top. Take a few backstitches with your machine at the start and stop to knot the seams.

9.). If you like to load down your stockings at Christmas, you might want to sew a second line just outside your first line to strengthen the seam. Additionally or alternatively, if you have less than 1/2" seam left, you could zig-zag the edges. If you have more than 1/2" seam left, you can trim it down, but NOT until you do the two next steps. Once you're satisfied with the finish, then you can trim the final seam closer and zig-zag the edges to keep them from fraying.

10.). Turn your stocking right side out and make sure the seams lie flat, the shape is right, the loop is firmly in the seam, etc. If your seam has lumpy-bumpies, take a chop stick or something else not sharp and gently push the seams out to the correct shape.

11.). If the seams are so thick that they are cutting into your design, turn the stocking wrong side out again, pull out the seam and sew it a little farther out toward the edges. Repeat #10.

12.). Pull out the basting stitches and temporary tacking stitches from steps #2 and #3. Turn it right side out again and give yourself a cookie!

Post your finish, I'd love to see it. I know this is long, but maybe it helps. Good luck!
brims

Post by brims »

Sorry it took so long to reply, I was doing other things and I made a test stocking out of some fabric to make sure I had the idea down pat. Here is the finished product. I cobbled together different ideas on how to finish the stocking based on what I knew I could do. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good for a first sewing project. And it feels much more finished than if I had followed the instructions that Dimensions included. They know how to make a nice cross stitch pattern, but they don't seem to know how to include clear instructions on how to do anything with the finished pattern; at least not for an inexperienced sewer.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:whoop: :whoop: :whoop: What a beautiful Stocking that is I love it. Your stitching is neat and even and the finishing is spot on. A HUGE WELL DONE
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

A great design that makes you smile, on a beautifully finished stocking :applesauce: :applesauce:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Looks pretty darn good to me.

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

richardandtracy wrote:Looks pretty darn good to me.

Richard
and to me too!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

That looks fabulous!!! Congratulations!!! :applesauce: :whoop: :wub: :wub:
Christina

Post by Christina »

Really beautiful!!! :tizzy: :dance: