Which way do you stitch?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Aesandre

Which way do you stitch?

Post by Aesandre »

Having looked at a few guides to cross stitching, and having read a few people's posts, I think I might be doing things backwards.

When I begin a stitch, I start from the bottom right and go to the top left (ie \\\), then stitch from the bottom left to the top right. Is this the way I'm supposed to do it? Is there an advantage in doing it the other way (ie doing // first)?

Thanks

Aesandre
ImageImage
corby_stitcher

Re: Which way do you stitch?

Post by corby_stitcher »

I do it this way, - /////// followed by \\\\\\\\\ i find it easier this way being left handed.
WIP -

Stitch List -
Country Threads - Down On His Luck.
Bearded Dragon - Charted by Skitzzzzz.
darlenes

Post by darlenes »

corby_stitcher wrote:I do it this way, - /////// followed by \\\\\\\\\ i find it easier this way being left handed.
I am right handed and do it this way also. I start my piece in the very middle though.
mechie

Post by mechie »

Aesandre wrote: When I begin a stitch, I start from the bottom right and go to the top left (ie \\\), then stitch from the bottom left to the top right. Is this the way I'm supposed to do it? Is there an advantage in doing it the other way (ie doing // first)?
I stitch the same direction you do, although I start from the top as opposed to the bottom (so top left to bottom right, then top right to bottom left). I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong way to stitch, just what is comfortable for each stitcher. As long as all of your stitches are going the same way, stitch them in whatever direction you'd like (at least that's my take on things :D ),

mechie
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

I stitch bottom left to top right, then bottom right to top left so first i do ///////// then go back \\\\\\\\

So long as all your stitches run the same way, it doesn't matter which way you do them. Its all down to what your comfortable with and prefer.

I was told that by a designer when I model stitched a few pieces
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

There is a really long thread about this somewhere but probably hard to find right now, and its pretty much what works for you. I'm a /// followed by \\\ stitcher and sometimes do one x at a time depending on the pattern. As long as it looks like you want it to and its comfortable for you, that is the way to do it.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

I think I usually do ///// followed by \\\\\\ but in some projects I do \\\\\\ followed by //////. I think it depends on where I start and which way I go first (middle up or middle down or going left or right).
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
Kjers10

Post by Kjers10 »

I like to start from the top, the right corner. If it's not very big, I go from top and down, if it's big, I do from top right to bottom right, and then go more and more to the left (from top and down). My stitches starts ///, then \\\.
kell

Post by kell »

I'm right handed and I start from the top right going to bottom left /, then top left to bottom right \. It's the same way I write the letter "x".
debupnorth

Post by debupnorth »

kell wrote:I'm right handed and I start from the top right going to bottom left /, then top left to bottom right \. It's the same way I write the letter "x".
Ditto for me... Deb
Deb

Currently stitching:
Twelve Days of Christmas, Vanessa-Ann Collection 1991
The Prairie Schooler annual Santa's 1984-2012
Rose

Post by Rose »

I finish the stitch as I go unless the thread ends in the wrong place then I will do a line but I don't even know where I start. I would have to say again it all depends on where I want the thread to end for the next stitch.
Having looked at a few guides to cross stitching, and having read a few people's posts, I think I might be doing things backwards.

This is a great craft becaase no matter how you do it.....you are doing it right!!!!!! :D
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
OctoberLace

Post by OctoberLace »

I'm right-handed and stitch ///// then \\\\\, both starting at the bottom, but that's a personal preference. All that matters is that your stitching is consistent. :applesauce: What you would NOT want is to stitch like this: first //\\///\\\, then \\//\\\///. :doh:
OctoberLace
Active WIPs:
Gigi R's Belles-Lettres D
HAED Angel with Iris (Strelkina)
Pelin Tezer's Berlin Work Sampler
HAED Sistine Chapel
Blog: http://octoberlace.blogspot.com/
Corey.G

Post by Corey.G »

I do it almost the same way as you. I start bottom right to top left. Then top right to bottom left. Somehow, I just find it easier this way.
Aesandre

Post by Aesandre »

Thanks for the reassurances :) I'm right-handed too and tend to do the bottom right quadrant of the pattern first. My stitches all go the same way. It's nice to know that there's a variety of ways to do it and that they're all correct. Different strokes for different folks!
ImageImage
paul

Post by paul »

I do // then \\ and always start in centre, but as I'm working on my Disney project I start anywhere as it don't have to be central on the fabric as long as it fits it the gap I have.

There really isn't a right way to stitch as I'm sure you can tell by all the posts. Just stitch what ever way you find better.
Finished:
Massive Disney design
Freddie mercury (for my mum)
Ocras at play.
Dolphins.
Nanna2Five

Post by Nanna2Five »

I am right handed and I do \\\\\ followed by /////
msufly

Post by msufly »

My stitches always start \\\\ before I do the //// but my priority is always using the least amount of floss...so depending on the pattern, I may make the whole X before going onto the next square, or I won't necessarily always start the \\\\ stitches in the upper left, I may start them in the bottom if I am just starting a new row (moving upwards) etc. The big difference I see in my stitching and all the tutorials is the way I do backstitching. Most tutorials will have you do one back stitch and then skip the hole of #1 so that you come back to hole #1 for #4 (so they're the same)...whereas I'll make #1 & #3 the same...again, it's to save on floss. Hope that makes sense...
Kim

WIPs:
A Summer Ball - Sandy Littlejohns
Camelot Sampler - Teresa Wentzler
(And 14 more!)
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

msufly wrote:My stitches always start \\\\ before I do the //// but my priority is always using the least amount of floss...so depending on the pattern, I may make the whole X before going onto the next square, or I won't necessarily always start the \\\\ stitches in the upper left, I may start them in the bottom if I am just starting a new row (moving upwards) etc. The big difference I see in my stitching and all the tutorials is the way I do backstitching. Most tutorials will have you do one back stitch and then skip the hole of #1 so that you come back to hole #1 for #4 (so they're the same)...whereas I'll make #1 & #3 the same...again, it's to save on floss. Hope that makes sense...
I'm the same on the using least amount of floss thing though I stitch //// and cross them \\\\\. I'm always paranoid, especially with a kit of running out of floss, so I really make it work for its stitches :lol:
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
flosaxby

Post by flosaxby »

I'm right handed but I always go \\\ first then /// and like others I don't always go from bottom to top. If I wanted to get down to the row below then I'd do the cross from top to bottom to get the thread to where it's needed next.

Also I start my designs from the middle and work my way out to the edges.

Flo
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I am right handed and I generally stitch //// then \\\\ starting at the bottom of the stitch. It doesn't really matter which way you stitch- as long as your top stitches are all laying the same way.

I start my patterns in different spots- depending on whatever the chart tells me (yes, I think my charts speak to me) My Cardinal Ball, I started on the center line, on the bottom. It was a mirror image and I wanted to make sure it stayed that way. And I was making adjustments to the top so I had time to figure that all out by the time I got there. The chart I am working on now, Noel, I started in the top left corner and worked down from there. The Nest was a chart that I started in the bottom right corner and worked up.