Counted Cross stitch on linen

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

larsan

Counted Cross stitch on linen

Post by larsan »

Greetings: I was told the other day that when stitching on linen we are not supposed to hoop our work because it could distort the threads. I have been using linen for years - it's my favorite fabric and I always hoop all but small projects. Any thoughts on this? :idea:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Greetings, Larsan.

I have done a bit of work on linen, and I agree that it's a wonderful fabric to work with.

I usually use a frame, but have recently been using a 6" hoop on a bellpull with Cashel linen. I haven't had any problem with it so far, but I always, always take the hoop off when I'm finished . (And if it's a very large and time-expensive piece, I take the hoop off if I go and make a coffee -- but that's mainly because I'm likely to get distracted by boys, dog, work...)

It might be helpful to cross each stitch as you go? I know everyone approaches this differently (as do I, depending on the piece), but with linen, I find the stitiches don't sit properly if I try to put them in first one way, and then cross them on the way back. I get better tension crossing as I go, and perhaps that affects the way they look once they are out of the hoop. A Theory.
larsan

Thanks

Post by larsan »

Like you, I also take my hoop off everytime I'm done stitching. I just started what is going to be a very labor intensive bell pull on 32 count using silk floss - some stitches being over 1 thread and some over 2. It will be gorgeous - - in about 10 years!! :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Oh, I know how that is!

I guess I would put it onto a frame or a roller, rather than risk using a hoop. How big is your hoop?

I've never worked with silk floss. Sounds like this is a very special project. What is it?
larsan

Post by larsan »

My hoop is an 8" one that I like to use. You can adjust the tension on the fabric. The is gong to be a bell pull and it's a pattern by a company called The Drawn Thread. This particular one is Random Thoughts. You use 1 strand of silk througout, some over 1 thread and some over 2. There are also areas of drawn thread techniques. I saw the model done up at the stitch shop and it really is great. The silk floss is nice except that you know every area on your hand that is not silky smooth :)
inuyashagirl

hoops

Post by inuyashagirl »

hi i have never had good luck with hoops or frames so over the years have adjusted to doing it with out either and the stitched turn out great. does anyone else do it this way?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

The silk floss is nice except that you know every area on your hand that is not silky smooth :)[/quote]

There's some hand cream made for gardeners marketed by, I think, Crabtree and Evelyn, which makes a big difference to stitchers' hands. It's also fiendishly expensive, but how often do you have the pleasure of such lovely materials?

Counted cross-stitch on linen

Post by Guest »

Hi all

Like Serinde and Larsan, I have always used a hoop for all my cross-stitching and take it off when not sewing. The only time I don't use a hoop is when I am stitching small designs for cards.

Happy stitching
Linda :)
bagpuss

Register

Post by bagpuss »

Hi Linda and Welcome to The Cross Stitch forum.

Just a note, if you would like to be entered into our compeition you need to register fully and remember to sign in when you are posting or replying.

At the moment I can only see you as a guest.

Have a good day.

Bagpuss. :)