Frame/Hoop help for a newbie...

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

mattyj3nks

Frame/Hoop help for a newbie...

Post by mattyj3nks »

Hi all,

I am fairly new to cross stitch but have just ordered a full kit from a photo of my dog.

The size of the design is 10.5x14 inches.

What size frame/hoop should I get as im guessing without one the floppy aida will get very annoying.
Im not wanting to spend a lot but if it would really help then ni need to get one before I can star.

Any help would be much appreciated.....
cairee

Re: Frame/Hoop help for a newbie...

Post by cairee »

you can use any size hoop you are comfortable holding, as you move it around as needed. I like a 10" for most projects I use a hoop for.
same goes for a q snap frame.

a scroll frame is a little different as it has to be wider than your fabric width. If the design is 10.5" wide the fabric is likely at least 15" wide. so an 18" wide scroll rod is the smallest you should use.

scroll frames are more expensive than hoops

if you go for a hoop get a plastic one not a wooden one. I have yet to find a wooden hoop that holds as well as a plastic one.

hope that helps.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

BooHoo!

I went to price a lap frame. It was much cheaper than I expected AND I had a 40% off coupon, so I bought it. I thought it would be better for holding my big picture. But, it would require folding it...and that will not work. Even my smaller picture will not fit.

Fortunately I did not open it and I have the receipt, so I'll return it next weekend.
RedStitcher108

Post by RedStitcher108 »

I usually prefer using hoops instead of anything else. I would recommend Susan Bates Hoop-La plastic hoops. They are relatively cheap, at least where I live, and are durable for years on end. My mother still has some from her earlier years of stitching. You may need to do some experimenting with different methods to see which you like better; that method would probably require more time and money than just sticking with one thing, but it's completely up to you. Just remember that everybody likes something different.
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

I would use an 8x8 qsnap frame. They're pretty cheap, easy to hold, and keep fabric pretty tight. You'd just move it around to frame the area you want to stitch.
Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram