Floss/ Hand dyed Substitutions

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

loveofthestitch

Floss/ Hand dyed Substitutions

Post by loveofthestitch »

I want to do a Mirabilia in DMC only...if my pattern (gypsy queen) requires caron waterlilies silks, can these be subbed with dmc?
rcperryls

Re: Floss/ Hand dyed Substitutions

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! What a beautiful design you are planning on stitching! I don't know if there are direct conversions from the silks to DMC. We have quite a few experts on threads who may be able to offer some close substitutes. I hope that whatever you decide on, you will stay with us and show us your progress! It is such a colorful and energetic design, I would love to see updates.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

You can of course substitute any thread in a pattern - just means the end result will be different and unique :). As far as Caron Waterlilllies go, there are no direct conversions into DMC as Waterlillies are a variegated thread made up of different colours, or sometimes tones of the same colour whereas DMCs are solid thread colours. You could pick the dominant colour in the thread and find a DMC to match that, or just choose a colour that you think fits in with the piece. I chop and change threads and colours all the time in my work, so don't be afraid to do it!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
fccs

Post by fccs »

If you are using two strands, you could pick two colors similar to the Caron and use a blended needle.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Welcome to the forum :)

As has already been said, you can substitute to your heart's desire. Making substitutes will change the look of the design; that's not necessarily a bad thing, but be aware that making substitutes could alter the look that really drew you to the piece in the first place.

What is it about the Waterlillies that makes you want to shun them?

WIP
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

If you don't want to use Waterlilies -- which is more expensive since it's silk -- but are willing to use the equivalent in a cotton Caron thread, there may be help.

Here is a chart of all the available colours and which style of Caron threads are available in each. And here is a chart of the thread equivalents in general weight.

Your Gypsy Queen design will specify how many strands of Waterlilies to use (probably 2), and from these two charts you'll see a way to substitute either Caron's own thread or find the correct weights of thread. You might be able to use Wildflowers -- it is thinner than a pearl #8.

But given the lustrous nature of silk -- which a DMC or Anchor cotton won't given you -- it might be worth splashing out? :thinks: