Question about placing design on fabric too wide for a frame

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

wendywombat

Question about placing design on fabric too wide for a frame

Post by wendywombat »

I have a design I want to stitch of a village scene. It's a Panorama.
The design is 21" wide by 8" high. I have the fabric for the design which is 27" x12".

I know that I can stitch this in a hoop but now I have my new Millennium Frame and Aristo stand I want to use this. I hate having loads of fabric flapping about when I use the 10" hoop Nor do I want to buy a frame 30" wide that I'd never use again!

So my question is.......Could I turn the fabric 180 degs and have the short side as the top and stitch down the design? Would it make my X's look odd? They would all face the same way whilst I was stitching.
Has anyone ever tried this?
AngieR

Re: Question about placing design on fabric too wide for a f

Post by AngieR »

I don't see why not. My next project is to big for all of mine. I well have to use a hoop. Going to use cloths pins to hold the fabric to make it not so floppy.
Last edited by AngieR on Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angie

Wips
Colorful Rose (Happy Forever) started May 20th 2016
the eagles wings 3 (Happy Forever) started May 27th 2016
Unicorn Garden (Happy Forever) Jan. 6, 2017
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I've only ever used a scroll frame 12" x 24". One picture I did was 30" x 17" on 36" x 23" fabric. I put the 23" direction on the 24" rollers, and the 36" direction wrapped around the rollers, scrolling on as necessary.
All you have to do is hold the frame in a way that makes sense to you relative to the chart. I always hold the roller in my left hand with the 24" direction straight up in front of me (which is probably the orientation you'll have to have the frame in to make sense of the chart). After a while, you can probably change it to a more comfortable orientation.

Hope this helps & doesn't confuse...

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Should be fine. :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
cairee

Post by cairee »

my horses of neptune project is 36" long, I put it sideways on the frame. Im stitching my x's sideways aswell so that they go in the "normal" direction, but its not necessary. I put my pattern sideways to match, its just easier if the pattern and the stitches are oriented in the same direction

my one tip for stitching a design sideways is to watch for symbols that are similar, like < and^ and make sure you are using the right one!
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Yes, I've done it and it is fine to do it that way. It doesn't matter which way the top leg goes as long as they're all the same. I turned the pages so the pattern would be oriented the same as the fabric, put great big "this side up" arrows on the pattern pages so I wouldn't mess myself up changing pages, and I altered the symbol key to rotate the symbols to match the now rotated pattern. Altering the symbol key probably wasn't necessary since I could just rotate the page the same as the pattern and put a "this side up" arrow on it, but knowing me, I would try to put the text the right way up and end up stitching the wrong color for symbols that were the same, just rotated -- like <, ^, >, v or similar.

WIP
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I have done that, turned a long narrow design on its side and stitched sideways. Took a bit of getting used to but it worked ok. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Excellent! :dance: :dance: I knew if I asked here I would get not only the answer but also some 'beware' tips! Thanks Allyn for the 'this side up!' advice! :D

A big thanks to you all!! :grouphug: :grouphug: :toast:

It think it''l be my Winter Project as I have a few things I want to complete first.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I did Gods of Egypt sideways. Worked fine. (Kept the fabric cleaner, too.)