First time stitching with seed beads

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Nicola Main

First time stitching with seed beads

Post by Nicola Main »

I'm currently working on a small project out of a magazine which has seed beads in it, so I've bought the beads (root beer 02023 lovely colour see photo below) and beading needles so was just wondering if anyone has any tips they can share for me as a beginner to stitching with beads. Thanks in advance, Nicola.

Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Mabel Figworthy

Re: First time stitching with seed beads

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

hello Nicola, what a lovely shade of beads, you must be eager to start using them!

I use beads a lot and what I do depends on the project and the bead.

Needles: For size 11 seed beads like these you can usually get away with a size 28 tapestry needle, but you can also use special needles for beads. If you do, look for "(short) bead embroidery needles" rather than "beading needles" - the latter are very long and unwieldy!

Thread: I generally use one strand of stranded cotton, but if your work is going to be handled a lot you may want to use special beading thread which is usually a nylon-type thread I think, or use silk which is also very strong. But on the whole I've always found stranded cotton worked just fine.

Attaching them: I attach them with a single stitch, usuall a half cross stitch but sometimes a straight horizontal or vertical stitch depending on the effect I want. Some people use two strands and first do a half cross stitch through the bead, then the other half of the cross stitch with the two strands going either side of the bead sort of locking it in.

Colour: Usually I use thread in the colour of my fabric, but others prefer using a thread to match the beads. Try both on a scrap of fabric and see which you prefer!

Hope that gives you some ideas :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thanks Mabel very helpful! I'm used to doing a loop start so obviously couldn't do this with a single thread should I just do it with a knot? Also my chart shows the beads right on the holes of the Aida and not in the middle which I think is the norm. Bit confused with that :thinks:
Work in Progress
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

You could do a loop start around your first bead: thread your needle as usual, pick up a bead, leave a loop at the far end of the bead and take the needle through it. Now go down the first hole that a bead needs to sit on.

To position beads on top of the holes rather than on a thread/block, come up in a hole, pick up a bead and go down the same hole. They tend to be a bit more wobbly but should be perfectly secure.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thanks so much Mabel will give that a go when I get to that stage :)
Work in Progress
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've not used beads much, but reading Mabel's clear istructions you shouldn't go wrong.
I love the colour of those beads BTW. :whoop: And the name of the colour....root beer! That made me chuckle :lol:

All we need now is a picture of the project :dance:
kandifloss

Post by kandifloss »

Love the beads, great colour & name! Look forward to seeing them on your work :)

Kandi :rainbow:
Kandi

There is always a rainbow somewhere in the world even If you cannot see one
So never give up hope
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

kandifloss wrote:Love the beads, great colour & name! Look forward to seeing them on your work :)

Kandi :rainbow:
I totally agree!! :D
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

If you are using 2 strands of cotton, you can also try this: as you come up on the first half of the stitch, thread the bead onto the tapestry needle and then finish the stitch as usual. Continue on that row and as you come back when your are completing the stitches, after you come up on the first part of the 2nd half of the stitch, split the two threads so that one goes on each side of the bead. When you pull down to complete the stitch, it will anchor the bead in place. I hope that description makes sense, it works very well for me. I always use threads that match the background that the bead will be on, I feel it makes the bead "pop" better.

I've never had to use a beading needle. I've been able to use both 24 and 28 tapestry needles with no problems. Check the needle before you get going and make sure it fits through the bead, especially the 24. If it doesn't try another needle, some seem to have slimmer eyes than others. Also, remember, the beads have slightly different holes too, if one doesn't fit, just try another.

Find a way to corral the beads so they don't drive you crazy. Some folks like dump a few on a terrycloth towel so they don't roll around. Others prefer to fish them out of the container with the needle tip. The important thing is not to spill the whole container down your chair - that is really, really, really annoying!

Good luck. You may find you like working with beads so much that you opt to replace all your french knots with beads. :wink: