Thread remnants

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Sahari

Thread remnants

Post by Sahari »

Okay, I've read what everyone had to say about how to organize your thread, but I haven't seen anyone talk about what they do with their 'ends.'

I've been working with kits of pre-cut lengths (bobbin users: does each bobbin hold one, continuous length and you cut per your need?) and keeping my remnants (4" or longer) in a heap, which I then have to pick through to find (and match). Not a very elegant solution, but I have to been frugal with kit thread...

What do y'all do? And also, a little tutorial on kit thread vs. kitting-up-yourself thread? And anything else you'd like to throw in, of course!

Thanks!

Sahari
Serinde

Re: Thread remnants

Post by Serinde »

I'm profligate, me. 4" isn't worth me keeping, as I can't think what I'd do with such a small amount to justify finding a space for it. Probably a lack of imagination on my part. :oops: However, I do keep longer pieces, usually wrapped around that colour's bobbin if it's from my own stash. Kits I use seem to have a lot of extra thread, which is nice, as it's generally something good (Anchor or DMC; occasionally Madeira). I certainly keep longer leftovers from those threaded onto the thread keepers they usually provide (or make my own). I don't try to amalgamate "kit" and "own" threads -- got in a real tangle once, trying that! :roll: But I always check my spares before I buy anything new (I shall never in this lifetime need to buy Anchor white thread, that's for sure!)
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I used to save Every scrap until I realised that life was too short to do so!! I have a boxes of every colour of Anchor, a good amount of DMC plus a Whole Heap of duplicates! Why then save anything less than 4" ??? :tizzy: That length will be enough to stitch in the odd forgotten stitch or finish off an area.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

When I am stitching a design with a lot of confetti (like an HAED chart) and know that I will be having to do a lot of single and/or small amounts of one color (maybe three or four) and since I keep the threads on the needle I will keep smaller strands. If I am working on a project that doesn't have as much I don't keep the smaller strands. But over the years between purchases and gifts I have a lot of DMC (one or two full sets for sure and a lot of duplicates). Once I started keeping a fairly up to date inventory I have less duplicates. So remnants go into a mason jar. Have no idea what I will do with it when it's filled. And it is very full now.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I don't keep small pieces. I store my stash in zip-loc baggies. If the piece hasn't been used, I'll put it back in its baggie; but if I've used it, even for a few stitches, it goes in the ort jar. I do almost all blended threads and I park. When I run out of symbols for that needle, I don't research which two colors they were to put them back. I end the thread and the rest, no matter how long, goes in the jar.

I used to put the orts outside to let the birds use them to make nests, but someone told me that using cotton thread in nest building can chill the baby birds because the cotton holds water too long after it rains. I haven't decided what to do with them now, and I honestly don't know if that is even true. I have two jars full. I'll put a stitch or two in and then ort the leftover piece; that's fine. The idea of THROWING THEM AWAY just seems sacrilegious. Go figure.

WIP
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Nice of y'all to chime in here...

Allyn, the baby bird info is interesting -- I'll never forget that bit I'll bet! Question: could you post a link to a blended cross stitch project for me to see? Thanks!

I'm sure there's a Christmas decoration idea somewhere for these remnants. :x At a Dr's office or lab or fertility clinic: test tubes strung up via the rubber stopper, and filled with multi colored thread, flocked on the bottom half. Or wrapped around popsicle sticks and glued and glittered. Or used as hair on a popsicle stick doll, with little fabric cut-out clothes. I sound as cheesy as Amy Sedaris' Craft Corner!

Mostly, it's good to know I can stop worrying about it. :whoop:

Back to my stitchin' corner. Thanks again everyone! :wave: Sahari
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

This is Allyn's 'Color of the Wolf': http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=28274 which is blended.

My 'Gryff' is here, also blended using the same programhttp://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... &start=300

I don't keep the ends, just ball them up and throw them towards the fireplace in my living room. Note, I said 'towards' the fireplace - often they are intercepted and there is another bit of colour decorating a cat in our household.

Regards

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

No problem with using leftovers of threads as long enough pieces just go back onto their own bobbins if you see what I mean.
Lyudmila
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Sahari wrote: Question: could you post a link to a blended cross stitch project for me to see? Thanks!
Certainly! :)
Richard linked my current project, though it is due to be updated soon. The last two finishes were:
Vanitas Still Life
Here: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=24903" target="_blank"

And
TWentzler's Wedding Sampler
Here: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=24903" target="_blank"

And my next project waiting in the wings will also be blended threads.
Reality
(©Eran Fowler)

WIP
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

You do choose intriguing images Allyn! That one is quite disconcerting, and in conjunction with the title, very thought-provoking. It's not something I'd choose to stitch myself but it's really interesting to see them being done by you, they are so different!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:You do choose intriguing images Allyn! That one is quite disconcerting, and in conjunction with the title, very thought-provoking. It's not something I'd choose to stitch myself but it's really interesting to see them being done by you, they are so different!
LOL Yeah, I tend toward the macabre. I'm kinda the polar opposite of fluffy bunnies and butterflies. :D

WIP
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

I think I tend to waste a lot of thread, but I hate stitching with short lengths. So far I've filled a big vase, a decorated wine bottle and what used to be a bottle filled with balsamic vinegar because it looks like a lighthouse. lol My mom has told me that I could probably sell them as art. lol

Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram
Sahari

Bottle fillers

Post by Sahari »

Dawn I love your filled bottles. I had a neighbor who used to hang stuff like that on trees and it looked really cool. And yeah, I hate sewing w/ short thread too but I'm so paranoid about running out of thread in my kits (my local WalMart and JoAnn's doesn't have a big selection and I avoid paying for shipping like the plague) because when I read reviews for various projects it's not uncommon to see a complaint that the thread included isn't enough... Granted I'm only on my second project so maybe once I have a bunch under my belt, and haven't run out, I'll lose the compulsion. Do you buy patterns and thread separately most of the time? ~Sahari
dawn0621

Re: Bottle fillers

Post by dawn0621 »

Sahari wrote:Dawn I love your filled bottles. I had a neighbor who used to hang stuff like that on trees and it looked really cool. And yeah, I hate sewing w/ short thread too but I'm so paranoid about running out of thread in my kits (my local WalMart and JoAnn's doesn't have a big selection and I avoid paying for shipping like the plague) because when I read reviews for various projects it's not uncommon to see a complaint that the thread included isn't enough... Granted I'm only on my second project so maybe once I have a bunch under my belt, and haven't run out, I'll lose the compulsion. Do you buy patterns and thread separately most of the time? ~Sahari

I hate kits so I mostly try to just buy patterns and use my own thread. Kits almost never have enough thread and I hate sorting and figuring out which color is which. On Italian Vista I've had to find a conversion chart and add my own thread. Some of the conversion colors don't even really match. Oh well. The most recent kit I opened up almost ended up in the garbage after trying to sort the thread. It still might.

Need to find a new bottle to start filling. :applesauce: :lol:
Dawn
Italian Vista
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

Sahari

Buying thread

Post by Sahari »

So what's the best way (in your humble opinion) to buy thread? I've seen plastic compartment boxes with what look to be little plastic cards (?) that are wrapped with thread, and I've seen 'color wheels' of skeins... Is there such thing as buying a whole set of DMC colors or is that ridiculous? Some sites sell the thread per the pattern ordered but do they give enough? I start looking online and get a little overwhelmed w/ all the choices and no practical knowledge to draw from... :shock: Thanks Dawn!
dawn0621

Re: Buying thread

Post by dawn0621 »

Sahari wrote:So what's the best way (in your humble opinion) to buy thread? I've seen plastic compartment boxes with what look to be little plastic cards (?) that are wrapped with thread, and I've seen 'color wheels' of skeins... Is there such thing as buying a whole set of DMC colors or is that ridiculous? Some sites sell the thread per the pattern ordered but do they give enough? I start looking online and get a little overwhelmed w/ all the choices and no practical knowledge to draw from... :shock: Thanks Dawn!

Sometimes you can find someone on ebay who sells all the colors and you can order whichever, and as many as, you want. I have one I've ordered from a couple of times and will again. I've done the craft store thing and waited while they scanned 90 skeins to kit up a project. I try not to do that anymore just because I hate the lines and craft stores. Depending on my budget, I might just start with one skein of a few, or all, the colors and buy more as needed. I'm doing that now with Sunflower Bee. I used to buy the random piles of thread from ebay just to build stash, but I ended up with a lot of colors sitting in boxes that may never be used.
Dawn
Italian Vista
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

fccs

Post by fccs »

Allyn wrote:

LOL Yeah, I tend toward the macabre. I'm kinda the polar opposite of fluffy bunnies and butterflies. :D
@rotfl: @rotfl:

One of the things I enjoy most about this forum is the wide variety of tastes and styles, and the fact we can all admire the work and beautiful stitching that goes into any design, whether or not we would stitch it ourselves.

Example:

Allyn, your taste is a bit different from mine but I love seeing your work and your updates because everything you stitch is just gorgeous.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Sahari

Buying thread

Post by Sahari »

So Dawn (or anyone else who'd like to comment), I found someone on Ebay who sells thread per color, :applesauce: !
Question: The ebay seller listed color numbers and names, and while she had the numbers I required, the names were different than the names my kit uses. Both claim to be DMC colors, so I'm wondering if the difference in names is a common occurrence in Thread World? ... :thinks:

:rainbow: Sahari
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I bought threads on Ebay...ONCE! :doh:
The threads were harsh and slightly dull although they were supposed to be Anchor. After some investigation I found out that they came from India!

Now I buy from reputable sources such as Sewandsew and, OK, I pay a bit more but if I spend my time stitching I want a good result which pleases me. Same goes for the few DMC threads I have. They have come from reputable outlets and not Ebay where you just cannot be sure the source.
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

wendywombat wrote:I bought threads on Ebay...ONCE! :doh:
The threads were harsh and slightly dull although they were supposed to be Anchor. After some investigation I found out that they came from India!

Now I buy from reputable sources such as Sewandsew and, OK, I pay a bit more but if I spend my time stitching I want a good result which pleases me. Same goes for the few DMC threads I have. They have come from reputable outlets and not Ebay where you just cannot be sure the source.
I get that, and I'm careful about who I order from. I've gotten old stuff when I was just ordering piles of whatever bulk stuff just to collect thread, but it's never been that bad.

Sahari wrote:So Dawn (or anyone else who'd like to comment), I found someone on Ebay who sells thread per color, :applesauce: !
Question: The ebay seller listed color numbers and names, and while she had the numbers I required, the names were different than the names my kit uses. Both claim to be DMC colors, so I'm wondering if the difference in names is a common occurrence in Thread World? ... :thinks:

:rainbow: Sahari

This is who I bought from...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DMC-6-Strand-E ... 2749.l2649" target="_blank" target="_blank
Dawn
Italian Vista
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds