Pincushions

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Nicola Main

Pincushions

Post by Nicola Main »

Has anyone ever stitched and made a pincushion? I'm going to an Antiques Centre on Sunday with half a mind for finding one but then wondered if I'd be as well making my own. Anyone have any tips? xxx
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
DisneyStitcher

Re: Pincushions

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I have a really neat book called "Pretty Little Pincushions." There is no author, but it is put out by Lark Books. I have two ISBNs: ISBN 13: 987-1-60059-144-0 and ISBN 10: 1-60059-144-2. There are some very cute projects, with different ability levels. Also try online, I would bet there are plenty of free patterns available. Happy Stitching!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I make Biscornu as pin cushions. Easy and fun. Just Google Biscornu and there are loads of free ones plus a really good description on 'how to make'
I often add lavender to the filling as they make a pretty alternative to pop in a linen drawer.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

It's not pincushions that I need, but thimbles. I tend to use a thimble on my middle finger.
Unfortunately I have man sized fingers (or maybe I should say 'Me sized') fingers. The width of the standard thimbles is 14-16mm. A 14mm thimble is a bit tight on my little finger. I have found commercial thimbles up to 18mm. A thimble that small hurts like billy-oh after 30 seconds on my middle finger.

I have made one from bronze precious metal clay, and it's moderately comfortable having a width of 23mm and height at the opening of 20mm. Stays on moderately well, but isn't as good as a commercial one for gripping the end of the needle.

[Mutter, mutter, grumble]

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Like Wendy, I have used biscornus as pin cushions - a very decorative way.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page