Making a quilt using crossstitch patterns

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Granny Weatherwax

Making a quilt using crossstitch patterns

Post by Granny Weatherwax »

Has anyone experience with making a quilt out of different crossstitch patterns?

I was wondering if I could use aida fabric for it.
And it should be washable as well.

What would you advise me to do?
Last edited by Granny Weatherwax on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyStitcher

Re: Making a quilt using crosstitch patterns

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Yes, I have done it! It's no different than making a regular quilt except you have to put a layer muslin between the Aida and your batting, otherwise the batting will beard through the holes. I cut the muslin to match the size of the Aida and sew it in when I add the sashing or alternating block - that way you don't have the double layer behind areas that don't need it. I hand quilt, so doing the actual quilting going through Aida with that extra layer of muslin makes it a bit tougher to get a stitch rhythm going. (You'll want a bit bigger needle than you probably usually use as the usual ones tend to bend pretty quickly.) If you want to machine quilt it, I would recommend pinning a piece of tissue paper on top of your cross stitched blocks to keep the machine needle from snagging your stitching. If your cross stitch design allows it, you could do outline quilting to avoid going through your stitching at all. Good luck and let us all know how it turns out.
Granny Weatherwax

Re: Making a quilt using crosstitch patterns

Post by Granny Weatherwax »

Thanx for the advice!

Looking forward to making it my next project after finishing Langnek by Thea Gouverneur.

I will post a picture soon, as my gallery opens. :whoop: