Thread heaven substitute?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Kuschelschaf

Thread heaven substitute?

Post by Kuschelschaf »

I apologize if this has already been brought up and discussed. I heard thread heaven is ending production and hoped that wasn't really the case and just a rumor. I'm running out and was trying to find more. 123 stitch doesn't have it and Amazon had limited quantities from 3rd party sellers for $51 each.

I came across something called "thread magic" and was curious. Does anyone have experience with it or know about it? Anyone have any ideas for substitutes? I tried using beeswax and it stiffens the thread way too much. I hate it! I would really be upset without my thread heaven :tizzy:
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
DisneyStitcher

Re: Thread heaven substitute?

Post by DisneyStitcher »

No more Thread Heaven???? Are you sure? Does anyone know why? :( :( :tizzy: :tantrum:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

No guarantees, but I think I may have a practically unused Thread Heaven. Don't know if age effects it at all and it won't solve the long term problem but will help you for a little while. If you want I would be glad to send it to you. Might take a while since you are just up the road from me and the post office seems to have a harder time with short distance vs long distance mailings, but if you pm your address to me I will be glad to look for it (even think I know where it is) and send it to you. Its not being used anyway.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

Thanks Carole! I'll PM you!

I just saw the thread heaven but on my Facebook news feed, so I thought I'd ask just in case it were true. I'm curious about thread magic to see if it works the same. It's about the same price and the logo looks kinda similar.... hmmm
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

It's out of stock at Sew and So... I have some that I won't use. Can add that to your stash. Pm me.
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Sorry but what is Thread Heaven? I've never used it before. Is this something that every cross stitcher should have or get before it's too late?
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

Thanks Serinde!

@Nicola Main - it's a conditioner and protectant for thread. I like it because it makes working with all threads (especially those pesky metallic and blending filaments) more manageable and less likely to fray. Some people use beeswax, but beeswax is rather clumpy for my tastes.

I wouldn't say it's a necessity for all stitchers - I didn't find out about it until I joined here and didn't actually have some in my stash until 2012. My best friend hates the stuff! But, if you try it and like it or pretty much swear by it (like I do) it may be worth looking into because I have no clue if they're stopping production for good.
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thanks for that Kuschelschaf :thumbsup:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I think the "Thread Magic" is essentially the same stuff. (It looks, feels, and smells exactly the same.) I'm certainly going to give it a try before I even consider paying the ridiculous prices that are already popping up on eBay, etc. I also came across an old post about silicon putty ear plugs being essentially the same thing as Thread Heaven. As they were only $3 for a pack of 12, I bought some just to compare. (The Thread Magic was $10 at JoAnn.). The putty discs are almost exactly the same size as the portions in the thread conditioner containers and have a remarkably similar feel/look. I can't find active or inert ingredients on any of the products other than the general description of silica based. Searches through the 40CFR and Chemical Abstract Services have yielded bupkis so I've put in a question to EPA on a lark and we'll see if I get a response. On the off chance all 3 are basically the same product, I'd love to pay $3 for 12 discs instead of $10 for 1. I can pop one of those discs into one of the old containers and be ready to roll!