Camel biscornu question

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Kuschelschaf

Camel biscornu question

Post by Kuschelschaf »

As you all know I love camels. I found a camel biscornu pattern on a blog and I'm slightly confused.

Here's the link to the free pattern: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2i_MDw4fp_A/T ... %D1%82.jpg" target="_blank

Now there are several spots that I find confusing. The pyramids in the back look like they're done in quarter stitch (two symbols per square) wouldn't that just be a half cross? It seems to be labeled as such on the key... also the back stitch seems to start and stop in strange spots. Is there an easier way to do this?

I've been putting this pattern off, even though it looks so easy!
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Serinde

Re: Camel biscornu question

Post by Serinde »

Looks to me as if it's a perspective thing: the two front pyramids are done with two strands and full crosses, but the pyramid in the back is done in two strands but only half cross. At least that's how I understand the instructions...
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

or is it done 1 over 1 on evenweave fabric? When half stitches symbols are on the chart I always just do a 1.4 stitch in the right colour in the corner the b/s thread goes through. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

I had wondered the same thing, Squirrel.

It looks like the chart could go both ways. I'll have to do some playing around to see what it should look like...
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Kuschelschaf, I think it is an easy design, too. Busy, but simple.

I don't think it's done 1 over 1 on evenweave -- or at least the instructions only consider 14ct Aida. Of course, you could do it on 28ct over 1, but why would you want to do that? I think the two symbols in the same block might mean that there are two single stitches in that block, perhaps to create texture. Stitching half a half-cross stitch on Aida wouldn't be much fun, though! If I were stitching this on Aida, I'd do it the easy way, and stitch the back pyramid in half cross in the colour designated. (No stitch police here!)
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Is it a tent stitch to indicate that the background pyramids are more lightly shaded than the foreground ones?
Would introduce a different texture & be lighter in colour, and is the way I'd interpret it, especially as there is a specific entry in the upper right of the key using those symbols which says 'Floss Used for Half Stitches' which I always interpret as bottom left to top right diagonal stitches.

The alternative is to ask the designer...

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

That's how I read it, Richard.