linen sizes

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lytehouse

linen sizes

Post by lytehouse »

Okay Ladies, I have a unique problem.....I want to start "Christmas All Through The House". It's a cross stitch piece with a hardanger piece on top of it (i'll try to attach a pic). and the linen sizes are 36 ct. linen for the cross stitch part and 25 ct. for the the hardanger part. I'm not real keen on having to drive to Denver to get a piece of 25 ct. linen, so here's my question:
What other linen sizes would work so that the piece will mirror up like the 36 and 25 ct will do?
ex. if I use 32 on the bottom cross stitch part, what count to use for the top hardanger section?
Google didn't really know what I was trying to ask :?

https://www.google.com/search?q=all+thr ... nHxH3gCZM:
Last edited by lytehouse on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karen4bells

Re: linen sizes

Post by karen4bells »

Wow, that would be difficult to try to change fabric counts for those two fabrics. I would try to see if 123stitch.com has not counts, and order thru them. Their service is great, as are their prices
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

lytehouse

Post by lytehouse »

Thanks Karen, as a last resort, that's what I might have to do.
But there's nothing like seeing the linen colors with your own eyes too! LOL
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I know what you mean, I did check and they do have both available, depending on what fabric dimensions you need, and with you being so close to them it wouldn't take long to arrive. Looking forward to seeing you stitch this!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Serinde, didn't you stitch this? Any ideas about fabric sizes?

If you take the same percentage of them both and see what comes closest in existing fabric counts you should be all right.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

No, Mabel, I didn't stitch it, but another forum user certainly did. I'd forgotten what a lovely design that is, and I have just reemerged from the rabbit hole I flung myself down online trying to find the original design... (Serinde dusts down her jacket)

All I could find was the retired Bucilla pattern for "House of Hardanger" which uses 18ct Aida and 25ct Dublin linen, all in (I'm guessing) either cream or antique white. Now, the Dublin linen could easily be substituted for 25ct lugana, which will make it slightly less expensive, but changing the size of the fabrics will also change the total size of the piece. Not sure I'd be brave enough to do that. But if I was (and this is without doing any arithmetic, so beware!), I'd guess your only chance would be to do the hardanger in 28ct (either linen or lugana).

But don't quote me!
lytehouse

Post by lytehouse »

We have one local shop here, which is mostly dedicated to quilting....if I can't find the 25 count linen there (which is kinda doubtful) this might have to wait till I can find time to drive to Denver :(
fccs

Post by fccs »

I assume you're talking about Ruth's? I wonder if they could help you with the size changes. I know they are primarily quilting, but the times I've been there, they've been pretty knowledgeable and helpful. (And it's been way too long since I've been...probably three or four years.)

So you have the 36 count and just need the 25 count hardanger?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
lytehouse

Post by lytehouse »

Yes, I have the 36 ct. linen and the hardanger on top calls for 25 ct. Dublin linen in platinum.
I did stop by there today after work, they do have some 25 ct. linen, but only white and raw in any sort of quantity.
So, I'm thinking of heading up to Denver to go to the Stitching Shop up there....even if they don' thave what I'm looking for, it's always a fun day there :wub: