Cross stitched afghan update January 2019

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

stitchnsew

Cross stitched afghan update January 2019

Post by stitchnsew »

So I just finished cross stitching this for my first grandchild-to-be. I plan on backing this with a piece of 100% cotton flannel, sewing it over the edges of this afghan and also sewing along all the borders to stabilize it. The afghan is a Charles Craft 100% cotton cloth, with regular DMC floss. I want this to be able to be used, not just stored away, and if it get dirty, to go ahead and wash it. The directions that came with the afghan said to hand wash in lukewarm water, rinse in cold, and dry flat, which actually I did before starting to stitch on it, to remove any sizing, new smell, and control any shrinkage. I also plan on doing that with the piece of flannel fabric before I sew them together, except I was just going to dry it in the dryer. My question is, once it's being used, shouldn't it just be able to be washed and dried in a regular washer and drier, on low or delicate settings? Will it really mess it up if it's washed in a machine or not laid flat to dry? That seems like too much work , and it's so bulky and would take forever to dry. I should think/hope it could stand up to some regular use. Anyone have any experience with this?
Last edited by stitchnsew on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
WIP
It's About Time-HAED, Ciro Marchetti
Sanctuary of Knowledge-HAED, Randall Spangler
Little Cake Shop-HAED, Aimee Stewart
Coming To Room SS MC-HAED, Jan Krasney
Everything So Beautiful-HAED, Alan Giana
A Stitch In Time-Aimee Stewart
Eden- Andy Russell
Squirrel

Re: Cross stitched afghan-advice needed

Post by Squirrel »

I have not done a stitched afghan but I have made quilts for my grand kids and I always use 100% cotton fabric and 100% cotton thread too. Often sewing machine cotton is or has acrylic in it so make sure it is cotton thread.

As for washing ordinary quilts they are done the same way as the ordinary wash and the same settings and have been ok.

I know several people on here have or are doing stitched afghans and I am sure. they will answer in due course.
Hope this helps.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

The afghan looks GREAT! :whoop: You can absolutely machine wash and dry it when it's finished. I would run a zig zag on the outer edge of the afghan to keep it from fraying. Run both the backing you are going to use and the afghan through a gentle cycle wash and dry to make sure both are pre-shrunk. Iron both pieces separately so they will lay flat and pin liberally when you are putting on the backing so they don't shift/slide. Depending on how big that is, once you have the backing attached I would also consider either doing a running stitch along the natural grid lines of the afghan or doing a decorative little stitch or something in the center of each blank panel to keep the front and back from separating/shifing/stretching out differently with use. Would love to see the finished product!
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

It is either much work(well, not really) or making it good for nothing very soon with machine washing(especially machine drying).

I have made 4 or 5 cross stitched afghans and I always wash them in slightly warm (30 degrees) water with delicate detergent by hands. Then dry it spread on a towel (changing towels if necessary). You may dry it on a washing line as well but not in the too bright sunshine.

If it is really large and heavy, you may wash it in the machine(delicate settings), but I would not recommend drying it there. Hopefully this helps.
Lyudmila
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

What a beautiful afghan. :applesauce: :applesauce: I have made probably a dozen afghans using Charles Craft alphabet afghan, though I've never done the alphabet afghan. They have all been well used. And some have been washed countless times in the washing machine and the dryer with not one suffering any damage. I use cold water and the gentle cycle with regular detergent (I use All hypoallergenic though I don't it matters) for washing and then dry the afghan(s) on the "low" cycle and they come out looking great. I don't put any backing on them or done anything other than use DMC thread. I have also used Queen Anne and Lady Elizabeth afghan fabrics and treated the same way with the same great results.

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Generally, you should always wash any article according the the most delicate material of which is it made. You can’t go wrong that way, and it would be such a shame to ruin such a wonderful afghan, wouldn’t it? Backing with pre-washed, and so pre-shrunk material which has been attached in the ways described sounds perfect. Then I would certainly gentle wash it when required. After all, the baby isn’t going to be depending on this as the only blanket available — so there will be time for washing and drying!
stitchnsew

Post by stitchnsew »

ImageSo here is the finished product, for my new grand daughter. I did wash and dry it in machines and it turned out fine.Image And this is one I made later this past year for my new grandson. Again, washed and dried, all on gentle, with no problem
WIP
It's About Time-HAED, Ciro Marchetti
Sanctuary of Knowledge-HAED, Randall Spangler
Little Cake Shop-HAED, Aimee Stewart
Coming To Room SS MC-HAED, Jan Krasney
Everything So Beautiful-HAED, Alan Giana
A Stitch In Time-Aimee Stewart
Eden- Andy Russell
Podolyanka

Re: Cross stitched afghan update January 2019

Post by Podolyanka »

Both are absolutely beautiful and so perfectly stitched. Very well done. :applesauce: Thank you for sharing.
Lyudmila
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Beautifully stitched, and glad to hear they both held up so well to being laundered!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Wonderful afghans! I love them both!

I stitched one for my Grandson after he was born...he's 16 this year!! :shock: That afghan has been washed many times and is now hanging on his bedroom wall!! He refused to give it up to his sisters!! :lol:
luv2craft

Post by luv2craft »

Great work on these 2.
Lynette
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Wow. They are superb.
I really love the wild animal one.

[There was a time when I thought 'Afghan' referred to a type of dog or someone from Afghanistan. Coming here opened my eyes to a new world of meanings. :oops: ]

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Angelite

Post by Angelite »

Both of these are really beautiful Stitchnsew.
richardandtracy wrote:There was a time when I thought 'Afghan' referred to a type of dog or someone from Afghanistan. Coming here opened my eyes to a new world of meanings.
:D :D :D

Every day's a school day in the wonderful world of cross stitch! So much to learn :whoop:
~Vana~

Works in Progress:

HAED: Lily of the Valley
Heritage Crafts: Gypsy Caravans

2018 Finishes:

Anchor - Victorian Sampler
Heritage Crafts - Hard Frost and Winter Shoes
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

What gorgeous afghans, and what lucky, lucky grandbabies. These will be treasured for years and years. :applesauce: :applesauce:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: I love your afghans. For years that is all that I stitched. Most were gifts. I think,I have photos of one or two in my gallery. They have been washed over and over with no harm done.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

WOW they are Awesome and oh so beautifully stitched with love for sure. I love the colours used in the stitching and the backing fabrics are great too. A wonderful pair of gorgeous quilts to be treasured for at least one lifetime.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

Just wonderful! They will be cherished and become family heirlooms!
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

They are wonderful. They will become family heirlooms.
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

They are both gorgeous :wub: well done :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
poppy

Post by poppy »

I just love them both! You stitched them beautifully. I bet your grandchildren are thrilled with their Afghans. Well done! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

Could I ask you, please, how to attach the lining to the afghan. I haven't got a sewing machine. Did you add any stitches in the squares of the afghan, once you attached the lining to make it more secure?

I have a blank Afghan and the pattern "Woodland Animals" and would love to make one like yours but I would have to line it as my stitching is not very neat at the back.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell