Tips/tricks/ and General HELP....

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

JazzeyBear

Tips/tricks/ and General HELP....

Post by JazzeyBear »

On facebook I'm a member of a local buy/sell/trade group, and yesterday a post came across my newsfeed. A young lady was selling her sewing machine for $15. It's in great condition, still works, has its own table, and she was willing to meet half way for pick up. So after work I pick up my boyfriend (not going alone) and head out to pick up.

Don't mind the mess, it's current sitting in my almost orginazied craft room

Now my question to you all, how do I use it?!? @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
My sister has never used this brand before and hasn't had a chance to come look at it, and I've never used a sewing machine, much less been within feet of one before. It was an AMAZING deal that I couldn't pass up. Any tricks/tips or general information will be helpful
An Angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. And whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth."

2013 Big WIPs
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED 2013 SAL Heather
Blessings
HAED Libra
Forest Chapel
19Roland19

Re: Tips/tricks/ and General HELP....

Post by 19Roland19 »

Google to find instructions for your specific machine. It may require a professional cleaning and oiling.

I'm not sure how you sit with drawers where your legs go.
JazzeyBear

Post by JazzeyBear »

That part opens, not drawers but made to look like them when all closed up.
An Angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. And whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth."

2013 Big WIPs
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED 2013 SAL Heather
Blessings
HAED Libra
Forest Chapel
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I was going to suggest a web search also. There are lots of instruction manuals all over the internet so there must be one. I know absolutely nothing about sewing machines. I bought a little hand held thingy so I could sew the ends of fabric that hadn't been stitched instead of using masking or painter's tape and despite my friend showing me how to use it, haven't been able to make it work right. :doh: Hmmm, don't even know where I put the silly thing now. :thinks: I'm sure once you figure it out you are going to have a grand time. Don't forget to keep us up to date on what you are planning on sewing. Little boys clothing perhaps????

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I agree with the others---see if you can find a model # on it anywhere---back of the machine, underneath it, or on the right side under the flywheel of it---should be a small plate on it somewhere with info, from there you should be able to find a manual online for it--type in something like sewing machine Necchi model #___ manual----and fingers crossed you will be able to find it---
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

What a find! Is that a knee actuator? It must be fairly old, which can be a good thing. Older machines tend to be more sturdily built (more metal; less plastic) than newer models. I did a quick search for "Necchi sewing machine manual" and it returned pages of links to sites that offered operator manuals -- some free download and some for sale. (I wouldn't pay for the manual unless you exhausted all other options.) It also returned the manufacturer's site. Contacting the manufacturer is a good option. If you can find a service manual, I'd grab that, too.

I agree that having it properly serviced would be a good first step. Look locally for sewing machine repair.

WIP
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Good eye Allyn. I didn't notice the knee actuator.

~~

When I was recently given a used White, I got it repaired and oiled for less than half the price of a new machine, and it's probably twice as good .

If you've never used a machine, taking a beginner class is a good idea too.
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

And if all else fails....you could give it to me.m :lol:
fccs

Post by fccs »

Great find! I can't help with the specifics of the machine and agree with the others who suggest Googling the make. And while you're Googling that, Google sewing tips - there are a ton of videos out there.
Allyn wrote:What a find! Is that a knee actuator?
The first machine I used was in a cabinet with the knee control - much easier than the foot pedal, in my opinion. My new machine will just go when I push a button - easier still. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Did the seller give you bobbins and maybe some replacement needles? I see the machine has an auto bobbin winder on top. For a first sewing machine, it's looks like a good one. It has a nice selection of basic stitches (my first machine had only straight stitch and one zig-zag stitch). It has the usual stitches per inch selector, tensioner, et al. Good find! :)

fccs wrote: ..The first machine I used was in a cabinet with the knee control - much easier than the foot pedal, in my opinion. My new machine will just go when I push a button - easier still. :-)
The first machine I used was an old treadle-powered Singer. My mom had to operate the treadle because I was too little to reach it. :) The machines I have now both have foot pedals. I'm used to it, so I don't even think about it.

WIP
JazzeyBear

Post by JazzeyBear »

Thanks everyone!!!!!! Sadly I've only come across manuals that I have to pay for, no free ones. The model number is 534FB, and the manufacturers website doesn't even have the model listed.

If you are talking about the little bar on the inside of the cabinet and it makes the needle go up and down when pushed, than yes it is a knee actuator. It swivels up and down.

It had some thread that was tangled around the needle when u got it home and I was able to get it out, and my fingers were oily when I was finished, so I believe it is well oiled.

No, what I have pictured is what was given. I messaged her on facebook and what she sold is what she had.

I'm excited for my sister to come play with it when she gets off. We've always wanted a sewing machine but they were always sooo expensive

2013 Big WIPs
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED 2013 SAL Heather
Blessings
HAED Libra
Forest Chapel
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I was able to find a page that should at least help you some---it's not a manual, but it is a threading diagram for that model
Here's the link

http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diagram ... iagram.htm

Hopefully you and your sister will be able to get your nice machine up and running soon
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I would still contact the manufacturer and give them the model information and see what documentation they might be able to provide. Even though the model isn't listed, at the very least they should be able to tell you what bobbin number and needle the machine uses. The threading diagram Karen4bells found is a huge benefit. Slide the plate open under the presser foot to see if there is a bobbin inside. If there is, pay attention when you take it out. Some bobbins have to go in a particular side up. Some it doesn't matter which side up, just which way the thread is wound. (Having a few bobbins is better than having just one.)

WIP
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

When I got my first machine, about a year ago, I worked my way through a few free tutorials on Craftsy. One was on machine feet, the other was I think basic stitches. Took me a while to work through- kept starting and stopping.

Get yourself some bobbins ( get correct style- contact manufacturer if seller didn't give you manual), spools of thread and remnant bin fabric and start playing with your machine. Pick up a seam ripper too. Try out the different stitches.. just play.

The first things made were for my machine. So no big deal when I screwed up. I made a cover and a machine mat, a tool bag, pin cushion, tote for my cutting mat. Took me a month.. maybe longer
JazzeyBear

Post by JazzeyBear »

Thanks everyone! There are no bobbins under the plate where they are suppose to go. I'm going to head to joannes tomorrow to talk to them, and see if they have any tips and bobbins/bobbin case. I think when I get back from Vegas (just a few short weeks before I leave. Another story for a different post) that I'm going to spend the $10 for a manual.

My sister can't do anything without a bobbin/bobbin case, so until than i'll occasionally go into my craft room and look at it. Maybe it'll give me that push to finish organizing my room...

2013 Big WIPs
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED 2013 SAL Heather
Blessings
HAED Libra
Forest Chapel
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

What a lovely machine & table you have bought. I do not have any advice as although I have owned a sewing machine, I only made items when necessary - dresses, curtains. Did not use it regularly & after a few years lost the knack of keeping the tensions correct, no matter how I did it, stiches always came out loopy. I never did feel comfortable using it so in the end sold it to a sewing machine shop which also dealt with 2nd hand sewing machines.

I hope you do enjoy using it & look forward to seeing what you make. Happy sewing :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them