Should I wash Aida before I star stitching?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

arrielle1977

Should I wash Aida before I star stitching?

Post by arrielle1977 »

Hello,
I am new to crosshatching and I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I wash Aida fabric before I start the project?
( I did it for Aida Carolina Linen from Charles Craft and it shrunk about 1 to 2 cm both ways. Now holes in the fabric are a little too small and I am afraid the pattern will not come like in the picture)

2. After I finish the project should I wash the project? What if it shrinks even more?

3. If I did not wash Aida in the beginning, but I wash it after I finish the project, is the fabric going to shrink and ruin my project?

4. Is there any chance for the colors of the threads to bleed into each other when I finish and wash the project? I did wash the thread before too, in vinegar actually but...one can never be safe enough :)

Thank you so much.
Sorry for my clumsy English. I am not a native speaker.
rcperryls

Re: Should I wash Aida before I star stitching?

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello arrielle and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! and welcome to cross stitching! I'm afraid I won't be much help in answering your questions since all of my stitching is done on different fabrics than Aida, but many of members stitch all sorts of projects on aida so should be able to help you out. I have never had a problem with threads bleeding, but it depends on the type of thread you are using. The most common thread is DMC cotton floss and it is pretty much colorfast. I have stitched many afghans over the years and have washed them in the washing machine on the delicate cycle and dried them in the dryer on low and have never had a problem. Other threads will tell you if they are colorfast or not and as you get more and more involved in cross stitching, you may want to spread out and try different threads, fabrics and techniques or styles.

And your English looks awfully good to me!

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
arrielle1977

Post by arrielle1977 »

Thank you Carol.
I have been fascinated by crosshatching for a long time, but only now I have some time to get more involved.

Right now I really do not know if I should start my project on the washed fabric or on the not-washed one.
I bought a DMC Carolina Linen from Charles Craft and I cut the fabric in 2 equal parts. I wanted to make 2 different patterns.

I washed half and I kept half in its initial form.

The washed half shrunk about 1 cm on the short side width) and 2 cm on the long side ( length).
Now, because there is a lot of white involved in the pattern I assume I will have to wash the project when I finish it, before I will frame it.

So I do not know now if I should start the project on the washed half or the not-washed one.
Logically I should do it on the wash one, but the holes got really small and it's pretty uncomfortable for the eye even with eyeglasses.

For comfort only I would prefer to use the not-washed half.

So I don't know what to do :)
Thank you anyway.
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Hello and welcome to the Forum!

To begin with, it all depends on the Aida you are going to use. If it is Vietnamese or some other cheap fabric, I cant give any advice as I dont use those just because it would be waste of my time and effort.

1. With high quality Aida ( DMC or Zweigart) there is no need to wash the fabric before stitching.

2. Personally I recommend to wash the project after finishing it, and ironing it after washing while it is still not pepper dry - this makes it look better than if you iron it without washing.

3. The first two answers already have answered this question. DMC and Zweigart Aidas do not shrink after correct washing (30 degrees Celsius water and gentle liquid detergent). If it is a picture, you may handwash it, if it is a full size tablecloth (2.50X1.50 metre)- machine washing with the same gentle mode and gentle detergent and no machine drying- just 600 turns to get rid of too much water).

4. Depends on the threads. I stitch only with Anchor and DMC. They do not bleed into one another, but to be safe, I never soak the fabric after stitching, - once it is in water and detergent, it is washed and then rinsed and gently squeesed( correct word?) dry, and goes onto a thick white towel first for rolling it together with the still wet project to make the latter dryer, then onto another towel- to dry on it face down. If it is a large tablecloth or such like ptoject, it goes onto a washing line face down and in the shade. To be absolutely safe, put a white/light dry towel on the line under your project. Dont let the thing get completely dry because it will be difficult to iron it and the result may be not perfect. I iron on a white sheet folded until it is quite thick, and after ironing the thing on one part of the sheet, move it to another, this makes ironing easier and faster. And the iron is on the wrong side, of course.

I hope this helps.
Happy stitching!

Lyudmila
Lyudmila
arrielle1977

Post by arrielle1977 »

THANK YOU.
So, in short:

- I should start on the not-washed fabric,
- stitch,
- finish ( hopefully :) )
- and, if needed, to wash the final project and iron while damp, with a towel on top.

As previously mentioned, I do not want to find myself at the end of the project, that I ruin it by taking the wrong steps.

Thank you very much
daisymay

Post by daisymay »

Hello & welcome to this forum from Northern Wales :wave: I look forward to seeing what you stitch.

You have details correct except for one thing. After stitched Aida has been gently washed & dried flat until damp, put project with right side on a towel or piece of flat fabric to iron it so the warm iron touches the wrong side of your project. It helps keep the stitches nice on the other side so when you turn ironed piece over to frame it or put it on a card, the stitches show up a little better. I sometimes iron on a pillow case instead of a towel if item is small but I always wash my projects after stitching. I only use Aida fabric & DMC or Anchor threads, mostly DMC threads. Neither of those brands of threads have colours run so gentle washing is fine.

Your English is very good & hope you will post on here again soon. :)
Daisy :)
arrielle1977

Post by arrielle1977 »

daisymay wrote:Hello & welcome to this forum from Northern Wales :wave: I look forward to seeing what you stitch.

You have details correct except for one thing. After stitched Aida has been gently washed & dried flat until damp, put project with right side on a towel or piece of flat fabric to iron it so the warm iron touches the wrong side of your project. It helps keep the stitches nice on the other side so when you turn ironed piece over to frame it or put it on a card, the stitches show up a little better. I sometimes iron on a pillow case instead of a towel if item is small but I always wash my projects after stitching. I only use Aida fabric & DMC or Anchor threads, mostly DMC threads. Neither of those brands of threads have colours run so gentle washing is fine.

Your English is very good & hope you will post on here again soon. :)
Hello and thank you.
Could you tell me please, if you can see my other 2 posts? ( I posted 3 times in total).
I am not sure if some members who replied to my initial post also saw my other 2 ones.
Thank you and thank you for your piece of advice too.
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

I will just add that the first piece of fabric may have shrunk as it was washed in too hot water, I wash all of my projects after they are done but i only use lukewarm water, i run a bowlful with my chosen detergent in and then i just put my fabric in and leave it to soak for about 3 hours have never had a problem just rinse loads with fresh water each time and then follow others instructions. Oh another good habit to get into is always wash your hands before stitching. Good luck with it and do show us your work as you progress.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

arrielle1977 wrote:Could you tell me please, if you can see my other 2 posts? ( I posted 3 times in total).
All of your posts are in the thread and all members should be able to see them. I hope you will continue to share with us.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

First of all :wave: Welcome arrielle its great that you have joined us.

Now first up I am a bit confused and befuddle with the words "Aida" and Linen" as a description for a product. Is it actually Aida with blocks of fine threads then holes or just single threads. If the latter then it is a linen fabric which might explain why the holes are so small. If linen then you need to decide if you are going to stitch 1 cotton thread over 1 fabric thread 1/1 or work 2/2

The only time I was fabric before stitching is when it has opened up and is as stiff as a board. I then cut it to the size I need an soak it in barely luke warm water, laying it out smoothly and iron it before it has dried properly dried.
I always rinse it off after stitching is finished - again luke warm water with a dash of dishwashing liquid, lay out face down on a towel, smooth it square and iron when not quite dry, again face down to help the stitching 'pop' or show up nicely.

To know if either piece of your fabric is large enough for the design, even in spite of the shrinkage you need to check out the finished size on a fabric calculator. Most online stitching sites have a fabric calculator on their web sites and you just put in the number of stitches etc.
http://www.123stitch.com" target="_blank has a good one just click on fabrics and look at the list for where the calculators are and you will soon know if you have enough fabric.
Sure hope I haven't confused you completely.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
arrielle1977

Post by arrielle1977 »

Squirrel wrote:First of all :wave: Welcome arrielle its great that you have joined us.

Thanks for helping me.
Now first up I am a bit confused and befuddle with the words "Aida" and Linen"

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Charles-Craf ... 60&veh=sem" target="_blank

This is what it is.

It is 58% cotton, 22% Rayon, 20% Linen. When I washed it, it shrunk. I liked the color very much, this is why I bought it rather than the classic white one. It looks line sand. Not completely gray but not completely beige either
as a description for a product. Is it actually Aida with blocks of fine threads then holes or just single threads. If the latter then it is a linen fabric which might explain why the holes are so small. If linen then you need to decide if you are going to stitch 1 cotton thread over 1 fabric thread 1/1 or work 2/2

The only time I was fabric before stitching is when it has opened up and is as stiff as a board. I then cut it to the size I need an soak it in barely luke warm water, laying it out smoothly and iron it before it has dried properly dried.
I always rinse it off after stitching is finished - again luke warm water with a dash of dishwashing liquid, lay out face down on a towel, smooth it square and iron when not quite dry, again face down to help the stitching 'pop' or show up nicely.

To know if either piece of your fabric is large enough for the design, even in spite of the shrinkage you need to check out the finished size on a fabric calculator. Most online stitching sites have a fabric calculator on their web sites and you just put in the number of stitches etc.
http://www.123stitch.com" target="_blank" target="_blank has a good one just click on fabrics and look at the list for where the calculators are and you will soon know if you have enough fabric.
Sure hope I haven't confused you completely.

I am not that much concerned about space. But if the canvas is not in its original shape, I assume neither the pattern will be.
Then, as I mentioned previously, the holes gotten smaller and I do not see them that well. I mean, you know Aida has those square holes..The smaller the more difficult to stitch :(
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

If you take the washed piece and mount it in a stitching frame -- Q-Snaps or a hoop, for example -- and get it very taut, do the 'holes' open up again?

WIP
arrielle1977

Post by arrielle1977 »

Allyn wrote:If you take the washed piece and mount it in a stitching frame -- Q-Snaps or a hoop, for example -- and get it very taut, do the 'holes' open up again?
To some degree, yes
But I prefer the new one ( not washed) as is a little harder. I also prefer to stitch without a hoop.
arrielle1977

My first crosstich try

Post by arrielle1977 »

Hello,
First, thank you all for being so helpful. I feel like I found I great community :)
Some of the members encouraged me to show my work when it is goign to be done. I actually started stitching 4-5 month ago on a pattern bought from Walmart.

Here is my first stitching try ever. I did not abandon it, but I think , for a first time try, I aimed too high.
I will go back to it, but I want to do something easier for a while.

I'll post pictures with my new project once I have something to show for.
:)
Thank you again for your help.
arrielle1977

Re: My first crosstich try

Post by arrielle1977 »

arrielle1977 wrote:Hello,
First, thank you all for being so helpful. I feel like I found I great community :)
maybe this time will work
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Arr ... zU=/?ref=1" target="_blank

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Arr ... zQ=/?ref=1" target="_blank
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What a gorgeous design of a beautiful dog. Love it and your beginning is great with neat even stitches.. Thank you for sharing this with us.

WIPS
poppy

Post by poppy »

The little dog is so cute. Great start! :applesauce:
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Going back to your original question about the Aida Carolina Linen. It has been bothering me that both Aida and Linen words were used to describe one piece of fabric.

I did a Google search and Charles Craft Carolina is definitely listed as LINEN on his web site. Therefore of course the holes are smaller than when using aida. As I mentioned earlier you can either stitch using 1 thread of floss over 1 thread of the linen fabric or use 2 threads of floss over 2 threads of linen. Do some experimenting and see which version you like the most.

Good luck and thank you for helping me learn something new about stitching fabric.

WIPS
arrielle1977

Post by arrielle1977 »

Squirrel wrote:. As I mentioned earlier you can either stitch using 1 thread of floss over 1 thread of the linen fabric or use 2 threads of floss over 2 threads of linen. Do some experimenting and see which version you like the most.

Good luck and thank you for helping me learn something new about stitching fabric.

I have already started the project with 2 threads. I think it looks OK but for the second picture ( it's going to be a series of 5 projects - some animals fro DMC website :) )
so...for the second project I'll buy regular beige Aida - no linen in it. I'll go back to the little dog too but changing the color every other stitch is difficult.