Help for big projects

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

welsh wendy

Help for big projects

Post by welsh wendy »

Hello all

I am currently working on Thanking The Great Spirit by Mystic Stitch it has 21 pages of pattern can someone please give me any tips for avoiding the line in my sititching when going form one page to the other :?: . Thanks :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

21 pages! Wow, that's some design.

When I've worked large designs in x-stitch and hardanger, there is usually an overlap between the pages. For example, there might be six stitches on each page edge that's a duplicate. Of course, you only stitch the overlap once! (unless it's late and you stayed up just a bit -- for which read over an hour -- to finish up a section...) Does you design have an overlap like that?

If there's no overlap, can you photocopy the pages so that their edges abutt?

The other handy thing is a pencil so you can mark off where you have been. Some designers are definitely of the "why use 30 colours when 60 will do" school, and it's easy to get lost. Or I find it can be, anyway.
welsh wendy

big projects

Post by welsh wendy »

Hi Serinde

Yes it is rather big with around 83 colours and finnished measures 25" by 15", unfrotunately it does not have the five rows of crossover so it can be a bit of a nusience turning over the pages each time but your idea of photocoping is a good one and i shall give it a go.

This is the biggest one i have tried and i am about a third of the way through it. This year for xmas my partner has said he will get me an even bigger one called Memorial Night in Bancock that one will be 48"x18" and over 150 different skeins so that should make sure to keep me out of trouble for a while both of these are available from Country Designs if you want to take a look.

Thanks again
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi WW

Those are amazing designs. The Great Sprirt design is big and impressive enough. You'll definitely have to put that into the Gallery! Memorial Night in Bangkok is huge. I see it's on white fabric, so presumably that mean you have to stitch the entire sky backdrop as well! The photo on the web wasn't good enough to tell whether the lights were made with metallic threads or little crystals, but it'll be Very Impressive when you finish it.
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi

I did a largish design once, although compared to what youre doing it was tiny.
the chart was in black and white only and had alot of threads to it.

What I did was like serinade says, I photcopied it, and stuck the right pieces together. But I also enlarged it! I have to admit by the time I was done, if I remeber correctly the chart was on A1 size paper.

When stitching I would fold the chart down to a smaller managable size to focus on the area i needed. If it started to get tatty I just re-copied it.

I used different coloured highlighters to mark of areas to be stitched and areas already stitched. I suppose if youve stitched a large area that you no longer need to refer to, you could always cut it off, which might help make a large photocopy more managable.